Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Can you translate the Viet word "cố chấp" for me?

Thread: Can you translate the Viet word "cố chấp" for me?

hung_tutor

Default Can you translate the Viet word "cố chấp" for me?

Hi buddy,

in Vietnamese, "cố chấp" has 2 meanings:

-First, (tính từ) Cứ một mực giữ nguyên ý kiến theo những quan niệm cứng nhắc sẵn có. Vì thiên kiến đi đến cố chấp. Con người cố chấp.

-Second, (động từ) Để ý lâu đến những sơ suất của người khác đối với mình đến mức có định kiến. Vì cố chấp nên thiếu độ lượng.

the first one can be translated as "Intolerant" as in "Intolerant person" (Con người cố chấp).

But what about the second one, I don't know how to translate the word "cố chấp" (động từ).

You can see "cố chấp" in Dict.BraveKing.com

Regards,

Hung

Quote Originally Posted by hung_tutor View Post
    Hi buddy,

in Vietnamese, "cố chấp" has 2 meanings:

-First, (tính từ) Cứ một mực giữ nguyên ý kiến theo những quan niệm cứng nhắc sẵn có. Vì thiên kiến đi đến cố chấp. Con người cố chấp.

-Second, (động từ) Để ý lâu đến những sơ suất của người khác đối với mình đến mức có định kiến. Vì cố chấp nên thiếu độ lượng.

the first one can be translated as "Intolerant" as in "Intolerant person" (Con người cố chấp).

But what about the second one, I don't know how to translate the word "cố chấp" (động từ).

You can see "cố chấp" in Dict.BraveKing.com

Regards,

Hung
    Không biết lấy định nghĩa Việt Nam từ đâu ra. Cả hai trường hợp trên đều đồng nghĩa.

In the second example the phrase "thiếu độ lượng" is given. "Thiếu độ lượng" có nghĩa là thiếu sự khoan dung, và cũng có nghĩa là "Intolerant"

Tại sao không dịch từ "cố chấp" theo định nghĩa Anh văn? "Cố chấp" dịch theo định nghĩa Anh Văn là 1) intolerant 2) self-opinionated 3) stubborn 4) obstinate 5) unyielding

In verb form it would be: "to be intolerant" "to be self-opinionated" "to be stubborn" "to be obstinate" "to be unyielding"

Quote Originally Posted by carolton67 View Post
    Không biết lấy định nghĩa Việt Nam từ đâu ra. Cả hai trường hợp trên đều đồng nghĩa.

In the second example the phrase "thiếu độ lượng" is given. "Thiếu độ lượng" có nghĩa là thiếu sự khoan dung, và cũng có nghĩa là "Intolerant"

Tại sao không dịch từ "cố chấp" theo định nghĩa Anh văn? "Cố chấp" dịch theo định nghĩa Anh Văn là 1) intolerant 2) self-opinionated 3) stubborn 4) obstinate 5) unyielding

In verb form it would be: "to be intolerant" "to be self-opinionated" "to be stubborn" "to be obstinate" "to be unyielding"
    I agree with carolton67, cố chấp tiếng Việt nghĩa giống với stubborn, obstinate, opinionated, hard headed in English là giữ khư khư quan điểm mình, không chấp nhận những ý kiến khác.

Còn intolerant là thiếu độ lượng, không dễ tha thứ. Thí dụ như câu sau:

He is open-minded to new ideas but very intolerant to sloppiness.
    (Ông ta sẵn sàng chấp nhận những ý kiến mới nhưng rất khó chịu về sự lè phè)

Cũng có thể dịch cố chấp là "intolerant to new ideas" but not intolerant by itself.

hung_tutor

Default you guy should have a Vietnamese Dictionary at home!!

Thank for ur reply!

I based on "Từ điển Tiếng Viềt Trung Tâm Từ Điển Học Viet Nam 1994".

First thing I wanna say is that:

-If your first language is Vietnamese & If you want to be good at English, You have to be good at both Vietnamese & English. Otherwise, you can have problem when translating Viet to English.

-Unfortunately, it's sad that mojority of Viet people (include well-educated people) don't have a Vietnamese Dictionary at home.

-In Vietnamese, sometimes Verb & Adjective share the same form. But don't worry about that, let focus on meaning.

-The meaning "Cứ một mực giữ nguyên ý kiến theo những quan niệm cứng nhắc sẵn có" is totally different from "Để ý lâu đến những sơ suất của người khác đối với mình đến mức có định kiến".

-The first meaning can be translated as 1) intolerant 2) self-opinionated 3) stubborn 4) obstinate 5) unyielding (Agree! No comment!).

-The second "Để ý lâu đến những sơ suất của người khác đối với mình đến mức có định kiến" means that you often pay attention to the minor mistakes of other person so much that you always think that that person is the main resource of all troublesome problems.

I am looking for an English word that somehow similar to the second mening.

Dictionaries are only as good as the people who write them. Dictionaries written by people in Vietnam and by people living abroad are different according to knowledge, frequent exposure to language, and a grasp of English nuances. Just as you would get a different translation of a word or phrase if you asked five different people. Some choose to be formal while others choose to be informal, it doesn't mean they're wrong. I have 7 dictionaries including Vietnamese ones and they will all have different definitions. In those instances, the consensus is you accept the definition that is the most common appearing the most frequently.

Default Translation help

Intolerant, unforgivable
    Steadfast, stedfast.
    To stand fixed, unchanged.

May^' nguoi` nay` xai` toan` tieng' anh ma` ko dich. thi` lam` sao ma` cac' thanh` vien hoac. khach' vieng' tham co' the^? hieu? duoc.
    Dau^ phai? ai trong dien^~ dan` cung~ la` nhung~ nguoi` thanh` thao. tieng' anh , nguoi` ta ko biet' thi` moi' can` hoi? chu*".
    Tuy rang` cha? loi` bang` tieng' anh la` tot' nhung* se~ lam` cho nguoi` doc. to^'n thoi` gian tra tu*` moi*' va` doi^ khi ghep' vao` trong cau^ no' lai. cha? ra cai' nghia~ gi`.
    Nhu* vay.^ xin de^` nghi. cac' anh chi. " pro " sau khi viet' nhung~ cau^ tieng' anh ma` theo cac' anh chi. se~ gay^ kho' hieu? doi' voi' nguoi` doc. , thi` lam` on* dich. sang tieng' viet. gium` em va` cac' ban. con` kem' hieu? biet' ve^` tieng' anh.
    -Em cung~ co' them^ y' kien^' la` em cha? biet' bai` nao` viet' ve^` Anh-Anh va` bai` nao` viet' ve^` Anh-Mi~ , cac' anh chi. co' cach' nao` khac' phuc. tinh`trang. nay` ko?