Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
World News: Berlin

Thread: World News: Berlin

Default World News: Berlin

Germans celebrate Berlin Airlift anniversaryOperation considered Cold War's 1st battle

By David Rising
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

June 27, 2008

BERLIN – Germany marked the 60th anniversary of the start of the Berlin Airlift yesterday, celebrating an unprecedented undertaking that likely saved the city from falling to the Soviets and helped mend U.S.-German wounds from World War II.

Often called the first battle of the Cold War, the airlift pitted the United States and the Soviets against each other for the first time and set the tone for decades to come.

“I find the courage with which this operation was carried out truly admirable,” German Defense Minister Franz Josef Jung said at a ceremony at the U.S. Army Airfield in Wiesbaden, from which many of the flights originated.
    The airlift's significance wasn't immediately apparent when it began on June 26, 1948.

The future looked bleak to Berliners at the time, said Helmut Trotnow, director of Berlin's Allied Museum. “There was no light at the end of the tunnel, but the airlift brought this light.”

“If it hadn't been for the success of the airlift, history would have looked very different,” he said. “It really is a turning point.”

After the war, zones of Western Germany were handed to Britain, France and the United States to administer, while the Soviet Union was handed the East. Berlin was inside the Soviet sector, but it was also divided among the four powers.

In an effort to squeeze the Western powers out of Berlin, Soviet dictator Josef Stalin blockaded all rail, road and ship traffic into the city in June 1948.

On June 26, the United States and Britain launched “Operation Vittles” – an unprecedented airlift that would supply 2 million West Berliners with food and fuel for 11 months until the Soviets lifted the blockade, and for several months after that in case Stalin changed his mind.

“It changed my life entirely,” retired airlift pilot Gail Halvorsen, who lives in Utah, said at the Wiesbaden event. “We were operating with our former enemies for one common goal: freedom.”

Neither side resorted to force – setting the tone for the Cold War – though 39 Britons, 31 Americans and at least five Germans were killed in accidents.

During the airlift, American, British, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander and South African pilots flew 278,000 flights to Berlin, carrying 2.3 million tons of food, coal, medicine and other supplies.

In one amazing day – April 16, 1949 – about 1,400 planes carried in nearly 13,000 tons over a 24-hour period. That was an average of one plane landing every 62 seconds.

On the ground in Berlin, ex-Luftwaffe mechanics were enlisted to help maintain aircraft, and 19,000 Berliners worked around the clock for three months to build Tegel Airport, providing relief for the British Gatow and American Tempelhof airfields.

American airlift pilot Bill Voigt remembers that seeing the suffering of the Berliners quickly erased any resentment lingering from the war.

“Regardless of how you felt about the Germans, you had to pay due homage to them for their determination,” Voigt, 87, said on a recent trip to Berlin.

I quite agree. It was premonition of what is to be expected from Stalin and the Soviet Union. The Cold War was a long war that started after World War II because of many reasons. The United States and most of western Europe did not help the Soviet Union during World War II and because the United States secretly developed the nuclear bomb.

Also the United States and the Soviet Union had opposite societies.
    United States supported democracy and free enterprise.
    The Soviet Union supported communism and controlled or command economy.

The Cold War was the period of many important events in history:

Berlin War.
    Korean War.
    Cuban Missile Crisis.
    Creation of Taiwan.
    Communism in China.
    Vietnam War.

Quote Originally Posted by meloncollie.novel View Post
    I quite agree. It was premonition of what is to be expected from Stalin and the Soviet Union. The Cold War was a long war that started after World War II because of many reasons. The United States and most of western Europe did not help the Soviet Union during World War II and because the United States secretly developed the nuclear bomb.

Also the United States and the Soviet Union had opposite societies.
    United States supported democracy and free enterprise.
    The Soviet Union supported communism and controlled or command economy.

The Cold War was the period of many important events in history:

Berlin War.
    Korean War.
    Cuban Missile Crisis.
    Creation of Taiwan.
    Communism in China.
    Vietnam War.

Lend-Lease was the most visible sign of wartime cooperation between the United States and the Soviet Union. About $11 billion in war material was sent to the Soviet Union under that program. Additional assistance came from U.S. Russian War Relief (a private, nonprofit organization) and the Red Cross. About seventy percent of the aid reached the Soviet Union via the Persian Gulf through Iran; the remainder went across the Pacific to Vladivostok and across the North Atlantic to Murmansk. Lend- Lease to the Soviet Union officially ended in September 1945. Joseph Stalin never revealed to his own people the full contributions of Lend-Lease to their country's survival, but he referred to the program at the 1945 Yalta Conference saying, "Lend-Lease is one of Franklin Roosevelt's most remarkable and vital achievements in the formation of the anti-Hitler alliance."
    source: http://www.ibiblio.org/expo/soviet.exhibit/wartime.html

Oh sorry for the false information.

The Lend-Lease Program started out as a neutral Program that helped both the Allied and the Axis Powers in the war. After Pearl Harbor though that changed.

And yes. The United States help many countries by sending money and supplies after the war too.

My American History teacher is very bias when she teaches us. She makes almost everything she taught about that the United States have done right and justifiable.

Oh sorry for the false information.

The Lend-Lease Program started out as a neutral Program that helped both the Allied and the Axis Powers in the war. After Pearl Harbor though that changed.

And yes. The United States help many countries by sending money and supplies after the war too.

My American History teacher is very bias when she teaches us. She makes almost everything she taught about that the United States have done right and justifiable.
    Do you mind sharing your source of the quote above ?

http://community.vdict.com/newreply....uote=1&p=12909

The Senate passed the $5.98 billion supplemental Lend-Lease bill on October 23, 1941, bringing the United States one step closer to direct involvement in World War II. The Lend-Lease Act, approved by Congress in March 1941, gave President Roosevelt virtually unlimited authority to direct material aid such as ammunition, tanks, airplanes, trucks, and food to the war effort in Europe without violating the nation's official position of neutrality.

I looked further into the Lend Lease Act and I was wrong.
    Sorry about my falsifications again.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/decade/decade04.htm

It was Act to help the Allied Forces only to help defend the United States without stepping out of neutrality.
    Last edited by meloncollie.novel; 07-01-2008 at 09:45 AM.

The Senate passed the $5.98 billion supplemental Lend-Lease bill on October 23, 1941, bringing the United States one step closer to direct involvement in World War II. The Lend-Lease Act, approved by Congress in March 1941, gave President Roosevelt virtually unlimited authority to direct material aid such as ammunition, tanks, airplanes, trucks, and food to the war effort in Europe without violating the nation's official position of neutrality.

I looked further into the Lend Lease Act and I was wrong.
    Sorry about my falsifications again.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/decade/decade04.htm

It was Act to help the Allied Forces only to help defend the United States without stepping out of neutrality.

So you did it on purpose, twice? What are you trying to prove ? I just wonder.

I'm not trying to prove anything. Just trying to correct my inaccurate accusations. I'm learning because you ask me to prove what I say. And learning is always good.

I'm not trying to prove anything. Just trying to correct my inaccurate accusations. I'm learning because you ask me to prove what I say. And learning is always good.
    Then it was not falsification. It was due to lack of knowledge. They are totally different from each other. I thought you tried to twist the fact to prove something.

Ditto.

Ps. You are most likely still in school. Falsification and accusation are negative words which people tend not to use to describe themselves.
    Last edited by Paddy; 07-02-2008 at 01:28 AM.