Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Please translate this sentence into Vietnamese

Thread: Please translate this sentence into Vietnamese

Default Please translate this sentence into Vietnamese

In the back of the drawer you could find a magnifying glass, a kaleidoscope and a gyroscope kept in black buckram box, which he would set dancing for us on a string pulled tight.
    I don't know what the author means in the bold clause. Please translate or restate it.

Quote Originally Posted by bhtbht View Post
    In the back of the drawer you could find a magnifying glass, a kaleidoscope and a gyroscope kept in black buckram box, which he would set dancing for us on a string pulled tight.
    I don't know what the author means in the bold clause. Please translate or restate it.
    I don't know if that helps or if that's what you asked for, but I think the author means that "he" was making the gyroscope dance, like in a music box or a miniature puppet show, with the help of a string.

(I only rephrased it because my vietnamese is not good enough to translate, sorry)

Does that help?

It's ridiculous to refer to "gyroscope" as "us". Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bhtbht View Post
    It's ridiculous to refer to "gyroscope" as "us". Thank you.
    The author doesn't refer to the gyroscope when he says "us" in this sentence. It depends on the context, but I suppose "us" refers to children or a group of people for whom the "he" in the text is making the gyroscope dance. The narrator of this text obviously being a part of "us".

Sorry, I must have forgotten the gramatical point of this sentence and have misunderstood the author's reference. Yes, the narrator is a part of "us". I'm rather careless in this mistake. Thank you so much.