Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Problems for Vietnamese when speaking english, I welcome public debate on various asp

Thread: Problems for Vietnamese when speaking english, I welcome public debate on various asp

Default Problems for Vietnamese when speaking english, I welcome public debate on various asp

Mr. Guy Klages, Director of English Home speaking english club in Vietnam believes that one of the limitation reason that may challenge Vietnamese to speaking English well is that they are afraid of making mistakes while communicating

Guy said, after a long time manage english clubs in both Vietnam and China, he figured out some "diseases" from english speakers, especially Vietnamese students and pupils

"First of all, i want to talk about the psychology of nervous of mistakes. In our club, i always was encouraging everybody to speak out. My message was very clear: " let''s talk, don’t be afraid of mistakes, don’t be shy." then they felt like they could speak in a comfortable way.

Another wrong leaning method that i see is that they spend too much for vocabulary and grammar, even when they need to deductive a simple situation like " i want to go home now", as usually they cant speak it immediately, i mean lack of reflection, they have to think in their head first about how to translate from Vietnamese to English, it’s a wrong way.
    To be fluent in english, in my opinion they need to pronoun in a good way. Only right pronoun makes both listener and speaker communicate well.

Use every capability, meet up with english native speaker, go to club, coffee place, for example even making friend with foreign people via internet ( instead of chit chat, looking for partner as most of young Vietnamese do, they should spend sometimes to learn English, shouldn’t they? "

Quote Originally Posted by Oxalis View Post
    Mr. Guy Klages, Director of English Home speaking english club in Vietnam believes that one of the limitation reason that may challenge Vietnamese to speaking English well is that they are afraid of making mistakes while communicating

Guy said, after a long time manage english clubs in both Vietnam and China, he figured out some "diseases" from english speakers, especially Vietnamese students and pupils

"First of all, i want to talk about the psychology of nervous of mistakes. In our club, i always was encouraging everybody to speak out. My message was very clear: " let''s talk, don’t be afraid of mistakes, don’t be shy." then they felt like they could speak in a comfortable way.

Another wrong leaning method that i see is that they spend too much for vocabulary and grammar, even when they need to deductive a simple situation like " i want to go home now", as usually they cant speak it immediately, i mean lack of reflection, they have to think in their head first about how to translate from Vietnamese to English, it’s a wrong way.
    To be fluent in english, in my opinion they need to pronoun in a good way. Only right pronoun makes both listener and speaker communicate well.

Use every capability, meet up with english native speaker, go to club, coffee place, for example even making friend with foreign people via internet ( instead of chit chat, looking for partner as most of young Vietnamese do, they should spend sometimes to learn English, shouldn’t they? "
    Uhmm, this is kinda correct to a extent. What i mean by just to an extent is that speaking does indeed needed to pronoun in a good way, but what the hell, i've been speaking without the "end sound" for like thousands of years and have to struggle to say a simple word like WANT correctly.
    In addition, yes a person who live in VN is shy when making mistake when talking to a foreigner, but again, how many chance an average person gets to talk to an English? Personally, i would very appreciate that chance and in my mind, i won't allow myself to make silly mistake like that. Thus it's natural for me to feel nervous. If i live in US or Canada, that's a different matter, the ultimate goal is to communicate, so i said whatever i can to make my partner understand, even if i have to spell out the word.
    One more point, you ( or the profs ) stated that learning vocabulary and grammar too much, and then have to suffer through the process of translating is a wrong way. I very much disagree with that. It's not wrong to be too focus on grammar or vocabulary, it's just because in Vietnam, we teach the academic language, not the casual type. Plus, I bet you that 90% of people learning in English in VN with a tight budget would have to translate from VNese to English just because they haven't used it enough, or haven't had a chance to use it enough.
    Hmm, maybe i sound too defensive in this matter, but my point is that those weaknesses you stated above is correct, but put yourself in the others position, it'd be different.
    Cheers,

dolphin

Hummm, shit! So what's hell is it? Read two acticles above, I think the problems for Vietnamese learning English are right, but the opinions of khaostheory are reasonable also. We already been giving out, discussing, debating and giving thousand of solutions for a long time. But it seems to be useless.
    So what is the problem here?
    In my own opinion, I think the reason " Vietnamese learners are always being shy when speaking English" is right. I accept that but I know lot of my foreign friends are the same, actually they are a little bit better anyway. That's the fact 'coz they were educated of being confident when they're little. So, they have to be better than us. Shyness is a chronic behavor of human beings. It take time or never (maybe) to eliminate. Even Vietnamese living abroad, their English may be rezo, 'coz they are still afraid of being wrong, they feel shy when communicate with non-Vietnamese people.
    For the reason "spend too much time on learning vocabulary and grammar"...hmm, to some extents, that's true! I have to say not too much maybe, but much more than the time we spent on practicing speaking skill. Having chance to speaking with native English speaker is rare, but speaking English between Vietnamese students is rare too. That's so...so terrible!I think to improve it, the teachers have to encourage students, especially the beginners to speak English, simple sentences, simple dialogues, step by step, even learn by heart all those dialogues. I am sure that small and easy thing will help you become more confident and then you will have passion to move on. You will see in work, in common life, you use this more than all grammar and vocabularies being studied at school (but that help you get better mark at school! Poor you!). Anyway, nothing to be shamed to speak English out loud but it's so shamed if you, a student with 4 years learning English, couldn't speak a simple sentence with a foreigner!

chuồnchuồn say nắng

Tớ không tài nào phát âm được chữ "r". Những từ đơn giản nhất như "rich", hay cái gì liên quan đến số 3 là tớ chịu chết... Cái lưỡi của tớ không chịu rrruuuuuuuung lên như cô giáo tớ bảo. Tiếng việt thì không sao vì dân miền bắc vốn chả ai thèm phát âm đúng mấy cái chữ nghe đã thấy mỏi mồm (mặc dù họ nói được). Đến lúc học tiếng Anh mới thấy khổ sở. Ai có cách gì giúp tớ không?

dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by chuồnchuồn say nắng View Post
    Tớ không tài nào phát âm được chữ "r". Những từ đơn giản nhất như "rich", hay cái gì liên quan đến số 3 là tớ chịu chết... Cái lưỡi của tớ không chịu rrruuuuuuuung lên như cô giáo tớ bảo. Tiếng việt thì không sao vì dân miền bắc vốn chả ai thèm phát âm đúng mấy cái chữ nghe đã thấy mỏi mồm (mặc dù họ nói được). Đến lúc học tiếng Anh mới thấy khổ sở. Ai có cách gì giúp tớ không?
    Hơ..hơ hơ...Thế thì giống tớ rùi!Tớ cũng khó phát âm chữ r, nhưng đỡ hơn chuồn chuồn say nắng là ít nhất là nói được từ "rich" dễ dàng, hì nhưng những từ như zero,group...kiểu kiểu thế thì rặn mãi mới ra. Tớ thì ko giúp được chuồn chuồn rùi vì tớ đã nghiên cứu 4 năm mà ko nghĩ ra cách nào, luyện tập cũng ko cải thiện tình hinh. . Nhưng tớ phát hiện ra là bọn lưỡi dài nói tiếng Anh khá nhanh (tớ ko bảo là hay đâu nhé) và chữ R đối với bọn nó chẳng có khó khăn gì. Tớ nghĩ uốn lưỡi cũng như tập múa, mình không có khiếu (lưỡi không dài) thì ít nhất cũng phải tập từ nhỏ . Giờ thì chắc chịu rùi . Đây là nỗi đau chung của mấy nước châu Á đấy chứ ko phải mỗi mình đâu. Chẳng thế mà bọn Hàn Quốc có dịch vụ phẫu thuật nối cho lưỡi dài ra đấy (rumor thôi , cũng hot như là phong trào học tiếng Anh luôn nhớ! Chuồn chuồn có xèn thì bay sang đó mà thử!
    Good luck!

@Dolphin: You should practice more and more the "r" sound. The more you practice, the successful you are. There are many material for pronunciation. Just try your best

Spot on! You've got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxalis View Post

Interesting, huh!