Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Do Vietnamese has a zodiac sign upon birth?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Vietnamese has a zodiac sign upon birth?

Default Do Vietnamese has a zodiac sign upon birth?

Like to find out whether Vietnamese has a zodiac sign upon birth, like what the Chinese believed in, ie, the 12 animals?

Also, do folks in the rural areas, use the lunar calendar more than the western calendar?

Quote Originally Posted by ttw View Post
    Like to find out whether Vietnamese has a zodiac sign upon birth, like what the Chinese believed in, ie, the 12 animals?

Also, do folks in the rural areas, use the lunar calendar more than the western calendar?

Yes, we do. We have cat instead of hare.

We still use lunar calendar but mostly for important ceremonies like death, marriage, ground breaking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Yes, we do. We have cat instead of hare.

We still use lunar calendar but mostly for important ceremonies like death, marriage, ground breaking, etc.
    oic, so the reminding 11 animals are the same? Thanks brother.

oic, so the reminding 11 animals are the same? Thanks brother.
    Yes, they are. Some folks also believe in western signs, too.

Are you trying to match your sign to some lady in Viet Nam ?

Yes, they are. Some folks also believe in western signs, too.

Are you trying to match your sign to some lady in Viet Nam ?
    I'm a hare and she's a cat

I'm a hare and she's a cat
    That's good. Are you sure she a cat not a tigress ? In that case, good luck to you !!!

i don't think most of them do. my father and his entire side of the family is from Viet Nam and none of them know their birthdays'. as for my moms, side...well my mom's white so of course she knows her birthday

Quote Originally Posted by ThichQuanDuc View Post
    i don't think most of them do. my father and his entire side of the family is from Viet Nam and none of them know their birthdays'. as for my moms, side...well my mom's white so of course she knows her birthday
    You based your conclusion on just few people that you know. What about the other 85 million people ?

Quote Originally Posted by ThichQuanDuc View Post
    no, i'd assume that's how it was for the majority of the population since up to the...70s?.....recently, most people in Viet Nam were NOT born in an urban environment. i think around the mid 20th century over 95% of Viet Nam were illiterate and also worked in fields, it's been 50 years. i know, long time ago, but 95% is insanely high and still today most people in North Viet Nam work in the fields last i read. i don't know central and south's statistics
    hey, i could be wrong, i'm never said i was right, i said i think, since so many are born in rural areas just like my father's side of the family was, and none of them know their birthdays
    besides, what's the point in knowing the exact day of your birth? there really is no reason and i doubt people in rural VN really do care even if they do know it
    You assumed a lot of things.

I don't know where you get your info from (they are way off), but go to local library and check out some books about VN.

Check out this book "Understanding Vietnam" by Niel L. Jamieson. It give you some rough idea about VN through the eyes of an American.
    Last edited by Paddy; 10-15-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Talking

You assumed a lot of things.

I don't know where you get your info from (they are way off), but go to local library and check out some books about VN.

Check out this book "Understanding Vietnam" by Niel L. Jamieson. It give you some rough idea about VN through the eyes of an American.
    ROFL, yeah, i made up some stats, LMAO, i didn't really have anything so i gave it a shot, hahahaha, anyway, yeah, all i said was i don't think the majority know their birthdays and i based that on the majority of vietnamese people i know...my family
    hahahaha, i thought it was funny atleast
    it'd be cool if it turned out to be right though