Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Building English structure.

Thread: Building English structure.

hdungbeat

Wink Building English structure.

Hi! all members. I find difficult to build sentences and choice words in writing English. In my opinion, all new members who are learning English also meet that problem. Therefore, anybody knows any websites and materials which are helpful to learn how to build structure and paragraph, just tell me, OK? We can discuss case grammar.

Now, let's discuss the structure of the below sentence!

"Therefore, more references are included than is usual in the ordinary textbook"
    Cho tôi hỏi tại sao kô sử dụng là "....than are usual "

Correct me! if possible.

"than is usual"--in this case it's talking about the "usual situation", situation is singular. The sentence could be written as follows:

Original sentence: "Therefore, more references are included than is usual in the ordinary textbook"

Different order: "Therefore, more references are included in the ordinary textbook than is usual"

Rewrite: "Therefore, more references are included in the ordinary textbook in this situation than is the usual situation"

Hope that is correct and clear.

Quote Originally Posted by hdungbeat View Post
    Hi! all members. I find difficult to build sentences and choice words in writing English. In my opinion, all new members who are learning English also meet that problem. Therefore, anybody knows any websites and materials which are helpful to learn how to build structure and paragraph, just tell me, OK? We can discuss case grammar.

Now, let's discuss the structure of the below sentence!

"Therefore, more references are included than is usual in the ordinary textbook"
    Cho tôi hỏi tại sao kô sử dụng là "....than are usual "

Correct me! if possible.
    "Is" in this case is for the "textbook".

it means: Therefore, more references are included than what is in the textbook.

But for the case "Therefore, more references are included than are usual in the ordinary textbook"
    it means : more references are included (in something) than there are references (included) in textbook.

Both sentences are correct and mean almost the same.

hdungbeat

Ok! thanks. Here is a new structure:

"The goods could have been shipped today had they faxed the order beforehand"
    as I understand, in this sentence they = the goods, but i don't know why "had they faxed" is used. I think the correct sentence is "The goods could have been shipped today which had been faxed the order beforehand"

Please! explain the above structure.

Quote Originally Posted by hdungbeat View Post
    Ok! thanks. Here is a new structure:

"The goods could have been shipped today had they faxed the order beforehand"
    as I understand, in this sentence they = the goods, but i don't know why "had they faxed" is used. I think the correct sentence is "The goods could have been shipped today which had been faxed the order beforehand"

Please! explain the above structure.
    "had they faxed" = "if they had faxed"

It would mean: "The goods could have been shipped today if they had faxed the order beforehand"

"They" is not the goods.
    Last edited by trunnie; 10-24-2007 at 09:05 PM.