Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Give the right form of the verbs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Give the right form of the verbs

Quote Originally Posted by taphoctienganh View Post
    Mình thì kiến thức còn hạn hẹp nên không biết nhưng mà thấy giải thích như bạn này cũng đúng. Nhưng thế nếu không có dấu phẩy và and như thế kia thì câu này có đúng không. Và nếu thay trying bằng to try thì có được không. Mong các bạn giải thích kĩ hơn cho mình vì nhiều câu cứ Ving rồi lại to V rất khó phân biệt
    Không có thì vẫn đúng, nhất là trong văn nói. Trong văn viết thì có chữ và hoặc giấu phẩy làm cho dễ hiểu hơn.

Còn thế chữ trying bằng try thì tớ nghĩ là không đúng vì đây là compound verb dùng chung cho một chủ từ cho nên phải cùng thể to be +V ing.

Các bác nào có ý kiến thì nhào dô, giúp đỡ bà con.

Ivy Nguyen

Ivy cũng đồng ý với bác Paddy, các động từ trong câu phải cùng thể. Còn như bác Mạnh nói "Gerunds (lam nhiem vu cua dong tu) dung cho nhung dong tu sau trong truong hop mot cau co nhieu dong tu (compound verbs)" thì chưa nghe bao giờ hết á.
    Ivy chỉ nghe nói đến trường hợp rút gọn mệnh đề quan hệ: chúng ta có thể dùng hiện tại phân từ để rút gọn mệnh đề quan hệ ở một số trường hợp đối với mệnh đề quan hệ ở thể chủ động, và quá khứ phân từ để rút gọn mệnh đề quan hệ ở một số trường hợp đối với mệnh đề quan hệ ở thể bị động.
    Nhưng câu trên giải thích như bác Paddy thì khá hợp lý rùi.

Dong y voi Paddy roi do, chi co dieu la tai sao cau do khong co IS, COMA hoac AND!!!
    Sau day la nhung participle phrases nam trong thi du sau:

The eagles swooped and hovered, leaning on the air, and swung close together, feinting and screaming with delight.
    (N. Scott Momaday, House Made of Dawn)

Cau nay co cham, phet day du. Moi xem coi co rut ra duoc kinh nghiem gi khong.

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    Dong y voi Paddy roi do, chi co dieu la tai sao cau do khong co IS, COMA hoac AND!!!

The eagles swooped and hovered, leaning on the air, and swung close together, feinting and screaming with delight.

Bác Mạnh đang đọc cuốn đó hả ?

Cái đó kêu là participial phrase.
    Participial Phrases
    Both present and past participles can be used in phrases--called participial phrases--that modify nouns and pronouns. A participial phrase is made up of a participle and its modifiers. A participle may be followed by an object, an adverb, a prepositional phrase, an adverb clause, or any combination of these. Here, for example, the participial phrase consists of a present participle (holding), an object (the torch), and an adverb (steadily):

Holding the torch steadily, Merdine approached the monster.
    In the next sentence, the participial phrase includes a present participle (making), an object (a great ring), and a prepositional phrase (of white light):

Merdine waved the torch over her head, making a great ring of white light.

Let's practice by combining these three sentences, turning the first and third into participial phrases:

I guided the pinball through the upper chutes, down a runover lane, off the slingshot bumpers to the flippers.
    I cradled it there.
    I bounced it back and forth until I had a perfect shot through the spinner.
    To emphasize the quick, successive actions described in these three sentences, we can combine them by turning the verbs guided and bounced into present participles:
    Guiding the ball through the upper chutes, down a runover lane, off the slingshot bumpers to the flippers, I cradled it there, bouncing it back and forth until I had a perfect shot through the spinner.
    (J. Anthony Lucas, "The Inner Game of Pinball")
    Here, the first phrase includes a present participle (Guiding) and its object (the pinball), followed by a series of prepositional phrases. The second participial phrase again contains a present participle (bouncing) and its object (it), followed by a pair of adverbs (back and forth) and an adverb clause. Both participial phrases modify "I," the subject of the sentence. Note that participial phrases can't stand alone as complete sentences: they must modify a noun or pronoun in the sentence.

Arranging Participial Phrases
    A participial phrase is flexible, a structure that can be placed at the beginning, middle, or end of a sentence. Participial phrases may be arranged to show a sequence of actions, as in the "pinball" sentence just seen. They may also be set up to show that two or more actions are occurring at the same time:

In this sentence, the eagles were "leaning on the air" as they "hovered"; they were "feinting and screaming with delight" as they swung close together.

Though you can shift a participial phrase to different positions, don't risk awkwardness or confusion by placing it too far from the word it modifies. For example, a participial phrase that indicates a cause usually precedes the main clause, sometimes follows the subject, but only rarely appears at the end of the sentence.

In each sentence below, the participial phrase clearly modifies the subject ("my younger sister") and suggests a cause:

Discouraged by the long hours and low pay, my sister finally quit her job.
    My sister, discouraged by the long hours and low pay, finally quit her job.
    But consider what happens when the participial phrase moves to the end of the sentence:
    My sister finally quit her job, discouraged by the long hours and low pay.
    Here the logical order of cause-effect is reversed, and as a result the sentence may be less effective than the first two versions.
    Từ http://grammar.about.com/od/basicsen...partphrase.htm

Vậy theo ý bác thì câu đó trying to ... là compound verb hay là participial phrase? Đầu tiên tớ nghĩ là compound verb, nhưng đọc cái trên song thì không sure lắm. Để tìm hiểu thêm.
    Last edited by Paddy; 07-17-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Tớ nghĩ là câu này thiếu giấu phẩy hoặc chữ và (and) để làm câu dễ đọc và dễ hiểu hơn.

He is giving a long speech, trying to display his verbal skills.

He is giving a long speech and [is] trying to display his verbal skills.

Theo tớ nhớ ko lầm thì năm rồi tớ học tiếng Anh cũng có cái này. Cái participle phrase luôn đuợc tách rời với main phrase bằng một hoặc 2 dấu phẩy.
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!

Bác Mạnh đang đọc cuốn đó hả ?

Cái đó kêu là participial phrase.

Từ http://grammar.about.com/od/basicsen...partphrase.htm

Vậy theo ý bác thì câu đó trying to ... là compound verb hay là participial phrase? Đầu tiên tớ nghĩ là compound verb, nhưng đọc cái trên song thì không sure lắm. Để tìm hiểu thêm.
    Theo tớ thì trying to display his verbal skills là participial phrase và cái câu ý sửa như bác Paddy là đúng rồi. Ko có dấu phẩy câu bị giống kiểu semi run-on .
    ---
    1st Version:
    2nd Version:

Quote Originally Posted by dethuong_x0x View Post
    Theo tớ nhớ ko lầm thì năm rồi tớ học tiếng Anh cũng có cái này. Cái participle phrase luôn đuợc tách rời với main phrase bằng một hoặc 2 dấu phẩy.
    Có rảnh thì kiếm ông thầy đó hỏi câu trên "trying to ..." là loại nào. Đọc kỹ lại thì bây giờ tớ nghĩ nó là dạng participial phrase chứ không phải compound verb.

Mới học năm rồi mà đã quên rồi. Chắc là lại quen em nào nữa chứ gì ???

Paddy,

I put it this way:

Trying to display his verbal skills, he is giving a long speech.

Apparently, it is a participle phrase.
    Last edited by MANH NGUYEN; 07-18-2009 at 09:31 AM.

Có rảnh thì kiếm ông thầy đó hỏi câu trên "trying to ..." là loại nào. Đọc kỹ lại thì bây giờ tớ nghĩ nó là dạng participial phrase chứ không phải compound verb.

Mới học năm rồi mà đã quên rồi. Chắc là lại quen em nào nữa chứ gì ???
    Bác cứ nói tớ thế. Tại tớ không có khiếu học tiếng anh chứ bộ

Pdddy,

I put it this way:

Yea, this is what I learned
    ---
    1st Version:
    2nd Version:

Paddy,

I put it this way:

muchas gracias.