Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
What learning tools and methods are working for you?

Thread: What learning tools and methods are working for you?

Default What learning tools and methods are working for you?

This is for my fellow native english speakers.

I have enrolled in Vietnamese 1 for the upcoming semester, and am trying to become prepared as I realize its going to be very difficult.

What tools or methods have you found most useful for learning Vietnamese?

So far I've been using Pimsleur's audio lessons, though in conversations with a Vietnamese friend I have found that I am not learning many words correctly. I have also spent some time working on Rosetta Stone.

At this point I plan on focusing on learning the alphabet, so that I can at least read it and have an idea of how to pronouce it, in order to start building my vocabulary to the point where I can have more then the most basic conversations with Vietnamese speakers. Then, hopefully my tones and pronounciation will follow.

Any advice from somebody who has already gone through the basics would be greatly appriciated.
    Tôi Mỹ và Tôi muốn học tiếng Việt
    Tôi không nói tiếng Việt tốt
    Nhưng Tôi nói tiếng Anh hoàn hảo

hi,

i'm french and i have learned vietnamese 2 years with my girlfriend and with other vietnamese friends.

i suggest you to learn first the prononciation of letters and the 6 tones(~'`?.). if you don't speak with the correct tones, it is not comprehensible. this should take a few months. you have to pronounce well before learning lots of words.

then you should find vietnamese friends to discuss and to learn more words and to improve your prononciation.

for me, the beggining was very difficult, but after 2 months i start to learn faster cause i could pronounce quite well.

Jama

Hi. I'm from the States and I just starting learning too (like only a couple of weeks ago). I have decided to base my self-studies around a book called "Let's Speak Vietnamese" ̣̣̣(Available thru Arizona State University). I will probably try to use other tools such as Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur, but mainly just for exposure. Making local Vietnamese friends and talking to other learners on webboards such as this one should be helpful too. Above all, I will try to spend a small amount of time in Vietnam next year where I can take some one-on-one classes.