Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Vietnamese custom, raising Cay neu on Tet holiday.

Thread: Vietnamese custom, raising Cay neu on Tet holiday.

hdungbeat

Default Vietnamese custom, raising Cay neu on Tet holiday.

In Viet Nam, on the days before Tet holliday, almost villages raise Cay neu. Cay neu is a bamboo tree decorated with alot of thing.
    Fisrt, some young villagers choose one bamboo tree which is straight and fairly big and measure about twenty metres in length. Then they chop down the tree, bring it to a broad grass. The bamboo tree will be cut down some unnecessary branches.

After decorating the bamboo tree with variety of colour paper on the trunk, the villagers hang on the branches of the tree a ring attached by alot of thing like tradition flag (cờ giải), a carp of paper (cá chép giấy) or one catus branch(cành xương rồng)...expecially, some porcelain plagues (khánh sứ) also are hung on the tree. When the wind blows they hit each other and make joyful tinkles.

People believe that the things hung up on the Cay neu and the tinkles of porcelain plagues will chase away all bad thing and devils. Therefore all people will have a happy New Year.

Raising Cay neu on Vietnamese New year is a beautiful custom of Vietnamese but nowaday this custom is fading more and more.

If you feel free and interested, we can discuss this custom and corect me when you find out wrong things!
    Last edited by hdungbeat; 01-04-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hdungbeat View Post
    In Viet Nam, on the days before Tet holliday, almost villages raise Cay neu. Cay neu is a bamboo tree decorated with alot of thing.
    Fisrt, some young villagers choose one bamboo tree which is straight and fairly big and measure about twenty metres in length. Then they chop down the tree, bring it to a broad grass. The bamboo tree will be cut down some unnecessary branches.

After decorating the bamboo tree with variety of colour paper on the trunk, the villagers hang on the branches of the tree a ring attached by alot of thing like tradition flag (cờ giải), a carp of paper (cá chép giấy) or one catus branch(cành xương rồng)...expecially, some porcelain plagues (khánh sứ) also are hung on the tree. When the wind blows they hit each other and make joyful tinkles.

People believe that the things hung up on the Cay neu and the tinkles of porcelain plagues will chase away all bad thing and devils. Therefore all people will have a happy New Year.

Raising Cay neu on Vietnamese New year is a beautiful custom of Vietnamese but nowaday this custom is fading more and more.

If you feel free and interested, we can discuss this custom and corect me when you find out wrong things!
    Cái lệ này và rắc vôi hình cung kiếm là gốc từ Phật giáo hay sao đó, để tớ hỏi lại cho chắc ăn.

hdungbeat

Tui không biết cây nêu ở Miền Nam và Miền Bắc có khác nhau không? Nhưng tôi đọc một tài liệu nói là chỉ có cây nêu Miền Bắc mới treo những cái khánh sứ. Những dân tộc Tây Bắc cũng trồng cây nêu trong ngày tết của họ giống như người Kinh ở dưới xuôi.

In Viet Nam, on the days before Tet holliday, almost villages raise Cay neu. Cay neu is a bamboo tree decorated with a lot of thing.
    Fisrt First, some young villagers choose one bamboo tree which is straight and fairly big and measure about twenty metres in length. Then they chop down the tree, bring it to a broad grass (bãi cỏ lớn = big lawn). The bamboo tree will be cut down some unnecessary branches. Unnecessary/unwanted branches will be trimmed off (trim=tiả).

After decorating the bamboo tree with variety of colour paper on the trunk, the villagers hang on the branches of the tree a ring attached by alot of thing like tradition flag (cờ giải), a carp of paper paper carp (cá chép giấy) or one cactus branch(cành xương rồng)...especially, some porcelain plagues (khánh sứ) also are hung on the tree. When the wind blows they hit each other and make joyful tinkles.

Few correction.

hdungbeat

Thank Paddy to correct me.
    How is the difference between "carp of paper " and "paper carp"?
    thanks again!
    Last edited by hdungbeat; 01-08-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Thank Paddy to correct me.
    How is the difference between "carp of paper " and "paper carp"?
    thanks again!
    Carp made of paper thì nghe được. Cá chép làm bằng giấy.

paper carp: cá chép giấy. Paper ở đây là tính từ. Giống như paper tiger: cọp giấy.

Alright guys, can someone please tell me for year 2008, when will be the Tet holiday? My girlfriend told me a few dates (05 Feb 08 starts the Tet holiday?) which confused me. By the way, I suppose this Tet holiday is the New Year for the Vietnamese?

One more thing, I suppose Vietnamese do take pork

hdungbeat

Vietnameses usually have five days off on Tet holliday. The Tet holliday will be from 06 Feb 2008 to 09 Feb 2008. The first day of Lunar new year is 07 Feb 2008.

Vietnameses usually have five days off on Tet holliday. The Tet holliday will be from 06 Feb 2008 to 09 Feb 2008. The first day of Lunar new year is 07 Feb 2008.
    oic, so the Vietnamese new year follows our Chinese lunar new year.

Thanks.