Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
I have a Vietnamese neighbor need English to Vietnamese translation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a Vietnamese neighbor need English to Vietnamese translation

abrody

Smile I have a Vietnamese neighbor need English to Vietnamese translation

Dear Vdict community,
    I have a neighbor next door to me whose fence is leaning into my yard because of a lot of material on the outdoor open shed shelves in his back yard. I wanted to convey to him in a nice letter to move his items not so close to the fence so it doesn't end up knocking over our fence. Can someone help me write a friendly letter asking him to move it? I don't know his name. He is rarely there when I'm at home, and his English is such that he barely understands what I want to say. Also if you could tell me in English what that letter says.

Thank you.

HiHucCaoGio

Quote Originally Posted by abrody View Post
    Dear Vdict community,
    I have a neighbor next door to me whose fence is leaning into my yard because of a lot of material on the outdoor open shed shelves in his back yard. I wanted to convey to him in a nice letter to move his items not so close to the fence so it doesn't end up knocking over our fence. Can someone help me write a friendly letter asking him to move it? I don't know his name. He is rarely there when I'm at home, and his English is such that he barely understands what I want to say. Also if you could tell me in English what that letter says.

Thank you.
    Why would you want to tackle the problems in a convoluted way like that? Should you just write a nice and polite letter in English? You would CLEARLY describe the items that are bothering you and suggestions on how to remediate them. Your neighbor lives in America, he must deal with many documents in English. Why would this matter required a letter in Vietnamese, unless you just want to impress him? Also doing this might back fire on you. After reading your letter, he might decide to come over and discuss the matter in Vietnamese with you "in depth" because he loves your proficiency in Vietnamese. Whoa!

I would also suggest that you do not hint at any threats. Just a write it in a nice and friendly tone -- but not overly friendly. Do not hand write the letter. Print the letter using your computer and put it in an envelope so it looked "official". One of those culture thing, you know.

Good luck.

....I would also suggest that you do not hint at any threats. Just a (1) write it in a nice and friendly tone -- but not overly friendly. Do not hand write the letter. Print the letter using your computer and put it in an envelope so it looked (2) "official". One of those culture thing(3), you know.

Good luck. (By HihucCaogio)

HihucCaogio,

My suggestions:

(1) Just write it in a nice and friendly tone. (omit "a")
    (2) ...so it looks ""official." (for consistency)
    (3) One of those culture things, you know. (those===>plural)

Notes:
    I just want to excel our English!

HiHucCaoGio

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    ....I would also suggest that you do not hint at any threats. Just a (1) write it in a nice and friendly tone -- but not overly friendly. Do not hand write the letter. Print the letter using your computer and put it in an envelope so it looked (2) "official". One of those culture thing(3), you know.

Good luck. (By HihucCaogio)

HihucCaogio,

My suggestions:

(1) Just write it in a nice and friendly tone. (omit "a")
    (2) ...so it looks ""official." (for consistency)
    (3) One of those culture things, you know. (those===>plural)

Notes:
    I just want to excel our English!

1. You can have the a or not in this case, it's a matter of preference. Nothing in usage nor grammar dictates this use. Without a, it's a softer suggestion.
    2. "looked" is used here as a shorten passive mode. I could write it in full ....put it is an envelope so it's looked "official" ... The letter is an inanimate object, it's looked upon. Sorry for the confusion.
    3. Completely agree with you. My omission! things is correct.

I welcome any suggestions and thanks for taking your time

HihucCaogio,

I would also suggest that you do not hint at any threats. [B]Just a write it in a nice and friendly tone -- [/B]

1. You can have the a or not in this case, it's a matter of preference. Nothing in usage nor grammar dictates this use. Without a, it's a softer suggestion.

Sorry, "a" does not fit in here at all, because "it" (following right behind write) is a direct object of verb to write!!! On the other hand, there is no such a noun like this but "a writing"

"Chuyện người thì sáng, chuỵện riêng mình thì tối" nhưng ở đây chuyện Anh Ngữ là chuyện chung! Cheers!
    Last edited by MANH NGUYEN; 02-17-2009 at 08:35 AM.

HiHucCaoGio

HihucCaogio,

I would also suggest that you do not hint at any threats. [B]Just a write it in a nice and friendly tone -- [/B]

Sorry, "a" does not fit in here at all, because "it" (following right behind write) is a direct object of verb to write!!! On the other hand, there is no such a noun like this but "a writing"

"Chuyện người thì sáng, chuỵện riêng mình thì tối" nhưng ở đây chuyện Anh Ngữ là chuyện chung! Cheers!
    I do see the typing error I made by re-reading my original text - fully agree with your correction, the first "a" should not be there. That was a typo, I got side tracked by the way you highlighted the "a". I glanced at your confusing editing/quoting method and thought the "a" you wanted me to delete is the "a" before "nice". I thought you added an extra "a" to clarify your point. It was my fault, albeit a typo.

Anyway, you seem to get a kick out of reading tea leaf. No big deal, if you could find more of my mistakes, point them out. As I've told you before, I always welcome the corrections.

Actually, in a document which has 909 characters, you pointed out 3 items that you disagree with:

1. A typo -- I left a single character behind while edited the document: fault!!!.
    2. Your suggestion is wrong by not paying attention to the context and my implied usage.
    3. Missing one "s" : my fault.

So, after your tea-leaf reading over 900 characters, you found 1 real mistake of mine, one typo of mine, and one wrong suggestion of yours. Not too bad on my part huh?

Again, I don't mind at all if you or anyone else critic my writings. When I correct the mistakes for others, this is NOT implied that I write error free. Far from it, I am not a native speaker as I indicate on my profile. However, when you've gone below the belt and written "Chuyện người thì sáng, chuỵện riêng mình thì tối"; it shows the pettiness and lack of class. The comment is a cheap shot and uncalled for. I've made many suggestions to other posters, never with any sneering remarks. I've seen your writing errors also, in both English and Vietnamese, but I decided not to make suggestions on them. My thinking is: only making suggestions to posters that might benefit from the suggestions. I don't think, by reading your posts, you are that kind of a person. However, all bets are OFF now. I wish you luck with your quest of having "perfect English" as you stated in the previous post.

PS: I've been busy with works this week and decided to stop posting for awhile, but works can wait for this ...

HihucCaogio,

Again, I don't mind at all if you or anyone else critic my writings. When I correct the mistakes for others, this is NOT implied that I write error free...

Sorry, I did not mean to hurt your feeling. But if the mistakes are so obvious, why don't we help correct for each other? Like I said at first, the reason we are here because we just want to excel our English.....I have no intention to criticize anybody or to create any arguments.... Sorry again. Period.

HiHucCaoGio

HihucCaogio,

Again, I don't mind at all if you or anyone else critic (I don't know why the bold here, emphasis or correction?) my writings. When I correct the mistakes for others, this is NOT implied that I write error free...

Sorry, I did not mean to hurt your feeling. But if the mistakes are so obvious, why don't we help correct (correcting them) for each other? Like I said at first, the reason we are here (Do you really know the reasons for everyone being here?) because we just want to excel our English.....I have no intention to criticize anybody or to create any arguments.... Sorry again. Period.
    Hà hà, do we have some problems with reading comprehension here ??

Let me go straight to the point: I don't mind people critic (critic can be used as a noun or a verb) my writings at ALL -- I just don't appreciate the sneering remark: "Chuyện người thì sáng, chuỵện riêng mình thì tối"
    Last edited by HiHucCaoGio; 02-17-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Default Critic = verb ???

Quote Originally Posted by HiHucCaoGio View Post
    Hà hà, do we have some problems with reading comprehension here ??

Let me go straight to the point: I don't mind people critic (critic can be used as a noun or a verb) my writings at ALL -- I just don't appreciate the sneering remark: "Chuyện người thì sáng, chuỵện riêng mình thì tối"
    Tôi kiếm trong 2 cuốn tự điển và tự điện trên mạng, nhưng không thấy chỗ nào nói critic là verb cả. Bác coi trong cuốn nào vậy ?

HiHucCaoGio

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Tôi kiếm trong 2 cuốn tự điển và tự điện trên mạng, nhưng không thấy chỗ nào nói critic là verb cả. Bác coi trong cuốn nào vậy ?

Không biết thì tra tự điển -- không thấy thì hỏi là đáng khen. Cám ơn Bác.

Critic có thể là danh từ, tĩnh từ và đông tự (v.i.)

Critic

Crit"ic\ (kr?t"?k), n. [L. criticus, Gr. ????, a critic; prop., an adj. meaning able to discuss, from ???? to judge, discern. See Certain, and cf. Critique.]
    1. One skilled in judging of the merits of literary or artistic works; a connoisseur; an adept; hence, one who examines literary or artistic works, etc., and passes judgment upon them; a reviewer.
    The opininon of the most skillful critics was, that nothing finer [than Goldsmith's "Traveler"] had appeared in verse since the fourth book of the "Dunciad." --Macaulay.
    2. One who passes a rigorous or captious judgment; one who censures or finds fault; a harsh examiner or judge; a caviler; a carper.
    When an author has many beauties consistent with virtue, piety, and truth, let not little critics exalt themselves, and shower down their ill nature. --I. Watts.
    You know who the critics are? the men who have failed in literature and art. --Beaconsfield.
    3. The art of criticism. [Obs.] --Locke.
    4. An act of criticism; a critique. [Obs.]
    And make each day a critic on the last. --Pope.
    Critic

Crit"ic\, a. Of or pertaining to critics or criticism; critical. [Obs.] "Critic learning." --Pope.
    Critic

Crit"ic\, v. i. [Cf. F. critiquer.] To criticise; to play the critic. [Obs.]
    Nay, if you begin to critic once, we shall never have done. --A. Brewer.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.