Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
ESL learner

Thread: ESL learner

Cool ESL learner

HI everybody,
    I saw someone ask how to translate the phrase: "Bạn là con thứ mấy trong gia đình?"
    The answer is: "Where are you in the pecking order?"

Hopefully it can help you ask the correct question and the listener knows how to answer it.
    Best.

Not quite. The VN question is formally asked and the translation uses slang. Pecking order is not quite correct as pecking order in a Western family does not necessarily map on to the order of births. Pecking order is about whose will prevails.

Red face

Hi Tricky42,

Thank you for your comments.
    The pecking order originally comes from the idea of a wolf pack. The first cub born will take care of his/her younger ones. Secondly it shows the order of birth in a wolf family. This concept is well taught in Psychology course for 2nd year (sophomore) at colldge level as well. So you use this phrase to illustrate exactly what you mean. Similarly, this is my puzzle to my students and even American Ph D holder: Obama là tổng thống thứ mấy của Hoa Kỳ? The answer would be different, not pecking order. May Christmas season bring you and your family great joy and a happy new year of 2012.

Cordially,

Duy Nguyen
    Last edited by duynguyen; 12-19-2011 at 09:09 AM.