Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Hi. Having problems - need help!!!!

Thread: Hi. Having problems - need help!!!!

BRADUS

Smile Hi. Having problems - need help!!!!

Hi there. I'm a first time user and don't know who to turn to for quality translations. I've already had students and staff try and the meaning was lost. I think the best translations would probably come from Viet Kieu. Could someone please translate this for me. This is one of several instalments, I hope its not too much. Thanks heaps!

[How are your children coping with their English studies?]

[We offer extra English training with a focus on correct pronunciation.]
    [Our aim is to target young learners, while they are still in a language acquisition stage of their lives and train them to sound like fluent native English speakers. ]

[By the time a child reaches twelve, their ability to acquire languages begins to decline.]
    [The sounds of their native language are embedded in the muscles of their mouth.]
    [They may still learn the language and get by on poor pronunciation, but there will always be communication errors and misunderstandings.]
    [In the business world these miscommunications translate into dollars.]

Default Translation help

[How are your children coping with their English studies?]
    Con của quí vị có thích nghi với những bài học Anh Ngữ của chúng không?

[We offer extra English training with a focus on correct pronunciation.]
    Chúng tôi có những lớp dạy thêm Anh Ngữ đặc biệt nhắm vào luyện phát âm cho chính xác.

[Our aim is to target young learners, while they are still in a language acquisition stage of their lives and train them to sound like fluent native English speakers. ]
    Mục đích chính của chúng tôi nhắm vào giới học sinh trẻ tuổi, trong khi chúng đang trong tình trạng phát triển về ngôn ngữ trong đời sống của chúng và huấn luyện chúng phát âm giống như người bản xứ lưu loát tiếng mẹ đẻ là Anh Ngữ.

[By the time a child reaches twelve, their ability to acquire languages begins to decline.]
    Khi đứa trẻ đến tới cái tuổi 12, thì khả năng phát triển ngôn ngữ của nó bắt đầu giảm sút đi.

[The sounds of their native language are embedded in the muscles of their mouth.]
    Cái âm hưởng của tiếng mẹ đẻ đã nằm sâu trong bắp thịt miệng của chúng.

[They may still learn the language and get by on poor pronunciation, but there will always be communication errors and misunderstandings.]
    Chúng vẫn còn có thể học ngôn ngữ nhưng kết quả kém về phát âm, nhưng sẽ luôn luôn có những lầm lẩn trong lúc đối thoại và hiểu lầm.

[In the business world these miscommunications translate into dollars.]
    Trên bình diện thế giới kinh doanh những sự lầm lẩn về đối thoại liên lạc này
    sẽ được dịch ra bằng đồng đô-la (nói về khía cạnh tốn kém)
    Last edited by MANH NGUYEN; 02-21-2008 at 10:54 AM.

BRADUS

Thank you very much Manh Nguyen. I'm very impressed with the prompt reply. Quite amazing as it was my first post. You do a wonderful service here at Vdict.
    I wish I was bilingual. I'm trying to learn Vietnamese but I don't have time to attend a school. Most of what I've learnt is self taught. Does anyone know of any good Vietnamese language sites? Also, what is the best font program for writing Vietnamese?
    Once again, thanks heaps.

Default Just a question

BRADUS,

Thanks for your comment. I just give a hand to whom in needs.
    Sorry, I can't answer other questions you have posted. There are some amazing geniuses on this forum who eventually will respond....
    I wonder how your staff could know my translation was right or wrong.
    Last edited by MANH NGUYEN; 02-22-2008 at 11:49 AM.

BRADUS

"I wonder how your staff could know my translation was right or wrong."

No Manh Nguyen I wasn't saying that my staff said your translation is wrong, I was saying that I asked them to translate it and they got it wrong. I agree with you, there are a lot of talented people on this forum. Thanks again.

BRADUS,

"Also, what is the best font program for writing Vietnamese?"

Answer: Unikey

Do your staff members speak Vietnamese? And where is your school?

Good luck

BRADUS

The school I'm teaching at, at the moment is VATC. The staff there have all studied English at University levels and some have even studied translation, but they still have serious listening, pronunciation and understanding problems. Even the Vietnamese English teachers are hard to understand sometmes. They understand all the grammar rules better than a native speaker but don't apply many of them when speaking. It's a little sad to know that most of the high school students learn from these teachers that have never even lived in an English speaking envronment.

I am trying to start a private tuition program where primary school students can train there pronunciation so that in later years they will be able to produce the sounds similar to that of a native speaker. Focusing on phonemes (sounds), stresses and rhythms of english. I think grammar is important but shouldn't be learnt through rules but through application and use. Much the same as when you learrn your native language. Most of the students get taught these rules in high school, but if you ask them what they did on the weekend, they respond "I go shop with my friend." So, I wil do my part to help learners of English in Vietnam. That is why I need the translations done, I need to advertise.

Thank you Manh Nguyen for your help and your interest.
    P.S. I will post another part of my advertisement if your interested.

BRADUS

here we go, Part 2. This continues on from the first post. I hope its not too difficult, there's some big words.
    [There is also a direct relationship between salary and pronunciation ability.]
    [Through intensive pronunciation training and exercises we hope to give your child an advantage over other English learners.]
    [So open a door on your child’s future.]
    [In a tough ever changing world, steps must be taken to secure a successful future.]
    [With every second the future draws nearer, so take the chance now before it’s too late.]
    [Don’t just learn English, know it!]
    [What sets us apart?]
    [Only Native English Speakers]
    [International Standard TESOL Accredited English Tutors]
    [Trained in Languages and Applied Linguistics at Griffith University]
    [Up-to-date Primary training materials and methodologies]
    [A desire to make a difference]

A little quote that I always use on my students.
    "Nothing great is ever achieved without enthusiasm"
    Thanks again.

Default Translation help

[There is also a direct relationship between salary and pronunciation ability.]
    Khả năng phát âm chuẩn (Anh ngữ) và sự đền bù xứng đáng (bằng lương bổng) phản ảnh sự liên kết trực tiêp của nhau.
    [Through intensive pronunciation training and exercises we hope to give your child an advantage over other English learners.]
    Qua những sự dầy công huấn luyện và thực tập về phát âm chúng tôi hy vọng đứa con của quí vị sẽ đạt được nhiều lợi điểm hơn so với những đứa trẻ đang học Anh ngữ khác.
    [So open a door on your child’s future.]
    Vậy hãy mở rộng cánh cửa cho tương lai con cái của quí vị.
    [In a tough ever changing world, steps must be taken to secure a successful future.]
    Hiện trạng thế giới trên chiều hướng đổi thay dữ dội, chúng ta phải có những bước tiến nhảy vọt ngỏ hầu đạt đến thành công.
    [With every second the future draws nearer, so take the chance now before it’s too late.]
    Thời gian qua mau, tương lai mỗi giây đến gần hơn, hãy chiếm cơ hội kẻo trể. [Don’t just learn English, know it!]
    Không là chỉ học Anh Ngữ thôi, mà phải hiểu biết và thấu triệt nó.
    [What sets us apart?]
    Điều gì làm cho chúng cách biệt nhau chứ?
    [Only Native English Speakers]
    Chỉ có những người nói tiếng mẹ đẻ là Anh Ngữ.
    [International Standard TESOL Accredited English Tutors]
    Trình độ quốc tế dạy ngôn ngữ TESOL gây đầy đủ uy tín cho các cấp giáo chức dạy Anh Ngữ.
    [Trained in Languages and Applied Linguistics at Griffith University]
    (Chúng tôi) được đào tạo ở Đại Học Đường Griffith về sinh ngữ và ngôn ngữ học thực dụng.
    [Up-to-date Primary training materials and methodologies]
    Vật liệu/tài liệu huần luyện với những phương pháp cập nhật mới bậc nhất.
    [A desire to make a difference]
    Một cao vọng tha thiết để tạo nên một sự khác biệt.

A little quote that I always use on my students.
    "Nothing great is ever achieved without enthusiasm"
    Thiếu tinh thần hăng hái nhiệt tình thì sẽ không có gì thành đạt lớn lao như ý muốn được.
    Last edited by MANH NGUYEN; 02-28-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADUS View Post
    The school I'm teaching at, at the moment is VATC. The staff there have all studied English at University levels and some have even studied translation, but they still have serious listening, pronunciation and understanding problems. Even the Vietnamese English teachers are hard to understand sometmes. They understand all the grammar rules better than a native speaker but don't apply many of them when speaking. It's a little sad to know that most of the high school students learn from these teachers that have never even lived in an English speaking envronment.

I am trying to start a private tuition program where primary school students can train there (shoulde be their) pronunciation so that in later years they will be able to produce the sounds similar to that of a native speaker. Focusing on phonemes (sounds), stresses and rhythms of english. I think grammar is important but shouldn't be learnt through rules but through application and use. Much the same as when you learrn your native language. Most of the students get taught these rules in high school, but if you ask them what they did on the weekend, they respond "I go shop with my friend." So, I wil do my part to help learners of English in Vietnam. That is why I need the translations done, I need to advertise.

Thank you Manh Nguyen for your help and your interest.
    P.S. I will post another part of my advertisement if your](should be you're or you are) interested.
    Please note the above common writing mistakes that most native speakers (or should we say native writers, Bristish and American) make and not confuse your students accordingly. Another common mistake is it's stands for it is, not the possessive form of it, which is its.

You sound nice and good. Just hope you don't charge the poor parents of those kids an arm and a leg for your supposedly effective teaching method.