Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Interesting expression

Thread: Interesting expression

Default Interesting expression

Thường thì khái niệm "ăn" và "uống" thì rất dễ hiểu. Nhưng lại có lúc người ta dùng nó cách ngồ ngộ. Khi một đứa bé mới sanh ra được mấy ngày thì mình cho nó bú (tức là phải uống).

Tuy nhiên khi người mỹ muốn hỏi em bé đã bú bao nhiêu thi không hỏi "how much has he drank" hoặc "how much has he sucked". Mà lại hỏi là "how much has he EATEN". Or "how many times a day does he eat?" Khi nói về em bé bú, họ luôn dùng chữ "eat", không nói chung với "milk", như "eat milk", nhưng chỉ nói "eat".

I never " gặp " this situation before . But i think cho bú is " nurse " because i read it in a book .

Đúng rồi nhưng đây mình không thảo luận cách nào đúng cách nào sai, nhưng nói về cách nào thông dụng nhất (và chỉ có thể là người mỹ dùng cách đó thôi).

"nurse" có nghĩa là cho con bú sữa mẹ, nhưng tôi thấy hơn 90% những bà mẹ ở mỹ đều cho con bú sữa bình. Có lẽ vì vậy mà họ phải dùng từ khác?

Go to this link: http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/sys...up_2weeks.html

and read where it says "Feeding" in number 3.
    Last edited by trunnie; 10-13-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trunnie View Post
    Thường thì khái niệm "ăn" và "uống" thì rất dễ hiểu. Nhưng lại có lúc người ta dùng nó cách ngồ ngộ. Khi một đứa bé mới sanh ra được mấy ngày thì mình cho nó bú (tức là phải uống).

Tuy nhiên khi người mỹ muốn hỏi em bé đã bú bao nhiêu thi không hỏi "how much has he drank" hoặc "how much has he sucked". Mà lại hỏi là "how much has he EATEN". Or "how many times a day does he eat?" Khi nói về em bé bú, họ luôn dùng chữ "eat", không nói chung với "milk", như "eat milk", nhưng chỉ nói "eat".
    "Drink" is one of the irregular verbs that I'm sure you are aware of, but this is a common mistake that even native (American) speakers make.

Drink, drank, drunk: he drinks, he drank, but he has drunk.

Similarly, swim swam, swum. VD: I swim well but the last time I swam was many years ago and I haven't swum since.

Quote Originally Posted by sang56 View Post
    "Drink" is one of the irregular verbs that I'm sure you are aware of, but this is a common mistake that even native (American) speakers make.

Drink, drank, drunk: he drinks, he drank, but he has drunk.

Similarly, swim swam, swum. VD: I swim well but the last time I swam was many years ago and I haven't swum since.

Thank you. I don't disagree. However note also this paragraph at dictionary.com under "drink":

The standard and most frequent form of the past participle of drink in both speech and writing is drunk: Who has drunk all the milk? However, perhaps because of the association of drunk with intoxication, drank is widely used as a past participle in speech by educated persons and must be considered an alternate standard form: The tourists had drank their fill of the scenery.

But what you said is still true.

Default Vocabulary & Grammar

This would help to make it clear, not a mistake at all!

drink
    6 entries found.
    drink[1,verb]drink[2,noun]drink-drivingmixed drinksoft drinkstrong drink
    Main Entry: 1drink
    Pronunciation: \ˈdriŋk\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): drank \ˈdraŋk\; drunk \ˈdrəŋk\ or drank; drink·ing
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English drincan; akin to Old High German trinkan to drink
    Date: before 12th century
    transitive verb
    1 a: swallow, imbibe <drink water> b: to take in or suck up : absorb <drinking air into his lungs> c: to take in or receive avidly —usually used with in<drank in every word of the lecture>

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    This would help to make it clear, not a mistake at all!

drink
    6 entries found.
    drink[1,verb]drink[2,noun]drink-drivingmixed drinksoft drinkstrong drink
    Main Entry: 1drink
    Pronunciation: \ˈdriŋk\
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): drank \ˈdraŋk\; drunk \ˈdrəŋk\ or drank; drink·ing
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English drincan; akin to Old High German trinkan to drink
    Date: before 12th century
    transitive verb
    1 a: swallow, imbibe <drink water> b: to take in or suck up : absorb <drinking air into his lungs> c: to take in or receive avidly —usually used with in<drank in every word of the lecture>
    “To be drunk” or “To be drank”

Interestingly this topic was also discussed on an English language forum. Below is an answer from that site.

In some English dialects, "drank" is used as the past participle instead of the standardized "drunk". While it is OK to say "to be drank", you should however avoid “drank”, as it is only used dialectically, and dialect speakers know the standardized form "drunk" anyway. Also, some people could regard the use of drank instead of drunk as uneducated, or - when they're not familiar with the dialect - as wrong.

Example: Milk is best drunk fresh since drinking old milk may give you a tummy ache.

While we are on this subject, here are some similar verbs:

Begin Began Begun
    Drink Drank Drunk
    Ring Rang Rung
    Shrink Shrank Shrunk
    Sing Sang Sung
    Sink Sank Sunk
    Spin Span/Spun Spun
    Spring Sprang Sprung
    Stink Stank Stunk
    Swim Swam Swum

Quote Originally Posted by sang56 View Post
    “To be drunk” or “To be drank”

Interestingly this topic was also discussed on an English language forum. Below is an answer from that site.

In some English dialects, "drank" is used as the past participle instead of the standardized "drunk". While it is OK to say "to be drank", you should however avoid “drank”, as it is only used dialectically, and dialect speakers know the standardized form "drunk" anyway. Also, some people could regard the use of drank instead of drunk as uneducated, or - when they're not familiar with the dialect - as wrong.

Example: Milk is best drunk fresh since drinking old milk may give you a tummy ache.

While we are on this subject, here are some similar verbs:

Begin Began Begun
    Drink Drank Drunk
    Ring Rang Rung
    Shrink Shrank Shrunk
    Sing Sang Sung
    Sink Sank Sunk
    Spin Span/Spun Spun
    Spring Sprang Sprung
    Stink Stank Stunk
    Swim Swam Swum
    Yes, but you are quoting another forum.

How about these sources:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nV8...nLgeMwKTYBSeZk
    http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=001...OR-enlargePage
    http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=000...3E2.0.CO%3B2-F

Quote Originally Posted by trunnie View Post

Cho em bé thì bú là "eat", nhưng đối với bà mẹ thì cho con bú là "nurse". Thí dụ: she still nurses her child. Bà ấy vẫn cho con bú.

Chữ "Suck" thường mang nghĩa xấu (negative) nên không ai dùng như người Việt mình.

She sucks! Cô ấy ngu.
    She sucks big time. Cô ấy "ngáo" lắm.
    My job sucks. Việc làm của tôi tệ / chán lắm.
    That sucker. Thằng/con ngu đó.

Nhưng sucker lại có nghĩa là em bé còn bú / chưa dứt sữa.