Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Help Please, 11 year old Viet to English

Thread: Help Please, 11 year old Viet to English

Question Help Please, 11 year old Viet to English

Hi,

I watch an 11 year old Vietnamese child after school. His parents have enrolled him in the public school system. He understands very little English and cannot speak it. Upon having him read a page, he can pronounce and read our language through reading but has no idea what it says or what I am saying most of the time. I do not feel he should be in the public school system, but wish to help him learn to write, speak and comprehend. Where do I start? So far I am relating to him through an online translation. He is getting assignments that he cannot understand. Are there online resources to help me with this and possibly online Vietnamese sites where he can look up topics like Science and Social Studies to assist him with things like reports. Sorry so long, Im just desperate to help him.

Default Good gesture!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mneff View Post
    Hi,

I watch an 11 year old Vietnamese child after school. His parents have enrolled him in the public school system. He understands very little English and cannot speak it. Upon having him read a page, he can pronounce and read our language through reading but has no idea what it says or what I am saying most of the time. I do not feel he should be in the public school system, but wish to help him learn to write, speak and comprehend. Where do I start? So far I am relating to him through an online translation. He is getting assignments that he cannot understand. Are there online resources to help me with this and possibly online Vietnamese sites where he can look up topics like Science and Social Studies to assist him with things like reports. Sorry so long, Im just desperate to help him.
    MNEFF-

First I'd like to applaud you for your efforts in helping this kid. The thing about kids is that they have amazing learning capabilities. I'm sure this kid should possess the same qualities. My suggestion to you is that to start out with the basis first. You gotta to learn how to walk before you can run, right. (No I'm not patronizing you here.) Hence, please teach him the meaning of things/objects first. The kid can't find the solution if he doesn't understand the problem. Moreover, it'd be easier if you're bilingual. This can vastly help both you and the kid with his school work. Talk to your friends or his parents to see if they can find someone who's fluent in English and Vietnamese. Otherwise, you and the kid will incur an incredible amount of frustration. This may hinder his learning experience for the rest of his life.

Good luck and feel free to let me know his progress. Drop me a line if you need my assistance.

Sincerely
    TheLoudViet

Wink Thank You

Thank You! LoudViet... I kinda thought, teaching objects might help. My theory was to make flash cards of normal everyday objects with picture, our spelling and his, so he could compare the two. I think I am more afraid of insulting his intelligence. He is in 6th grade in public school. Just hard to know where he is at in that area. Boy I wish, I was billingual however, his cousins who I also watch after school speak both languages. I have been instructing them at home, that when they speak to him they need to repeat it in american. The objects is definitely a starting point. And I will do that.

Another question if you dont mind... I was thinking of pulling topics from every level in American education from K-6 to see if it might help to ease him up or at least tell me where hes at. Is this a good idea or a waste of time, mine and his?

Thanks again,
    MNEFF

Hi-

Did you ask him what level of education he had in VN? Did he finish his 5th/6th grade? Did he learn any English skills back then? If he did finish his 5th/6 grade in VN, he would have no issues of solving the problems for the 6th graders here, given that he would understand the materials. I forgot to ask where you both live? If there is a large concentration of Vietnamese in your area, try to see if your local library has any bilingual books. This can help. Just one thing for sure is that teaching requires the patience of a Saint. Hope you can overcome this obstacle. I know that his progress will be your foremost satisfaction.

The Loud Viet

Default Update...

Hi there loud vet, just wanted to update ya on the progress with my 11 year vietnamese friend.

I found a learn to read site. After taking him through the alphabet, and making him a tape for the sounds of the letters, I did find that he has problems in English with g,f, and p. We went into sentences with phonics, and he did quite well until we got the 5 letter words, in association anyway. He can still read well but you are right, its association as to what the words relate to. We are right now on the way some letters together sound, sh, th, silent e, and such.

I know it sounds elementary, he did finish 5th grade in Vietnam, however I have asked his parents to refrain from as much Vietnamese in the home and asking him to speak in English as much as he can.

Am I leading him wrong on the phonics route? I also bought a software program. Its a Vietnamese to English talking dictionary, its says the word in his language, than ours. I also print out worksheets for him to write the words as well with pictures for now, for association's sake. When talking to the other kids I help with homework, (English Speaking) I make sure I am very descriptive and clear.

Have you seen a site for phonics that goes past our k-5 standard language, that I can use for word association? As well as, a good Vietnamese-English Dictionary he can carry with him. His parents speak little English, only enough for you to decipher.

Sorry, I know I was only updating, somehow I ended up asking more questions.

mneff