Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
English-native speaker: Correct for me, please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English-native speaker: Correct for me, please!

Default English-native speaker: Correct for me, please!

These are two verbal problems, I don't know whether they're written grammatically.

1. At the request of plan, a factory would make 1500 products within 30 days. But owing to arranging work rationally, the factory outdid 15 products per day in fact. Therefore, the factory didn't only exceed the production norm 225 products but also fullfil the plan before the schedule.
    How many days did the factory shorten?

2. A motor-cyclist went from A to B at the speed of 25 km/h. When returning, he went at the speed of 30 km/h so the backward time is less than the forward one 20 minutes.
    Evaluate the distance AB

Thank in advance.

1. fulfil should be "fulfilled"

Default tranlation from Fadedjeans

1. At the request of plan, a factory would produce 1,500 products within 30 days, but owing to arranging the work rationally in fact, the factory outdid 15 products per day. Therefore, the factory did not only exceed the production norm of 225 products, but also fulfilled the plan before the scheduled due date.

2.A motor-cyclist went from A to B at the speed of 25km/hr. When returning he went at a speed of 30km/h. As a result, the returning travel time of equal distance was decreased by 20 minutes.
    Evaluate the distance AB.
    Last edited by fadedjeans; 02-18-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fadedjeans View Post
    1. At the request of plan, a factory would produce 1,500 products within 30 days, but owing to arranging the work rationally in fact, the factory outdid 15 products per day. Therefore, the factory did not only exceed the production norm of 225 products, but also fulfilled the plan before the scheduled due date.

2.A motor-cyclist went from A to B at the speed of 25km/hr. When returning he went at a speed of 30km/h. As a result, the returning travel time of equal distance was decreased by 20 minutes.
    Evaluate the distance AB.
    Thanks a lot.

BTW: I think, 1500 products is vague but 1 500 products and 1,500 products are OK?

other two verbal problems need to edit:

1. It took a cano 4 hours to travel downstream and 5 hours to travel upstream. Calculate the distance AB given that the speed of running water is 2 km/h

2. A motor-cycle and an automobile traveled from A to B at the distinct speeds. The constant speed of the motorcycle is ...km/h, the one of the automobile is....km/h. The automobile is calculated to start before the motor a period of time so that the two vehicles came to B at the same time. Because of a special reason, traveling 2/3 the distance AB, the automobile run at the constant speed of 27.5 km/h. As a result, the motot catched up with the automobile where they were 124 km far from B.
    Compute the distance AB

The , is just place marker. 1 500 is not correct way to write numbers.

1,500 is correct 1,000 is correct 10,000 is correct

100,000 is correct.

1. It took a canoe 4 hours to travel downstream and 5 hours to travel upstream. Calculate the distance between AB given that the speed of running water is 2 km/h.

2. A motor-cycle and an automobile traveled from A to B at two distinct speeds. The constant speed of the motorcycle is ...km/h, the one of the automobile is....km/h. The automobile's travel time is calculated to allow it to start before the motor-cycle but arrive at B at the same time. Due to unexpected circumstances, the automobile had to travel at a constant speed of 27.5 km/h for 2/3 of the way from A to B. As a result, the motor-cycle caught up with the automobile while they were both still 124km away from B.
    Compute the distance AB

Thank you very much. It's very kind of you to help me.

The questions needed a little correction as there were some issues with tense.

1. It took a canoe 4 hours to travel downstream to point A and 5 hours to travel upstream to point B. Calculate the distance between A and B given that the speed of the running water was 2 km/h.

2. A motor-cycle and an automobile travelled from A to B at two different speeds. The constant speed of the motorcycle was ...km/h and the speed of the automobile was....km/h. The automobile's travel time was calculated to allow it to start before the motor-cycle but to arrive at B at the same time. Due to unexpected circumstances, the automobile had to travel at a constant speed of 27.5 km/h for 2/3 of the way from A to B. As a result, the motor-cycle caught up with the automobile while they were both still 124km away from B.
    Calculate the distance from A to B

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky42 View Post
    The questions needed a little correction as there were some issues with tense.

1. It took a canoe 4 hours to travel downstream to point A and 5 hours to travel upstream to point B. Calculate the distance between A and B given that the speed of the running water was 2 km/h.

2. A motor-cycle and an automobile travelled from A to B at two different speeds. The constant speed of the motorcycle was ...km/h and the speed of the automobile was....km/h. The automobile's travel time was calculated to allow it to start before the motor-cycle but to arrive at B at the same time. Due to unexpected circumstances, the automobile had to travel at a constant speed of 27.5 km/h for 2/3 of the way from A to B. As a result, the motor-cycle caught up with the automobile while they were both still 124km away from B.
    Calculate the distance from A to B
    Thank you very much for your help. I'm a math-teacher so it's very helpful.

btw: You write "different speed" but in American I've read they write "distinct speed"
    In addition, in some math-web, I recognize " uniform speed", "constant speed" I think uniform speed and constant speed are the same meanings. Is it right?

Anyway, I think:

It took a canoe 4 hours to travel downstream from A to B and 5 hours to go upstream from B to A
    Last edited by english-learner; 02-20-2010 at 01:56 PM.