Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Help an undergraduate student! english translation needed!

Thread: Help an undergraduate student! english translation needed!

clementines

Default Help an undergraduate student! english translation needed!

I'm a health sciences student in desperate need of some translation help. Can anyone translate the following Vietnamese portion of this health brochure?

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/publ...et-smoking.pdf

Also, if you have any personal comments on the quality, content, or language use of this material, (eg. how effective do you think it is? any suggestions for improvement? is the language use appropriate?) that would be extremely helpful too.

Thank you!!!

The brochure is bilingual. The Vietnamese portion is already translated.

If you take a careful look at it, the first page says,Người Việt Nam mong muốn có trái tim khỏe mạnh. which the fourth page (the English portion) translates as "Vietnamese aspire for healthy hearts." The line "Đừng đốt bỏ cuộc đời - bạn hãy nhẹ nhàng với trái tim mình" is translated as "Don't burn away your life - be good to your heart."
    Bạn muốn học tiếng Anh? Hãy bấm vào My Space

A few minor suggestions:

I would translate "Người Việt Nam mong muốn có trái tim khỏe mạnh" as "Vietnamese desire a healthy heart". For "Đừng đốt bỏ cuộc đời - bạn hãy nhẹ nhàng với trái tim mình" I would put "Don't burn away your life - be gentle with your heart".

The words "Việt nam" on page 2 should be "Việt Nam".

Instead of "Ong Trần Quang Nam", it should be "Ông Trần Quang Nam".

"Our family, friends, and loved ones are very precious to us. That is why we need to support each other in life and in health. Did you know that heart disease is a leading cause of death for Vietnamese people? You can do something to beat heart disease. One way to keep healthy is to quit smoking."

"Our family, friends, and loved ones are very precious to us. That is why we need to support each other, especially with health-related issues. Did you know that heart disease is a leading cause of death among Vietnamese people? There are many ways to prevent heart disease, however, one effective way is to quit smoking."

"The hazards are real!"

"The dangers are real!"

"Keep yourself and your hands busy by finding an activity you enjoy doing, like riding your bike or cooking."

"Keep yourself and your hands busy by finding activities you enjoy doing, like riding the bike or cooking."

One more thing.

The phrase "Tôi không hút thuốc để tâm hồn và trái tim được cân bằng. Sức khỏe là vàng!"

is translated in the brochure as

"I don't smoke to keep the tam and tim in balance. Good health is golden!"

"Tâm" is the Sino-Vietnamese word for "tim". So, to say tâm and tim is a bit redundant. My suggestion is:

"I don't smoke to keep my heart (trái tim) and spirit (tâm hồn) in harmony. Good health is golden!"