Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Question about Names and Translations...

Thread: Question about Names and Translations...

Default Question about Names and Translations...

This may or may not be a "smart" question (since there are no dumb questions, ha!) but I was wondering if a traditional English name would translate into a different Vietnamese version when a person was writing it or speaking it. I am wondering this because I am half Cuban and so half my relatives pronounce my name one way and the other half pronounce it another way. So, hypothetically if a person was half Vietnamese and their name was Marie in English, Maria in Spanish, then would there be an alternate spelling or pronunciation in Vietnamese?

Sorry, if this question annoys anyone, b/c I know I'm comparing apples and oranges here but I'm basically working on a craft project for a friend and I just need to know if there is a way to translate a traditional "American" name or not. Thanks!!!

It is not a stupid question. That is one of the first things that translators are taught in Translating 101: do not translate names even though some names may have a meaning behind them. So to answer your question, English or American names are not translated into a different word or name in Vietnamese. My answer relates to translating professionally and correctly; however I have known many people to attempt translating names.

Default Thank You!

Much Appreciation!!!

Or should I say: Cám ơn Bạn

(That is what I found for "thank you" when I had it translated, I'm assuming it's accurate.)
    Last edited by winnyluv; 06-15-2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: thought of something better to say.

actually Cám ơn Bạn isnt really needed you just have to say Cam on which is pronounced like calm without the L sound and on sounds like un except ive learned that our english N sounds nowhere near vietnamese version of the N sound ban just means friend or someone you dont know its not really required and most vietnamese dont use the word ban

Cám ơn for the detailed explanation! I really do appreciate it!