Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Common English Expressions & Their Usage - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Common English Expressions & Their Usage

Quote Originally Posted by carolton67 View Post
    "go out" has different meanings. In the context of a boy and girl "going out" có nghĩa là cuộc hẹn hò. Ví dụ khi một người con gái nói, "I'm going out with Dave." có nghĩa là "Tôi đang cặp kè với Dave." chứ không đơn giản như "Tôi đi chơi với Dave."
    I agree with the two posting comments above, which will help people in VN better understand the term. The meaning of "go out" is pretty clear in the American society as explained. However, when a girl/woman and a boy/man agree to go out the very "first time", when they are not yet "bồ", then it's more to explore possibility of becoming bồ. (Khi trai gái đồng ý "to go out" lần đầu tiên thì họ chưa hẳn là bồ mà là muốn tìm hiểu nhau để thành bồ thực sự) That's why I translated as "đi chơi để tìm hiểu nhau" when that phrase was introduced the first time in the story. Of course, if someone has a better suggestion, I will make the change.

Thanks for the comments.

Đồng ý. Giải thích "go out" là cuộc hẹn hò giữa đôi bên cho ngắn gọn vì theo những người lớn tuổi thì "go out" có nghĩa là "đi chơi để tìm hiểu nhau"; còn đối với tuổi trẻ bây giờ "go out" là "đi chơi cho biết" thôi chứ chưa chắc để tìm hiểu gì cả.

deamx7

Default can someone help?

I was wondering if anyone knew an internet site or a book or two in learning the basic structure of vietnamese language such as alphabet and simple responses like yes, no, please etccc.... please advice

Xin thêm vào cho câu "Drives me Crazy". Câu này cũng có thể dùng cách khác. Có thể nói "She drives me crazy" (cô ta làm tôi điên cuồn), với ý nói rằng vì cô ta quá đẹp cho nên làm tôi điên cuồn, tùy giọng nói và hoàn cảnh.

Quote Originally Posted by trunnie View Post
    Xin thêm vào cho câu "Drives me Crazy". Câu này cũng có thể dùng cách khác. Có thể nói "She drives me crazy" (cô ta làm tôi điên cuồn), với ý nói rằng vì cô ta quá đẹp cho nên làm tôi điên cuồn, tùy giọng nói và hoàn cảnh.
    No trunnie. I have never heard "drive me crazy" used with the good meaning like you said: cô ta quá đẹp cho nên làm tôi điên cuồn. "Drive someone crazy" chỉ có nghĩa là làm bực mình.

Muốn tả tôi mê cô ta điên cuồn thì nói "I am crazy about her"

"She drives me wild" có nghĩa "tốt" là cô ta làm tôi mê mẫn (đến thành như người rừng!)

Thí dụ: bản nhạc nổi tiếng của Queen, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"

http://www.lyrics007.com/Queen%20Lyr...%20Lyrics.html

Một cái nữa của Led Zeppelin, "I'm Gonna Crawl"

http://search.able2know.com/About/14448.html

Một bản khác của Fine Young Cannibals với tựa đề: "She Drives Me Crazy".

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/fine+yo..._20053603.html

Ở Mỹ dùng theo nghĩa này rất nhiều.

chào các bạn,

Mình muốn hỏi từ "so much for" trong "so much for your conscience" dịch ra tiếng Việt là gì? Đoạn này mình hiểu có nghĩa mỉa mai nhưng không biết dịch làm sao. Ở dictionary.com nó nói là "that's all can be said about that", cũng không biết dịch sao luôn.

Cám ơn giúp đỡ.

"so much for" nói đến một điều gì mà đã không đem lại kết quả tốt hoặc theo dự định. Cho nên "much" thật ra không phải much chút nào. Trong tiếng việt có thể tạm dịch là "cũng như không". Câu "so much for your conscience", có thể được dùng để trách một người đã xưng là có lương tâm nhưng lại làm điều mà chứng tỏ trái lại, như thể nói "có lương tâm mà cũng như không".

Quote Originally Posted by mhd View Post
    chào các bạn,

Mình muốn hỏi từ "so much for" trong "so much for your conscience" dịch ra tiếng Việt là gì? Đoạn này mình hiểu có nghĩa mỉa mai nhưng không biết dịch làm sao. Ở dictionary.com nó nói là "that's all can be said about that", cũng không biết dịch sao luôn.

Cám ơn giúp đỡ.
    So much for: câu mỉa mai là nói cho dữ hoặc hay ho về chuyện gì nhưng cuối cùng làm ngược lại với giá rất rẽ hay rất dễ dàng

So much for his conscience: lương tâm ông ta cũng chỉ đáng (giá) thế thôi, cũng chỉ được thế thôi, không đáng là bao.

VD: He talks so much about her as the true love of his life. But as soon as he sees another pretty woman, he forgets about her. So much for his true love. (Tình yêu chân thật của ông ta cũng không đáng là bao)

He stresses conscience as one of the important moral attributes, but as soon as he sees the dollar sign he tosses it out the window. So much for his conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by trunnie View Post
    Thí dụ: bản nhạc nổi tiếng của Queen, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"

http://www.lyrics007.com/Queen%20Lyr...%20Lyrics.html

Một cái nữa của Led Zeppelin, "I'm Gonna Crawl"

http://search.able2know.com/About/14448.html

Một bản khác của Fine Young Cannibals với tựa đề: "She Drives Me Crazy".

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/fine+yo..._20053603.html

Ở Mỹ dùng theo nghĩa này rất nhiều.
    I am not familiar with new popular American songs, most of which are written in questionable English anyway! Looking at the lyrics of the song titled “She drives me crazy” from the link you provided, however, I am not sure you correctly understood this phrase. It could still mean “Nàng làm tôi điên cuồng (vì bực dọc)” because of her strange behavior and noncommittal attitude (leading him on without clear commitment?), as explained in the beginning part of the song: Things you do don’t seem real….We’re running out of time ….This waiting around is killing me.. (i.e. just say yes or no so I can move on).

Because of these things he is complaining that “She drives him crazy” (Nàng làm tôi điên cuồng vì bực dọc). Of course, if he were not very attracted to or obsessed with her for whatever reason (beauty, charm, fatal attraction!), he wouldn’t care less! So there is a very strong element of attraction here, but that is not the cause for his being driven crazy. He wished she would stop acting up so that he would be no longer driven crazy by her.

Note that we’re discussing the meaning of the phrase “drive someone crazy”, not how the word “crazy” is used in general. As I mentioned above, “He is crazy about her” does mean “Anh ta mê cô nàng như điên như cuồng", which is the same as “He is nuts about her” or “He’s crazily (or insanely) in love with her”. The same meaning also applies to “crazy love” (tình yêu điên cuồng).

I cant stop (I can’t stop)
    The way I feel
    Things you do
    Dont seem real (Don’t seem real)
    Tell you what I got in mind
    cause were runnin out of time (because we’re running out of time)
    Wont you ever set me free? (won’t you ever set me free?)
    This waitin rounds killin me (This waiting around is killing me)

She drives me crazy
    Like no one else
    She drives me crazy
    And I cant help myself

I cant get (I can’t get)
    Any rest
    People say
    Im obsessed (I’m obsessed)
    Everything thats serious lasts (Everything that is serious lasts)
    But to me theres no surprise (But to me there is no surprise)
    What I have, I knew was true
    Things go wrong, they always do

She drives me crazy
    Like no one else
    She drives me crazy
    And I cant help myself