Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Proverb

Thread: Proverb

Default Proverb

Dear all friends,

Please help me to discover the meaning of below proverbs:

1. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
    2. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
    3. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    4. A man's home is his castle.

By the way, can I ask if there is any website that explains the meaning of almost proverbs.

Thank you!

dnguyen78

Quote Originally Posted by khuechu_bk46 View Post
    Dear all friends,

By the way, can I ask if there is any website that explains the meaning of almost proverbs.

Thank you!
    1.Too many cooks spoil the broth = Nếu quá nhiều người cùng làm một việc gì đó, sẽ làm hỏng việc.
    2. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. = Bạn muốn giúp ai điều gì đó (td: lời khuyên bảo...) chấp nhận sự giúp đỡ của bạn hay không phải tùy thuộc vào người đó, bạn không thể bắt buột được.
    3. The squeaky wheel gets the grease = Ai làm điều gì mà muốn để có nhiều sự chú ý tới có thể kết quả không được tốt.
    4. A man's home is his castle = Nhà của bạn, bạn muốn làm gì là quyền của bạn.
    Go to: http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/.

Quote Originally Posted by dnguyen78 View Post
    1.Too many cooks spoil the broth = Nếu quá nhiều người cùng làm một việc gì đó, sẽ làm hỏng việc.
    2. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. = Bạn muốn giúp ai điều gì đó (td: lời khuyên bảo...) chấp nhận sự giúp đỡ của bạn hay không phải tùy thuộc vào người đó, bạn không thể bắt buột được.
    3. The squeaky wheel gets the grease = Ai làm điều gì mà muốn để có nhiều sự chú ý tới có thể kết quả không được tốt.
    4. A man's home is his castle = Nhà của bạn, bạn muốn làm gì là quyền của bạn.
    Go to: http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/.

3. ai phàn nàn về cái gì thì sẽ được chiếu cố (giúp đỡ). Câu này không có nghĩa là sẽ đem kết quả không tốt.

Quote Originally Posted by khuechu_bk46 View Post
    Dear all friends,

Thank you!
    1. Too many cooks spoil the broth.= nhiều đầu bếp hư nồi cháo; lắm thầy thối ma
    2. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.= (Oxford Advanced Learner's English)You can give opportunity to do sth but you cannot force them to do it if they do not want to
    3. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.=nghĩa như paddy nói (hay phàn nàn thì được chiếu cố)
    4. A man's home is his castle.(US)= An Englishman's home is his castle = A person's home is a place where they can be private and safe and do as they like
    Last edited by english-learner; 06-14-2008 at 07:58 AM.