Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Education system in Viet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Education system in Viet

Default Education system in Viet

i would like to know how does vietnam education system work.

i understand from my girlfriend that when she say,her highest qualification is 12/12....what does that mean?high school or pre-u

12/12 likes the high school system in the USA. That means you should passed thru 12 levels in high school system to be able get your high school diploma.

In Vietnam before, the education system allows Northern high school students finish their high school program in 10 years. Truly, it has followed the education program in the old USSR. Instead of spending 12 years to get the diploma, student needs only 10 years for getting the high school diploma. Of course, there are some unnecessaries courses in the system will be waived for a student can be able to get thru the system in 10 years.

12/12 is not the highest qualifications in vietnam that is wrong, it means that ur gf graduated high school. basiclly we have 12 levels = 12 years in vn education system after that u have to take exams to uni and it is not easy to pass. whoever fails in this exams they can try again the next year or they can choose other studying program like diploma or college, skills,... depend on how high their marks are on the exams. appearantly most private schools qualifications in vietnam not as good as public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by xgirl View Post
    12/12 is not the highest qualifications in vietnam that is wrong, it means that ur gf graduated high school. basiclly we have 12 levels = 12 years in vn education system after that u have to take exams to uni and it is not easy to pass. whoever fails in this exams they can try again the next year or they can choose other studying program like diploma or college, skills,... depend on how high their marks are on the exams. appearantly most private schools qualifications in vietnam not as good as public schools.
    Is there one standard method for writing the Vietnamese language across the educational system? If so, where could I find an example of it compared to the old method of writing the South Vietnamese dialect? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey78 View Post
    i would like to know how does vietnam education system work.

i understand from my girlfriend that when she say,her highest qualification is 12/12....what does that mean?high school or pre-u
    Your girl friend said so, maybe, she'd like to say that she finised 12 grade.
    In the south of VN before 1975, to finished high school, you have to study 12 grades. When you finished grade 12, you is received a certificate. With this certificate, you can take an examination called Tu Tai. If you pass this examination, you get a diploma called "Tu Tai diploma". To go to university, you must to have Tu Tai diploma. In this time, there was private university in the South.

Before 1975 too, there is 10 grades to finish high school in the north of VN. After finishing grade 10, you can attend an examination to get a diploma. This diploma is called "gradated high school diploma" not Tu Tai. With this diploma, you can take an exam to enter university. Remember that the North of VN there was not private university until 90's

After 1975, the South keep on its education system. It was not until 80's the government realizes the education system of the South was better. So they has deleted the education system of 10 grades in the North. And nowadays, there is only one education system of 12 grades for high school level

At present, after finishing high school, you can go to a private university without taking an entrance exam. Private univesities' teaching quality is not as good as public universities' one
    Last edited by english-learner; 11-08-2008 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    Is there one standard method for writing the Vietnamese language across the educational system? If so, where could I find an example of it compared to the old method of writing the South Vietnamese dialect? Thank you.
    the standard method for writing the V language is the same across the country.
    But there are some difference in conversation.
    For example:
    flower = bông (South) = hoa (North). And many people say: bông hoa as a compound noun.

father/ dad = Ba (south) = Bố (north) = Cha (formal, usually in writting)
    mother = Má (south) = Mẹ (north) =Mạ (the northern center of VN : Huế, Quãng Bình, Quãng Trị) = Mợ (Hai Phong province and some local area)=Bu (dialect in some area in the North) =Mẹ (common in writting across the country)
    etc....so many to write down

Quote Originally Posted by english-learner View Post
    the standard method for writing the V language is the same across the country.
    But there are some difference in conversation.
    Thank you very much for your reply! So, the differences now are only regional/dialectical vocabulary differences only? I learned to read/write the South Vietnamese dialect back in the early 70s but I understood that there were two additional tones in the Northern dialect. So, the writing system used now across all of Viet Nam, both officially and educationally, is the same method used in the writing system of the South Vietnamese dialect in the early 70's?

Thank you very much for your reply! So, the differences now are only regional/dialectical vocabulary differences only? I learned to read/write the South Vietnamese dialect back in the early 70s but I understood that there were two additional tones in the Northern dialect. So, the writing system used now across all of Viet Nam, both officially and educationally, is the same method used in the writing system of the South Vietnamese dialect in the early 70's?
    The writing method was the same all these years. The differences arise when certain region of VN pronounce the words.

For instance, in the South, people could not pronounce the words begin with R or V, instead they pronounce these words like they begin with G or D, respectively.

In the North, some region people can't pronounce words begin with L, and will say them as if they begin with N.

Thank you very much for your reply! So, the differences now are only regional/dialectical vocabulary differences only? I learned to read/write the South Vietnamese dialect back in the early 70s but I understood that there were two additional tones in the Northern dialect. <b> So, the writing system used now across all of Viet Nam, both officially and educationally, is the same method used in the writing system of the South Vietnamese dialect in the early 70's?</b>
    Yes, it's so.
    sometimes to express exactly or directly what people said the writer uses the writing method which is non-orthodox.
    example: "chết rồi" = "chết dzồi"; wife = "vợ" ="dzợ" ="dợ"
    Hà Nội (the capital of VN) = "Hà Lội"
    However. this way is humorous.

the southern people often say his wife is "bà xã", then my wife = bà xã tôi, bà xã của tôi. Similarly, husband is "ông xã"

Quote Originally Posted by english-learner View Post
    Yes, it's so.
    sometimes to express exactly or directly what people said the writer uses the writing method which is non-orthodox.
    example: "chết rồi" = "chết dzồi"; wife = "vợ" ="dzợ" ="dợ"
    Hà Nội (the capital of VN) = "Hà Lội"
    However. this way is humorous.

the southern people often say his wife is "bà xã", then my wife = bà xã tôi, bà xã của tôi. Similarly, husband is "ông xã"
    I give my supplementary ideas...

Today, teen have wrote "chết rồi" = "chết òi", "ông xã" = "ox", "bà xã" = "bx"

And in the southern, people have called his wife or her husband is "nhà tôi". His wife is "bà nhà tôi", similarly, husband is "ông nhà tôi"!

----------
    Thanks english-learner, I'm studying how to write English, then I have copy a litte your spelling! Please help me more!

Cám ơn english-learner, tui đang học cách viết tiếng Anh nên có bắt chước cách viết của bạn chút chút! Thông cảm, và chỉ thêm!
    If I make a mistake when I write in English, advise me right away. If not, I won't know where I'm wrong (cám ơn carolton67 đã sữa giúp)

Nếu tôi có viết tiếng Anh sai chỗ nào, chỉ tôi liền nhé! Chứ không ấy thì tôi chả biết tôi sai nữa!