Inter Milan and Barcelona fought out a scrappy 0-0 draw in their Champions League Group F opener on Wednesday (September 16) with Samuel Eto'o and Zlatan Ibrahimovic failing to manage a shot on target against their former sides.

Holders Barca knocked the ball about better and had a number of chances but Inter could also have stolen victory with more conviction in the final third.

"No, I don't always expect difficult matches. I don't think to win the Champions League again. I think we are able to get in the final eight. We got the Champions League title last year but this soen't mean we will win this year too" Barca coach Pep Guardiola told a news conference

There are strong teams with players of high levels like Inter. Everybody noted this tonight. We came here to win. We were not able to do it. Let's say that this is neither bad nor good" Guardiola added.

Barca's Ibrahimovic, on his first visit back to the San Siro since his swap deal with Eto'o, rushed a good early opportunity

and could only lash wide.

The miss led to a chorus of boos, which had also greeted his name when the teams were read out before kickoff despite many Inter fans saying they would neither jeer nor cheer their former talisman.

The home crowd could only marvel at some of Lionel Messi's touches, although the Argentine scooped a sitter over the bar following Thierry Henry's cross-shot in the second half.

Inter's defence were occasionally all at sea in the pouring rain and Barca had a penalty appeal for handball turned down,

but generally Ibrahimovic was kept quiet.

Eto'o also had to put up with some tough challenges from his former Catalan team mates and although he was tidy, the Cameroon striker failed to offer any real goalthreat.

Substitute Dejan Stankovic had the best opportunity for the Italian champions when his thunderous drive flew just wide

shortly after he had come on.

Wesley Sneijder also went close twice from distance for the hosts but striker Diego Milito was off-colour all game.

"I saw two teams with great respect for their opponents, two teams well-organised in defence who gave little away.In the second half Barca were better than us. They had more ball possession instead of Inter. Inter controlled the game in defence without ball", Inter coach Jose' Mourinho said.

"Guardiola and I have already discussed about the "tatic war" to display on the pitch. Even a 0-0 match can be a good match. I think this was a good match", he added.

Inter Milan 0 Barcelona 0 - Champions League Group F result:

At San Siro, Milan

Inter Milan: 12-Julio Cesar; 13-Maicon, 25-Walter Samuel, 6-Lucio, 26-Cristian Chivu; 4-Javier Zanetti, 8-Thiago Motta, 11-Sulley Muntari (5-Dejan Stankovic 62); 10-Wesley Sneijder (39-Davide Santon 80); 9-Samuel Eto'o, 22-Diego Milito (45-Mario Balotelli 85)

Barcelona: 1-Victor Valdes; 2-Daniel Alves, 5-Carles Puyol, 3-Gerard Pique, 22-Eric Abidal; 6-Xavi, 24-Yaya Toure, 15-Seydou Keita; 10-Lionel Messi, 9-Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 14-Thierry Henry (8-Andres Iniesta 77)

Referee: Wolfgang Stark (Germany)

Champions League Group F results and standings after Wednesday's matches:

Inter Milan 0 Barcelona 0

Dinamo Kiev 3 Rubin Kazan 1

Standings P W D L F A Pts.

Dinamo Kiev 1 1 0 0 3 1 3

Barcelona 1 0 1 0 0 0 1

Inter Milan 1 0 1 0 0 0 1

Rubin Kazan 1 0 0 1 1 3 0

Next fixtures:

Sept. 29

Rubin Kazan v Inter Milan