Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Help me translate this text please?

Thread: Help me translate this text please?

Default Help me translate this text please?

Hello,
    I'm a Vietnamese American but due to my upbringing, I was not really connected to the Vietnamese community nor language and I am beginning to integrate into it.

I am now in a city where I can meet and become friends with members of the vietnamese community, but I received an odd text all in Viet. Those in the Viet community who know me know I can't read it well and I received it from a phone number that I don't have. What troubles me is that when I tried to ask a friend about it, they told me it was about someone not wanting to be my friend anymore and I can't recall ever offending someone in recent history. I'm hoping to discover what this means and who it's from because I don't want to be making a mistake over and over with people I want to keep in my life.

Here it is:
    Nghe noi dao nay may lam an den lam a . chac tai tao dung ko? tao xin loi may nhe. tu jio (i don't think that last word is right) may dung coi tao la ban nua nhe.

Please help?

Quote Originally Posted by khoifish View Post

Here it is:
    Nghe noi dao nay may lam an den lam a . chac tai tao dung ko? tao xin loi may nhe. tu jio (i don't think that last word is right) may dung coi tao la ban nua nhe.

Please help?
    [I ] heard that you are doing bad [in business] . [and] That was because of me, wasn't it ? I am sorry. From now on don't you consider me as a friend anymore.

It seems like you had blamed someone for your failure in your business/career.

Default Thank you!

Hey Paddy, thanks for the reply. I asked a few relatives and friends as well, but they weren't sure of the slang used in the text nor using 'j' in some of the words.

I replied to the text with "xin loi. Have I offended you?"

I received a reply with "Nt ji vay? day ko hieu?"

My viet isn't that great, so he's asking whether I understand though?

At this point i'm not sure it's someone I know. They're not using any english with me, which all my Viet acquaintences know of my lack of aptitude with the language. The number I'm receiving it from is also non US i think:
    8-493-626-****

I might be typing the number wrong as well. I checked an international phone number site and Vietnam's digits are "84".

I've never been to Vietnam, so this is making this even stranger.

Is this an international number?

Quote Originally Posted by khoifish View Post
    Hey Paddy, thanks for the reply. I asked a few relatives and friends as well, but they weren't sure of the slang used in the text nor using 'j' in some of the words.

I replied to the text with "xin loi. Have I offended you?"

I received a reply with "Nt ji vay? day ko hieu?"

My viet isn't that great, so he's asking whether I understand though?

At this point i'm not sure it's someone I know. They're not using any english with me, which all my Viet acquaintences know of my lack of aptitude with the language. The number I'm receiving it from is also non US i think:
    8-493-626-****

I might be typing the number wrong as well. I checked an international phone number site and Vietnam's digits are "84".

I've never been to Vietnam, so this is making this even stranger.

Is this an international number?
    "Nt ji vay? day ko hieu?" what [do you] say ? I don't understand.

j is a shorthand used in text message.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother replying to text message like that. You can dial 00 for international operator and ask about this number.

I'm told that your business is in bad luck. may be it's because of me, right? Excuse me ! Don't think of me as a friend from now on