Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
compare and contrast about english and vietnamese - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: compare and contrast about english and vietnamese

[QUOTE=MANH NGUYEN;23941

The last and the most are adverbs (by Paddy) that modify important (adj.), an attribute of a noun (as it is supposed to be.) But I can't find a noun here. It is missing, in another word!!!
    So the point of correcting this sentence is to add a noun right after the adjective "important." It will function as a subject of "is."

No hard time, we just help each other learn. At the meantime, we don't change the original statement at all.[/QUOTE]

wow, you see my point now. Remember my first post? I argued with someone that there is no need to omitt the article "the".

Second one, I did think of a missing noun to correct that sentence and then be confused of seeing no root to find an accurate noun from the original sentence.
    If You
    * Love Manga & Anime
    * Want to learn English

I would be very Pleasant to have you visit my blog at:
    http://vn.myblog.yahoo.com/wild-4ever
    or
    http://wild4ever.tk/

Let's be friend and help each other learn

-The last and the most important is pronunciation
    -The last and the most importance is pronounciation.
    -Last and most importance/important is pronounciation.

In my opinion, all of them are incorrect. Because:
    - The 1st sentence has no Subject. The last and the most important cannot be Subject because it is a phrase adj. ( in this case, last is an adv)
    - The 2nd one: the last + noun is ok because last can be used as an adj, but the most + Noun = ? – I’ve never ever seen this structure.
    - The 3rd one: Last can live without the in some cases, but most cannot do it. , most has to have The before it, always.

So, I will rewrite this sentence in the following ways:
    -The last and the most important thing is pronounciation. (the last is an Adv, this is superlative adverb- the same to the most )
    -The last, and it is also the most important thing, is pronounciation. (Last is a Noun)
    -The last thing, and it is also the most important thing, is pronounciation. (Last is an Adj)
    Last edited by keyn; 11-26-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wild4ever View Post
    [B]
    Well, compare means to show the similarities and contrast means to show the differences. No need to write both phases.
    It's right.
    Last edited by keyn; 11-26-2009 at 01:00 PM.

English is structured quite differently from many other foreign language groups in terms of grammar, spelling and punctuation rules, dissertation writing even a simple, straight-forward opinion essay or composition can seem like a daunting task for many.