Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Let's have a try to translate..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's have a try to translate.....

Here's my effort.

Hanoi is a place with a thousand years of recorded history. Its well-known 'thirty-six streets', of which Hang Bac street is a typical example, are still lively and colourful.

I understand 'ghi dầu' to mean 'written down', and I think this is the point of the first sentence - written history means civilisation. Many places have thousands of years of history, but it is the writing down of that history which separates civilised people from 'barbarians'.

However, the special nature of this historic region is being threatened by indiscriminate development.

'xô bồ' I translate here as 'indiscriminate', meaning 'without care, chaotic, unrestrained'.

You may notice that my translations leave out a few words from the original. That's because English is rather intolerant of redundancy; good style in Enlgish usually means trying to say things in a succinct yet clear manner. So that's what I've aimed for.
    Last edited by rukkhamula; 06-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Default Question!

Quote Originally Posted by dethuong_x0x View Post
    My try:
    1. Ha Noi is a remarkable place with its thousands year history.
    I think your opinion of this sentence is not true.

I like rukkhamula's sentence:
    "Hanoi is a place with a thousand years of recorded history".
    I still have a question about the possessive case:
    - its thousands year history (dethuong_x0x )
    - Its well-known 'thirty-six streets' (rukkhamula)
    Is it true? Because we only use the form noun's + noun for people or animal.

Quote Originally Posted by rukkhamula View Post
    Here's my effort.

Hanoi is a place with a thousand years of recorded history. Its well-known 'thirty-six streets', of which(or where?) Hang Bac street is a typical example, are still lively and colourful.

I understand 'ghi dầu' to mean 'written down', and I think this is the point of the first sentence - written history means civilisation. Many places have thousands of years of history, but it is the writing down of that history which separates civilised people from 'barbarians'.

However, the special nature of this historic region is being threated(or threatened?) by indiscriminate development.

'xô bồ' I translate here as 'indiscriminate', meaning 'without care, chaotic, unrestrained'.

You may notice that my translations leave out a few words from the original. That's because English is rather intolerant of redundancy; good style in Enlgish usually means trying to say things in a succinct yet clear manner. So that's what I've aimed for.
    Your translation are very good but I don't understand where I mark with Green color.
    Notice that in Vietnamese "xô bồ" exactly means "disorder", "rambling"
    And I think:
    Khung cảnh đặc biệt = special images
    cảnh quang, khung cảnh = sight
    Last edited by english-learner; 06-15-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dethuong_x0x View Post
    Hề hề cảm ơn bác .
    Vậy nên thay landscape bằng từ gì nhỉ?
    Có thể bằng sight hay images theo ý kẻ này.

Quote Originally Posted by stbk2006 View Post
    I think your opinion of this sentence is not true.

I like rukkhamula's sentence:
    "Hanoi is a place with a thousand years of recorded history".
    I still have a question about the possessive case:
    - its thousands year history (dethuong_x0x )
    - Its well-known 'thirty-six streets' (rukkhamula)
    Is it true? Because we only use the form noun's + noun for people or animal.
    You misunderstand him:
    Its well-know 'thirty-six year streets' = Its well-know "thirty-six year street"
    The first is American English style, the second is British English

Oops, 'is being threated' was a typing error, it should of course be 'is being threatened'. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, english learner. I have changed it in the original post.

But 'of which' is correct, not 'where'.

On another point raised here, 'thousand-year history' is the correct form, if one wants to express it that way. It is a compound adjective and requires a hyphen. It is an alternative to 'a thousand years of history'.
    Last edited by rukkhamula; 06-15-2009 at 06:20 PM.