Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Pronunciation of Đ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pronunciation of Đ

Jama

Question Pronunciation of Đ

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to pronounce the Vietnamese "Đ"? It it the same as the English "D?" It sounds different to me, but I can't figure out how. Thanks.

Default Pronunciation help

1). Đ: pronounced like D in English.
    Example: đi means "to go" (pronounced like dee in English).
    2). D: ponounced like Z (slightly z)
    Example: Di in "DI CHUYỂN" (to move in English) is pronounced like Zee (Z is slightly pronounced: not zzz, but z, kind of short....)
    Good luck.

Jama

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    1). Đ: pronounced like D in English.
    Example: đi means "to go" (pronounced like dee in English).
    2). D: ponounced like Z (slightly z)
    Example: Di in "DI CHUYỂN" (to move in English) is pronounced like Zee (Z is slightly pronounced: not zzz, but z, kind of short....)
    Good luck.
    Thanks Manh Nguyen. Thank you very much for your help.

I can't help but notice that the ̣Vietnamese Đ sounds "heavier" than the English D. Listen to how this comedian imitates the Vietnamese accent in words like "do" and "today"...

Notice how she pronounces the word "do" in "whatever you like, we do for you." ̣(at 0:59). And listen how she pronounces the "d" in "today" in the sentence "Hi Honey, what you need today?" (at 1:12). She sounds just like the Vietnamese girls at the nail salons in America. The English D is much softer. (Is it just me, or does this Hispanic girl totally nail the accent?)

I think this Vietnamese Đ sound is created by putting the tongue further back while trying to pronounce an English D. Am I right? Thanks.

I think this Vietnamese Đ sound is created by putting the tongue further back while trying to pronounce an English D. Am I right? Thanks.
    You're right! The Đ is more gutteral than the English D. As far as creating that sound, the tongue placement is actually identical to the English one, but the location of the sounds original (where it's produced) is farther down the throat, whereas the English D is right at the tip of the tongue. That's how I see it anyway.

In reference to the comedian, she's over-emphasizing the accent of course, or else it wouldn't be humorous.

My two cents

Jama

I suggest you would like to pronounce the D (VNese) like Y(consonant) sound in English. Because we have another couple-word "gi" will sound like your Z
    EX: Tám giờ rồi, đang làm đó .
    Last edited by LtDra; 10-27-2007 at 11:57 AM.
    Thất bại lớn nhất của đời người là tự đại
    Đáng thương nhất của đời người là tự ti.
    Tự đại + Tự ti = thất bại đáng thương nhất

Jama

Quote Originally Posted by xanghe View Post
    You're right! The Đ is more gutteral than the English D. As far as creating that sound, the tongue placement is actually identical to the English one, but the location of the sounds original (where it's produced) is farther down the throat, whereas the English D is right at the tip of the tongue. That's how I see it anyway.

In reference to the comedian, she's over-emphasizing the accent of course, or else it wouldn't be humorous.

My two cents
    Aha! I think I see what you mean. I was just putting my tongue further back and letting more air pressure build up before I let rip with a "harder sounding English D." I'll experiment with your advice. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDra
    Jama

I suggest you would like to pronounce the D (VNese) like Y(consonant) sound in English. Because we have another couple-work "gi" will sound like your Z
    EX: Tám giờ rồi,Dì đang làm gì đó .
    Thank you, LtDra. Is the "R" also pronounced like an English "Z?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jama View Post
    Aha! I think I see what you mean. I was just putting my tongue further back and letting more air pressure build up before I let rip with a "harder sounding English D." I'll experiment with your advice. Thank you very much.

Thank you, LtDra. Is the "R" also pronounced like an English "Z?"
    Nope . The R sound just same with your R
    ex: Rat in English sounds like Rác (trash) in VNese.
    Last edited by LtDra; 10-28-2007 at 01:13 AM.

We've got to be careful about the D, R, and GI sounds... miền bắc, miền trung, miền nam... There are different dialects which pronounce them slightly different. I'm not a linguist, but the D (not Đ), R and GI letters in the Northern dialect (bắc) do sound like soft Z, but in the Southern (nam) and for the most part Central (trung) they sound like Y, R (slight roll) and Y respectively.

My two cents

Yes, We all know that we have 3 main different voices from 3 different regionals North-Central-South . But, to avoid the confusing for the new Vietnamese learners we must lead them in the proper way only.They can not have 3 different voices in one speech , Agree!? . In fact, I don't know that how they are teaching proper Vietnamese in North and Central region , I am from south VN. But. Anyway,I believe that there is only one proper way in Vietnamese learning.
    Last edited by LtDra; 10-28-2007 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDra View Post
    Yes, We all know that we have 3 main different voices from 3 different regionals North-Central-South . But, to avoid the confusing for the new Vietnamese learners we must lead them in the proper way only.They can not have 3 different voices in one speech , Agree!? . In fact, I don't know that how they are teaching proper Vietnamese in North and Central region , I am from south VN. But. Anyway,I believe that there is only one proper way in Vietnamese learning.
    It's my understanding that the northern accent is the "official" accent, is that not correct? (I was told this by a northerner, of course, but since Hanoi is in the north it would not surprise me if there is some official document somewhere that says this, even if it is not widely practiced...similar to the Beijing accent being called the "standard" Chinese accent).

Also, from my observation it seems like the Vietnamese "R" is different than the English "R". It doesn't sound as hard as it is in English, sounds more like what would be a Vietnamese "Rh" if they had one (similar to the difference between a "T" and "Th").