Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
English is crazy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: English is crazy

Default English is crazy

I ran into a very interesting writing about English. Just want to share with you.

An Excerpt from the Introduction
    by Richard Lederer

Let’s face it: English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
    English muffins were not invented in England or french fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet, are meat.
    We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write, but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce, and hammers don’t ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?
    If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
    In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?
    How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? How can the weather be hot as hell one day an cold as hell another?
    When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm clock goes off by going on.
    When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it?
    Now I know why I flunked my English. It’s not my fault; the silly language doesn’t quite know whether it’s coming or going

Smile

I know English is pretty crazy and changing by the time and people who use it but you know you wrote this for us by English.? it's an international language, everyone should use it to speak or communicate with others
    Last edited by Johnathandang; 06-25-2007 at 04:53 AM.

ARG! i hate all those things except my family does pronounce multiple moose, meese.

Good one, i know that english is crazy. The more i study it, the more I have realized that.

indochine

Cool

i guess it's just a tools for comunication.
    without this type of language you guys may not comunicate with each other.

Default hi

i know learning eng is crazy. but if there is not crazy, it will not exciting to learn. right?

Bricelle

That made my head hurt. Thank God I don't use many of those words everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxalis View Post
    I ran into a very interesting writing about English. Just want to share with you.

An Excerpt from the Introduction
    by Richard Lederer

Let’s face it: English is a crazy language. There is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger, neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
    English muffins were not invented in England or french fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet, are meat.
    We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write, but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce, and hammers don’t ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose?
    If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
    In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways?
    How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? How can the weather be hot as hell one day an cold as hell another?
    When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm clock goes off by going on.
    When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it?
    Now I know why I flunked my English. It’s not my fault; the silly language doesn’t quite know whether it’s coming or going

I think, in order to be good in any languages, we must understand their culture. I find English was very difficult to learn at the beginning but once I understand the culture, it made the learning process easier.

English drives me crazy.
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!

How interesting! Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Tophits; 04-02-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Email: thuybot@gmail.com
    Yahoo: thuynfibd5@yahoo.com
    I just want to brush and improve my English.
    Let's contact if you want to ask to translate VN - EL.
    Exchange languages is an great idea.