Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Common English Expressions & Their Usage
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Common English Expressions & Their Usage

Default Common English Expressions & Their Usage

List of common English expressions and how they are used socially.

1. God bless you: Xin Thượng Đế ban phước lành cho anh (em, bà con cô bác …)

In addition to its common use to wish blessing upon people, you can hear this expression spoken a lot in the winter time in the U.S. Why? It is considered polite to say this to someone who has just sneezed (mới hắt xì?), because the person may be catching a flu (bịnh cảm cúm). The person you said this to will most of the time say “ thank you” back to you. So the next time you hear or see an American sneeze, you can say “God bless you”, the person will be thankful to you.

Do you know why it’s “God bless you” instead of “God blesses you”? God is singular, so shouldn’t the latter one be more grammatically correct? The answer given to me by a good American friend is that “God bless you” is a shorter version of “May God bless you”. In the same vein (another expression meaning similarly, in the same way, likewise), “God be with you” is short for “May God be with you”. Isn’t it in the Star Wars movies that somebody said “(May) The Force be with you”?

When I was in college, a Vietnamese girl teased (chọc) me with her play on words (chơi chữ): “God press you”, meaning Xin Thượng Đế ép anh (cho dẹp lép)!

2. Drive “someone” crazy (Làm người nào bực mình đến nỗi muốn điên lên)

This expression (câu diễn tả này) is used to show that “someone” is very upset (rất bực mình) because of the person who “drives” someone crazy by doing something that “someone” does not like (người “drives” là người làm người khác bực bội vì làm chuyện gì mà người khác không thích)

Example: She drives me crazy with her incessant chattering (Bà / Cô ấy cái mồm cứ choang choác không ngừng làm tôi điên đầu). Chú thích: Tôi xa nhà đã lâu nên không biết bây giờ thế nào, nhưng đọc sách thì thấy họ nói là phụ nữ Á Đông, nhất là Việt Nam mình, thùy mị dịu dàng, ăn nói nhỏ nhẹ, đâu có như thế này nhỉ?

Variations of the above expression (những cách nói hơi khác một chút) include (gồm):
    - She drives me insane (stronger than crazy: bực hơn là crazy, Nàng làm tôi điên tiết?)
    - She drives him nuts (Bả làm ổng muốn điên lên, nói theo kiểu người Nam. Nuts đây nghĩa là điên chứ không phải là quả để ăn)
    - He drives her up the wall (Hắn làm cô ấy bực tức đến nỗi như là bị dồn đến chân tường, không có chỗ nào đi nữa chỉ có cách leo lên tường!)

3. Yes & No

These two simple word are very easy to understand and to use. (Hai chữ đơn giản này rất dễ hiều và dễ dùng)
    “Yes” is Vâng, Dạ, Phải, Đúng, Ừ, Ừa…; “No” is Không, Chưa …

However, there is an important difference between Vietnamese and English in how Yes and No are used to respond to questions that could result in a great misunderstanding.
    (Tuy nhiên giữa tiếng Việt và tiếng Anh có một sự khác biệt quan trọng trong cách dùng Yes và No để trả lời những câu hỏi, thành ra có thể gây nên một sự hiểu lầm lớn.)

To Americans, “Yes” means you want to do the thing being asked and “No” means you do not want to do it, regardless of how the questions are structured.
    (Đối với người Mỹ, Yes nghĩa là muốn làm việc đang được hỏi và No nghĩa là không muốn làm, bất chấp câu hỏi như thế nào.)

Examples: Americans (Người Mỹ)
    Question 1: “Do you want ot eat now?” (Hỏi: Con muốn ăn bây giờ không?)
    Answer 1: “Yes” meaning I want to eat now. (Trả lời: “Vâng” nghĩa là con muốn ăn bây giờ)
    “No” meaning I do not want to eat now. (“Không” nghĩa là con không muốn ăn bây giờ)

Question 2: “Don’t you want ot eat now?” (Hỏi: Con không muốn ăn bây giờ sao?)
    Answer 2: “Yes” meaning I want to eat now. (Trả lời: “Vâng” nghĩa là con muốn ăn bây giờ)
    “No” meaning I do not want to eat now. (“Không” nghĩa là con không muốn ăn bây giờ)

Note that questions 1 & 2 are different but the answers are the same with the same meaning. (Để ý là câu hỏi 1 và 2 tuy khác nhau nhưng câu trả lời đều giống nhau và cùng nghĩa)

The Vietnamese people, however, commonly use “Yes” and “No” (in Vietnamese, of course) to indicate whether they agree or disagree with the question being asked.
    (Người Việt thì dùng “Vâng” và “Không” để cho biết là đồng ý hay không đồng ý với câu hỏi.)

Examples: Vietnamese (Người Việt)
    Question 1: “Con muốn ăn bây giờ? (Do you want ot eat now?)
    Answer 1: “Vâng” (Yes, meaning I want to eat now)
    “Không” (No, meaning I do not want to eat now)

Question 2: “Con không muốn ăn bây giờ sao?” (Don’t you want ot eat now?)
    Answer 2: “Vâng.” (nghĩa là Con không muốn ăn bây giờ). Translated literally into English will be “Yes!” (but meaning I do not want to eat now)
    “Không, Con muốn ăn bây giờ chứ!” English translation: “No, I do want to eat now!)

Since question 1 and question 2 are different, the answers also change accordingly. (Vì câu hỏi 1 và 2 khác nhau, câu trả lời cũng khác theo.)

I remember one time in class an American professor was handing back our graded exams. Somehow (or for some reason, or for whatever reason) he did not have mine. My God! Was it lost somewhere? (Tôi nhớ có một kỳ trong lớp một ông giáo sư Mỹ phát trả bài thi đã chấm điểm xong. Không hiểu vì sao ông không có bài thi của tôi. Giời ơi! (Nói theo kiểu người Bắc). Không lẽ nó thất lạc nơi nào?)

I was both quite upset and worried, especially since I thought I had done well in that exam. (Tôi vừa lo vừa bực, nhất là tôi nghĩ kỳ thi đó mình làm rất khá.)

When the class was over, I decided to follow him out and around. He wandered about for a while then finally went to his parked car. Seeing that I had been quietly on his tail all this time, he turned around asking sympathetically: “You did not get your exam back?”
    (Khi tan lớp, tôi quyết định đi theo ông ta. Ông đi lang thang vòng vo một lúc rồi sau cùng đi đến chỗ xe ông đậu. Thấy tôi nãy giờ cứ lặng lẻ theo sát “đít”, ông ta quay lại hỏi có vẻ thông cảm: “Anh không nhận được bài thi lại à?”)

I emphatically replied: “Yes!” (Tôi trả lời nhấn mạnh “Vâng ạ!”) (Nếu đã nhận bài thì nãy giờ tôi theo ông làm gì?)

He looked at me rather strangely, a flicker of puzzlement passing over his face. I knew instantly that I had used the wrong word; it should have been a “No”! But he quickly recovered with understanding, more from my body language than my response, and promised to look for my lost exam.
    (Ông ta nhìn tôi hơi lạ, mặt thoáng vẻ không hiểu. Tôi liền biết ngay là mình đã dùng sai chữ. Đáng lẽ phải nói là “Không ạ”! Nhưng ông đã có vẻ đoán biết, chắc từ cử chỉ của tôi hơn là câu trả lời, và hứa sẽ tìm bài thi lạc loài của tôi.)

Imagine the following scene: (tưởng tượng cảnh sau đây)

An American colleague of yours at work, quite chubby and unkempt, is smitten with you. (Một đồng nghiệp Mỹ ở sở làm của bạn, đã phốp pháp người ngợm lại luộm thuộm, đang bị “cảm nặng” với bạn, bạn đây là người đẹp)

Of course, you’re not interested in him; the guy is neither hot nor cool.
    (Dĩ nhiên bạn không để ý đến anh chàng. Người gì mà chả nóng cũng chẳng mát. “Nóng” đây ý là như món ăn nóng hổi thơm phưng phức, ai nhìn cũng thèm thuồng, chỉ muốn đớp ngay. Như “She is hot” là “Nàng rất hấp dẫn, nóng hổi và thơm phức như bánh bao ban sáng”. Còn “Mát” nghĩa là coi được, sạch sẽ nhìn “mát” mắt.)

There are many other prominent suitors, at work and outside. (Bạn có nhiều người “sáng giá” theo đuổi, cả trong sở lẫn ngoài sở)

The poor soul is well aware of his sorrowful situation but can not get you out of his mind. After all, it’s human nature to always hang on to some hope, however slim. Finally he decides to face reality: get rejected outright and move on with his life. (Anh chàng tội nghiệp này biết thân phận đau thương của mình, nhưng cứ bị ám ảnh vì bạn. Đã bản tính con người nên ai cũng cố bám một tí hy vọng, dù quá mong manh. Cuối cùng anh chàng quyết định sẽ đương đầu với sự thật. Cứ bị từ chối thẳng mặt, rồi ra đi …về nhà.)

So he comes by your desk and speaks softly in a subdued tone: “Hi! Sorry to bother you. You wouldn’t want to go out with me, would you? ”
    (Anh chàng đến bên bàn làm việc của bạn, hỏi nhỏ một cách yếu đuối: “Xin chào cô và xin lỗi làm phiền cô. Cô chắc không muốn đi chơi với tôi để tìm hiểu nhau. Có phải thế không?)

“Yes!” You felt sorry for him, but replied firmly. (Bạn thấy tội nghiệp hắn nhưng vẫn trả lời cứng chắc: Đúng thế!)

He gets excited: “You…you.. want to go out with me?!!!” (Anh chàng mừng quá: Cô…cô… muốn đi chơi với tôi?)
    - “No!” (Không!)
    - “You don’t want to go out with me?” (Cô không muốn đi?)
    - “Yes!” (Đúng!)
    - “You do want to go out with me then!!!” (Vậy là cô muốn đi chơi với tôi?)

No longer able to contain yourself, you yell at the top of your lungs “I told you No!”, exasperated at this strange, persistent creature. (Chịu không nỗi nữa, Bạn hét tướng lên “Đã bảo là Không!”, rất là khổ não bởi tên lạ lùng bướng bỉnh này)

He backs off, perplexed but dare not ask further. (Anh chàng lùi lại, bối rối nhưng không dám hỏi thêm)

He can see clearly that you are really upset. With a heavy heart, he walks away dejected, thinking to himself “Not only are Vietnamese women beautiful they are also so difficult to understand!”
    (Anh ta thấy rõ là bạn rất bực tức. Với một trái tim nặng "chĩu" (viết chính tả theo cô giáo đọc giọng Bắc), anh ta lủi thủi ra... đi, nghĩ thầm: Đàn bà Việt Nam không những chỉ đẹp thôi, họ còn rất ư khó hiểu!)
    Last edited by sang56; 07-15-2007 at 10:46 AM.

Good work. Keep it up. I'm sure these expressions and idioms are very helpful to those wanting to learn English and even us semi-natives can use a little brushing up on their meanings.

3. Yes & No (Continued)

Please do not say “No” (Xin đừng nói “No”)

Khi mới cắp sách đến trường … đại học bên Mỹ, Anh văn tôi không đến nỗi nào, nhưng quá mọt sách (book worm), viết kha khá, đọc sách được, nhưng nói thì còn yếu.

One day while I was walking about aimlessly on campus (đi thơ thẩn trong trường), an American beauty accidentally bumped into me (tình cờ bị một Mỹ nhân đi thế nào “đụng” phải). She was blond (tóc hoàng kim), light-skinned (da trắng trẻo), slim (người thon thẻ), and quite sexy looking (coi khá hấp dẫn). Lỡ đụng xong nàng bối rối, vội vã đỡ tôi (!) và ân cần xin lỗi: “Please excuse me. I was in a hurry!” (Xin anh tha lỗi, tại tôi hơi vội)

Tôi quá ‘cảm động’ vội vã trả lời, trong đầu thì nghĩ in Vietnamese “Không sao đâu cô” nhưng cái tiếng English thoát ra khỏi mồm chỉ là một tiếng “No” to tướng rồi khựng lại, không nói thêm được nữa because my brain cells (tế bào óc) could not translate any further! Không lẽ "đường đường" là sinh viên Việt đi du học mà nói “No star where, Miss!” thì "ê" mặt quá!

She was taken aback, saying softly: “You’re a hard man!” then quietly walked away. (Nàng sửng sốt, xong nói nhỏ nhẹ: “Anh là một người khó tính (khô cằn, chai đá….!) rồi lặng lẻ bước đi.)

I was dazed with understanding (Tôi bàng hoàng chợt hiểu): Dear God (Christ, Buddha)! Please have mercy on me (Trời (Chúa, Phật) ơi! Xin thương xót thân con.) She was sincerely asking for my forgiveness and I curtly refused to with that devastating ‘No’. (Người ta chân thành xin lỗi mà mình xẵng giọng từ chối với cái tiếng ‘No’ quái ác kia!)

Looking at the figure slowly moving away, her blond hair glistening in the sun, I was overwhelmed with a gentle sadness for a love (!) that died before it even began because of my poor English! (Nhìn dáng người từ từ xa dần, mái tóc vàng lung linh trong nắng, tôi cảm thấy một nỗi buồn nhẹ nhàng xâm chiếm cho một mối tình (!) chưa chớm đã tàn chỉ vì Anh văn mình quá tệ!)

As I know now, only if I had said to her: “Please do not worry. Are you alright yourself?” (Phải chi tôi đã nói là: Xin cô đừng bận tâm. Còn chính cô có sao không?) the ending might have been quite different, or it might not. But at least I would have felt a lot better about myself.(Thì hồi kết cục có thể rất khác, hay không khác thì ít nhất tôi cũng đỡ thấy bực bội với chính mình).
    Last edited by sang56; 07-26-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Sang56, có từ này giải thích và dịch cho các bạn học Anh ngữ đi:

"To live in the fast lane" : He was constantly living in the fast lane

Quote Originally Posted by carolton67 View Post
    Sang56, có từ này giải thích và dịch cho các bạn học Anh ngữ đi:

"To live in the fast lane" : He was constantly living in the fast lane
    Good suggestion. But why don't you just do it? I can insert your writing into the list. Your English is even more sophisticated than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by sang56 View Post
    Good suggestion. But why don't you just do it? I can insert your writing into the list. Your English is even more sophisticated than mine!
    Trời, sao làm cụt hứng quá vậy. You were on such a roll, that's why I suggested an addition to your list. I liked the way you explained everything in simplified terms so that English learners can understand. They don't need sophistication, just basic understanding of the term. Xem anh giảng dạy rõ ràng và rất có khiếu như một giáo sư vậy đó, bởi vậy mới đề nghị anh giảng mà.

Quote Originally Posted by carolton67 View Post
    Trời, sao làm cụt hứng quá vậy. You were on such a roll, that's why I suggested an addition to your list. I liked the way you explained everything in simplified terms so that English learners can understand. They don't need sophistication, just basic understanding of the term. Xem anh giảng dạy rõ ràng và rất có khiếu như một giáo sư vậy đó, bởi vậy mới đề nghị anh giảng mà.
    According to you, I am good at explaining things in simple terms. So the more appropriate term for a person of my "talents" should be giáo viên trường làng. Giáo sư phải dùng từ cao siêu (like you) và phương trình công thức cao đẳng.

Không phải đâu. Sao nhạy cảm quá vậy. Một giáo sư giỏi là người có năng khiếu giảng cho học sinh hiểu một cách rõ ràng. Nhiều giáo sư dạy ở các trường đại học giảng bài mà học sinh nghe phải buồn ngủ, rồi lại còn không hiểu gì cả. Với trình độ và bằng cấp của anh các giáo sư đại học nghe cũng phải phục rồi. Anyone can teach but it takes a special someone to make others understand.

hdq

"go out" = "di choi"
    I don't think this is correct in this context, where a boy is clearly asking a girl out for a date. May be you should try another one. I don't yet have a clue what should be in the place of "di choi" but I find that translation not as close as the English. What I mean is that the translation does not convey the feeling when one hear this expression in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by hdq View Post
    "go out" = "di choi"
    I don't think this is correct in this context, where a boy is clearly asking a girl out for a date. May be you should try another one. I don't yet have a clue what should be in the place of "di choi" but I find that translation not as close as the English. What I mean is that the translation does not convey the feeling when one hear this expression in this context.
    "go out" has different meanings. In the context of a boy and girl "going out" có nghĩa là cuộc hẹn hò. Ví dụ khi một người con gái nói, "I'm going out with Dave." có nghĩa là "Tôi đang cặp kè với Dave." chứ không đơn giản như "Tôi đi chơi với Dave."