Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Best Way To Teach My Child?

Thread: Best Way To Teach My Child?

annevu

Default Best Way To Teach My Child?

I was born and raised in the US and my Vietnamese is pretty limited. I can make out the general gist of a Vietnamese conversation but I can't reply and express myself in Vietnamese.

I have a 2-year-old and I've been teaching/learning Vietnamese with him from the Oxford Vietnamese Picture Dictionary (please don't laugh). He picks it up so quick and I know he'll soon outpace my limited knowledge.

I've only been teaching him what I know, as in things I'm 100% sure of the way they sound. But I'd like to learn how to pronounce other words I don't know properly.

Are there any books + auditory learning sets I can get for my child and me to learn of anyone can recommend? I find things on Youtube occasionally that's awesome but it's so limited. I've tried going into Vietnamese bookstores and I'm lost and can't seem to ask the store owners for what I'm looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wow, new for the community! When you are not mastering a language, how to teach your kid! Sorry, I have no experience for this case at all. Hoping the community will contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by annevu View Post
    I was born and raised in the US and my Vietnamese is pretty limited. I can make out the general gist of a Vietnamese conversation but I can't reply and express myself in Vietnamese.

I have a 2-year-old and I've been teaching/learning Vietnamese with him from the Oxford Vietnamese Picture Dictionary (please don't laugh). He picks it up so quick and I know he'll soon outpace my limited knowledge.

I've only been teaching him what I know, as in things I'm 100% sure of the way they sound. But I'd like to learn how to pronounce other words I don't know properly.

Are there any books + auditory learning sets I can get for my child and me to learn of anyone can recommend? I find things on Youtube occasionally that's awesome but it's so limited. I've tried going into Vietnamese bookstores and I'm lost and can't seem to ask the store owners for what I'm looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh! I think you shouldn't be so worry about it. The matter is that you should tell him the importance of knowning Vietnamese. The knowledge of the language will help him one day. You can tell him about your experience, yourself as an lively example. You can tell him many Vietnamese-American people, returning Viet Nam or doing business in VN, feel much regret not to know their grand parents' mother tongue .
    All you tell him will help him has a motive learn without your help.
    Last edited by english-learner; 01-02-2010 at 04:32 PM.

Hi Anne,
    I found this on Amazon.com. I hope this will help.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sing-Learn-Vie...398255&sr=8-12

And you can also send him to a church or a temple to learn Vnese. Oh ya, a karaoke set will be nice too. They have the "The He Tre" DVD with children song that will also help him.
    Last edited by pinkypig; 01-02-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Hello AnneVu. I have a great sugesstion for you. In your area there is likely a Vietnamese community that exsit, depending on how large or small the community is and that depends on the poplulation of Vietnames living in that area. I believe there is a Vietnamese community everywhere in the US. (if you are from there, maybe there are else where in the US as well) However, you can find out and ask if they teach Vietnames, usually they do. Because VNese community around the world would like to preserve their language and pass it on to the next gerneration they would open schools to teach them. Church, temple.. Vnese religious organization also do this as well. Check around your area.

Good Luck.

MDWannaBe