Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
C and G — what's the difference?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C and G — what's the difference?

Default C and G — what's the difference?

While I feel my pronunciation is getting slightly better (reports on it from the girlfriend have gone from being "OMG it hurts, stop trying to speak our language!" to "You sound like a Chinese trying to speak Vietnamese"), there are still a few sounds that throw me off, none more annoying than C and G. When I'm speaking, con cá and ga con tend to sound like the same word, just reversed. Likewise, with gam ơn sometimes it seems like she's telling me the first part should sound more like "come", other times it sounds like she wants it to sound more like "gum".

I guess part of the confusion might also be from the fact that while everyone I know who speaks Vietnamese speaks the southern dialect, all of the resources I have been able to find (and therefore learning from) only use the northern dialect, which I already know has a number of phonological differences, so sometimes I switch a bit randomly (e.g. con rươi ="kohn zoo-oi", whereas ao dai = "ao yai").

Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaji View Post
    While I feel my pronunciation is getting slightly better (reports on it from the girlfriend have gone from being "OMG it hurts, stop trying to speak our language!" to "You sound like a Chinese trying to speak Vietnamese"), there are still a few sounds that throw me off, none more annoying than C and G. When I'm speaking, con cá and ga con tend to sound like the same word, just reversed. Likewise, with gam ơn sometimes it seems like she's telling me the first part should sound more like "come", other times it sounds like she wants it to sound more like "gum".

I guess part of the confusion might also be from the fact that while everyone I know who speaks Vietnamese speaks the southern dialect, all of the resources I have been able to find (and therefore learning from) only use the northern dialect, which I already know has a number of phonological differences, so sometimes I switch a bit randomly (e.g. con rươi ="kohn zoo-oi", whereas ao dai = "ao yai").

Help?

I have not seen anyone who has problem of pronouncing words begin with C or G, especially the words Cám Ơn or Cảm ơn.

In some part of Northern VN, people can't pronounce r, so they use z. Con rươi is very popular in Northern cuisine.

In the South, they can't pronounce r and they use g instead. Cá rô would be pronounced cá gô.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I have not seen anyone who has problem of pronouncing words ___?___begin with C or G, especially the words Cám Ơn or Cảm ơn.

In some part of Northern VN, people can't pronounce r, so they use z. Con rươi is very popular in Northern cuisine.

In the South, they can't pronounce r and they use g instead. Cá rô would be pronounced cá gô.

Paddy,
    Anything is missing here? (For my learning process.)

I am from South of VN, I could pronounce lots of difficult words! Can you exclude me?

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    Paddy,
    Anything is missing here? (For my learning process.)

I am from South of VN, I could pronounce lots of difficult words! Can you exclude me?
    "which"

How about people from coastal areas like Ra.ch gia', Ca` Mau, etc. Does that exclude you ?

I have many friends from those areas and they can't pronounce words "which" begin with R.

This should help you:

http://www.languagehack.com/2009/01/...rning-english/

And check out this one out, you may find something else useful

http://community.vdict.com/showthread.php?t=3144
    Last edited by chickendog; 02-15-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.
    -Abraham Maslow

hai_nguyen_hacker

Who can read these sentences without slanging. (3 times)
    (Remember: don't look at these sentences while you're saying them!

"Chị lặt rau rồi luộc
    Em lặt rồi luộc rau"

Default Lonely Planet Phrase Book

Dear Kaji,

You may want to look at the Lonely Planet Phrase Book as they include phonetic guides to pronunciation.

I have had similar struggles with the tones and phonetics and I think it is important to listen to native speakers, drill...actually looking at the printed test and symbols complete with diacritics.

I'm a person who loves to learn new languages, its almost like a hobby for me and i must say that I was thinking about learning Viatnamese but Public Liability Insurance does seem very complicated unfortunately, but i'm sure there are things out there that can help you learn the pronounciations not just the words.

I'm currently just strating to learn Mandarin Chinese and Viatnamese may be the next one that I look at
    Last edited by RM2009; 11-25-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RM2009 View Post
    I'm a person who loves to learn new languages, its almost like a hobby for me and i must say that I was thinking about learning Viatnamese but it does seem very complicated unfortunately, but i'm sure there are things out there that can help you learn the pronounciations not just the words.

I'm currently just strating to learn Mandarin Chinese and Viatnamese may be the next one that I look at
    Vietnamese
    I know that learning Chinese language is better for you than learning Vietnamese language due to your hobby but I don't think that Chinese is easier and less complicated than Vietnamese

to all,
    yes. chinese is complicated, but vietnamese. i said this not because i'm a vietnamese but chinese is stupid, vietnamese can read chinese not vice versa. vietnamese people are wise if not, under a thousand year to be dominated by chinese all vietnamese could consider themselves chinese! chinese are too stupid that they found no way to express their language with A to Z!
    hey, sometime when i have enough time, i will help them, chinese to write their language with 26 letters no more.
    stup they are!
    fija