Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
viet nick names - help!

Thread: viet nick names - help!

Default viet nick names - help!

Hello everyone - I am new to this site and I think it is great since I want to get back to my root and vietnamese culture more.

I need help in coming up with a nick name for my godson. He was born in the year of the pig and as cute as it is, I don't want to call him "heo con" as that may stick and it won't be cute when he is older. Also, I don't want to call him "cu ti" or "ut ti", etc. What are other nick names commonly use in the vietnamese culture? Pls help! Btw, his real name is Phong (wind).

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by kbui View Post
    Hello everyone - I am new to this site and I think it is great since I want to get back to my root and vietnamese culture more.

I need help in coming up with a nick name for my godson. He was born in the year of the pig and as cute as it is, I don't want to call him "heo con" as that may stick and it won't be cute when he is older. Also, I don't want to call him "cu ti" or "ut ti", etc. What are other nick names commonly use in the vietnamese culture? Pls help! Btw, his real name is Phong (wind).

Thanks in advance!
    Humm ...
    This is tough to me too. But why are you worrying too much. Just be ease, you can give him what ever come from your love (or only love)...
    Thất bại lớn nhất của đời người là tự đại
    Đáng thương nhất của đời người là tự ti.
    Tự đại + Tự ti = thất bại đáng thương nhất

Thanks in advance!
    In VN, many young people were not born in the year of Mouse but their nicknames at home ( their nick name called in family) are "cu Tý".
    But I think "cu tý' is not a good choice . At present, family names is seldom used in VN, and Vietnamese children don't like it Generally, family names are old-fashion !!!
    If his class-mates learn his family name (when he is older) they 'll play a joke on it.

Phong means The Wind, it's a beautiful name .
    Last edited by english-learner; 04-16-2008 at 01:55 PM.

hdungbeat

Quote Originally Posted by english-learner View Post
    In VN, many young people were not born in the year of Mouse but their nicknames at home ( their nick name called in family) are "cu Tý".
    But I think "cu tý' is not a good choice . At present, family names is seldom used in VN, and Vietnamese children don't like it Generally, family names are old-fashion !!!
    If his class-mates learn his family name (when he is older) they 'll play a joke on it.

Phong means The Wind, it's a beautiful name .
    @ english-learner: What do you mean when saying family name? family name means "tên họ" and is always used in Vietnam, don't mistake. Cordially!

@kbui: I suggest that you can use some nickname for your sweet child like "bờm", "cún con", "tèo"

Thanks in advance!
    What about "cu heo"?

Thanks in advance!
    "Heo" maybe a good nickname, in my opinion. I have a cousin who was born in 2007(the year of the pig), and I like to call him "heo", it's very cute!! You don't have to worry about when he gets older. B/c all the nicknames used in VNmese family are "ugly" names. The purpose of those ones are to keep the baby away from bad things, and to make it easier and closer for parents to call their sweet children.
    Otherwise, there are lots of cute nicknames like: Tủn, Bi, Chuột, Tèo, ... or you can create one by yourself.
    Hope this may help!
    Don't try to look so wise
    Don't cry cause you're so right
    Don't dry, with fakes or fear
    Cause you will hate yourself in the end

I like " ủn " or " ỉn " which are the sound the pig shout.

Did I use the right word "shout" in this case?
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!