Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Robust - nghia cua tu

Thread: Robust - nghia cua tu

Default Robust - nghia cua tu

Sorry I don't know where to put this question.

I read a lot of scientific papers which used the word "robust" when mentioning results.
    For ex: The ordering of drug classes in terms of risk of discontinuation was consistent despite methods of analysis, thus supporting the robust nature of the drug-class comparision results.
    Could you explain the meaning of "robust" for me more clearly? I have looked it up in dictionary but still can't figure it out.
    Also, which Vietnamese words have the coresponding meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by laky View Post
    Sorry I don't know where to put this question.

I read a lot of scientific papers which used the word "robust" when mentioning results.
    For ex: The ordering of drug classes in terms of risk of discontinuation was consistent despite methods of analysis, thus supporting the robust nature of the drug-class comparision results.
    Could you explain the meaning of "robust" for me more clearly? I have looked it up in dictionary but still can't figure it out.
    Also, which Vietnamese words have the coresponding meaning?
    ro⋅bust**/roʊˈbʌst, ˈroʊbʌst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [roh-buhst, roh-buhst] Show IPA
    –adjective 1. strong and healthy; hardy; vigorous: a robust young man; a robust faith; a robust mind.
    2. strongly or stoutly built: his robust frame.
    3. suited to or requiring bodily strength or endurance: robust exercise.
    4. rough, rude, or boisterous: robust drinkers and dancers.
    5. rich and full-bodied: the robust flavor of freshly brewed coffee.

Hope this would help make sense.
    Last edited by MANH NGUYEN; 06-18-2009 at 09:11 AM.

The dictionaries are not very good at explaining this particular use of the word.

What it means in the context you have cited is that the results are seen as very RELIABLE, because the tests/experiments were well-designed and good procedures were followed. So the results could stand up to any criticisms or challenges which might be made against them.

'Robust' still has a link to its basic meaning of 'strong', but here it is used in a very specific context.

Great, many thanks for your help, Rukkhamula and Manh Nguyen. Now I can understand the text. In Vietnamese dictionary, it is translated into "thô" (sturdy, rough). That's why I can't pick up the meaning in this context.

By the way, I found one definition which may be suitable to the use of this word:
    robust - strong enough to withstand or overcome intellectual challenges or adversity; "the experiment yielded robust results"; "a robust faith" (from thefreedcitionary.com)