Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
english in practice, đố vui 2...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: english in practice, đố vui 2...

Default english in practice, đố vui 2...

since today is monday in order to cheer you up a little bit for the whole week ahead, let's try this small abbreviation challenge right here:

1/ A.K.A (ex, aka Chiefsmoke)

2/ O.B.O (ex, obo Chiefsmoke)

what do they stand for???

again there will be a "clap clap...well done" for the first one to answer.

note: Senior buddies not allowed, let's the Juniors try. (correction: let the Juniors try => correct version)
    Chiefsmoke
    Last edited by chiefsmoke; 09-22-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Hello Chiefsmoke,

I won't give the game away with the abbreviations, but forgive me if I pick you up on (do you know this phrasal verb?) something in your message. 'Let's the Juniors try' is not correct.

There are two uses of 'let' being confused here, and they need to be carefully separated.

1) To allow/to permit: Let + infinitive.

This is the use that you have in your message. The correct form is:

Let the juniors try.

2) The first person plural imperative: Let + us + infinitive.

Let's go to the market.

It's grammatically possible to combine the two uses in a single sentence:

Let's let him speak. (Let us allow him to speak.)

I hope you don't mind if I correct your message. Since a lot of learners look at the posts here, it's important that they see correct forms.

All the best to you.

To pick someone up on something

[PHRASAL VERB] V n P P n
    If you pick someone up on something that they have said or done, you mention it and tell them that you think it is wrong. (mainly BRIT)
    ...if I may pick you up on that point...
    Collins CoBUILD Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 5th Edition
    Last edited by rukkhamula; 09-22-2008 at 04:09 PM.

hello Rukkhamula,

Thanks for this and yeah, I don't mind that, instead I hope to receive more correction from other members too, hmm..it is great to have an active english speaker in the forum. You are right at the point that many people are looking at these posts. Usually i rely on the correcting function in office Word which is not so good.

Indeed i had the same thing going through my mind after i pressed enter. but i was a bit confused if "let's" or "let" was the correct one.

now i can remember
    let's is followed by a Verb
    let is normally followed by Subject and Verb

i also recall another one now: "let go !!" (someone grap my hand and i ask him to get his hand off) or "learn to let go" which carries the meaning of learning to forget. Anyway i guess these are merely combination of another verb with let.

cheers,
    Last edited by chiefsmoke; 09-22-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsmoke View Post
    since today is monday in order to cheer you up a little bit for the whole week ahead, let's try this small abbreviation challenge right here:

1/ A.K.A (ex, aka Chiefsmoke)

2/ O.B.O (ex, obo Chiefsmoke)

what do they stand for???

again there will be a "clap clap...well done" for the first one to answer.

note: Senior buddies not allowed, let's the Juniors try. (correction: let the Juniors try => correct version)
    Chiefsmoke
    Even i'm senior member, I don't know what they stand for.
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!

Now, it has been almost a week still no answer (though i believe many people in this forum can answer especially those who speak English as their mother language). The reason i put these "quizzes" right here is because i think these are some of the abbreviation people tend to use quite a lot either in writen form (mail) or conversation in Western country, but for English learner, on the other hand, chances are that they can hear this somewhere but i think it is not really usual you see these abbreviation in Vietnam. Anyway here comes the answer:

AKA stands for: Also known as (e.g My name is James Bond aka 007) this is used in both writing and speaking

OBO stands for: on behalf of , this one i have seen in writing only.

hope you guys find this thing useful.

Me aka Chiefsmoke

Now, it has been almost a week still no answer (though i believe many people in this forum can answer especially those who speak English as their mother language). The reason i put these "quizzes" right here is because i think these are some of the abbreviation people tend to use quite a lot either in writen form (mail) or conversation in Western country, but for English learner, on the other hand, chances are that they can hear this somewhere but i think it is not really usual you see these abbreviation in Vietnam. Anyway here comes the answer:

AKA stands for: Also known as (e.g My name is James Bond aka 007) this is used in both writing and speaking

OBO stands for: on behalf of , this one i have seen in writing only.

hope you guys find this thing useful.

Me aka Chiefsmoke
    Chiefsmoke,
    You said, "....instead I hope to receive more correction from other members too." Are there any errors where I have highlited?
    Cordially,

there are always mistakes somewhere even native speakers make mistakes when they type you know hee hee...and i am not.

ok, i forgot the "s" for plural form of "abbreviation"

but Me i think is okay...or isn't it?

there are always mistakes somewhere even native speakers make mistakes when they type you know hee hee...and i am not.

ok, i forgot the "s" for plural form of "abbreviation"

but Me i think is okay...or isn't it?

Chiefsmoke,
    It is understandable, but very questionable!!! I think that "Me" is not fit (or proper) at the beginning of a sentence!
    me (mē)
    pron. The objective case of I1.
    1. Used as the direct object of a verb: He assisted me.
    2. Used as the indirect object of a verb: They offered me a ride.
    3. Used as the object of a preposition: This letter is addressed to me.
    4. Informal Used as a predicate nominative: It's me. See Usage Notes at be, but, I1.
    5. Nonstandard Used reflexively as the indirect object of a verb: I bought me a new car.

I'd rather write:
    I, named James Bond aka 007.
    Your name is James Bond, aka 007. Mine is John Doe....
    This is James Bond, aka 007. He is James Bond....
    Just something for you to ponder.

Cordially,

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    Chiefsmoke,
    It is understandable, but very questionable!!! I think that "Me" is not fit (or proper) at the beginning of a sentence!
    me (mē)
    pron. The objective case of I1.
    1. Used as the direct object of a verb: He assisted me.
    2. Used as the indirect object of a verb: They offered me a ride.
    3. Used as the object of a preposition: This letter is addressed to me.
    4. Informal Used as a predicate nominative: It's me. See Usage Notes at be, but, I1.
    5. Nonstandard Used reflexively as the indirect object of a verb: I bought me a new car.

I'd rather write:
    I, named James Bond aka 007.
    Your name is James Bond, aka 007. Mine is John Doe....
    This is James Bond, aka 007. He is James Bond....
    Just something for you to ponder.

Cordially,
    umm...thanks for the explanation.

Seems to me the basic rule is that if it is in the position of a Subject (before the verb) then use I, if it is as an Object (after the Verb) then obviously we use Me. This aligns with what you wrote above for which i agree. Combination (you and me or you and i) is then a different case.

in my sentence i didn't put any verbs and thus nothing to define it as a Suject or Object. it is just "Me", alone, more like "it's Me, aka Chiefsmoke"
    in a shorter version.

If i had written "I", there would have been an expectation that there was going to have a verb coming along which i dont like.

grammatically, now how can you prove me wrong...?

look, i have to say there is no bad feeling here, i just want to challenge as i find your explanation not quite convincing. and challenging is a good way to learn.

i actually know all these rules including the "let and let's" one, but it is just there is a distance between knowing it and using it as a default without having to stop, and think and speak that i need to fine tune somehow. Experience is a harsh teacher. today you guys corrected me, tomorrow i wont make the same mistake again...provided that i understand the rule.

Chiefsmoke
    (p.s: are there many mistakes in this reply???...errr....)

umm...thanks for the explanation.

Seems to me the basic rule is that if it is in the position of a Subject (before the verb) then use I, if it is as an Object (after the Verb) then obviously we use Me. This aligns with what you wrote above for which i agree. Combination (you and me or you and i) is then a different case.

in my sentence i didn't put any verbs and thus nothing to define it as a Suject or Object. it is just "Me", alone, more like "it's Me, aka Chiefsmoke"
    in a shorter version.

If i had written "I", there would have been an expectation that there was going to have a verb coming along which i dont like.

grammatically, now how can you prove me wrong...?

look, i have to say there is no bad feeling here, i just want to challenge as i find your explanation not quite convincing. and challenging is a good way to learn.

i actually know all these rules including the "let and let's" one, but it is just there is a distance between knowing it and using it as a default without having to stop, and think and speak that i need to fine tune somehow. Experience is a harsh teacher. today you guys corrected me, tomorrow i wont make the same mistake again...provided that i understand the rule.

Chiefsmoke
    (p.s: are there many mistakes in this reply???...errr....)
    Chiesmoke,

Like I wrote to you, "just something for you to ponder."
    I am learning English every day from all V.dict members (you yourself included)
    but I just feel uncomfortable to write the way you have written, "Me, Seems" at the beginning of sentences or phrases.
    By the way, I do not want to convince you but I only want to point out something to ponder. In return, I need somebody to correct my mistakes....
    If you do not like it, please forget about it.
    Cordially,