Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
English is crazy - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: English is crazy

It is we English that are crazy not the language! :-)
    As an English speaker I find it easy but many of my compatriates speak the language badly because they dont know any better. However, if it is purity you seek, then try Latin or Esperanto! You'll know that you truly understand English when you understand Roger's Profanasaurus!

I agree with you. Tricky42. English learners get crazy because of crazy explaination.

I know some Vietnamese teachers, who terrified their learners with clauses and quotations, which are used once in a lifetime. which is never longer than 100 years, which is a century. Heeeeeheheheheheh.

Talking Practical English

The most important thing in any language is to be understood. If you know the most popular 3,000 words in English you will be able to speak the language reasonably well. A lot of effort is required in respect of the spelling which is not phonetic. There are also too many irregular verbs. Only English seem to construct bizarre possessive constructs such as "My Mother's Sister's son's house"

Once you have mastered these 'basics' I suggest you come to Liverpool and try and understand the locals because the accent is so strong. I think even Paddy, ChickenDog and Mahn would struggle!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky42 View Post
    The most important thing in any language is to be understood. If you know the most popular 3,000 words in English you will be able to speak the language reasonably well. A lot of effort is required in respect of the spelling which is not phonetic. There are also too many irregular verbs. Only English seem to construct bizarre possessive constructs such as "My Mother's Sister's son's house"

Once you have mastered these 'basics' I suggest you come to Liverpool and try and understand the locals because the accent is so strong. I think even Paddy, ChickenDog and Mahn would struggle!
    Tricky42,

Yes, you are right. We all need to listen to BBC and to watch English channels on TV. daily before coming to Liverpool.

OK and just for fun here's a joke and an English lesson!

The English professor's wife came home early one day to find her husband In flagrante delicto with the maid.

"My goodness Henry", she declared, "I am surprised at you, you should be ashamed of yourself"

To which, he replied without hestiation, "No my dear, You are shocked and I am surprised"

very nice joke

Is your accent as thick as those from Scotland or Ireland ? I don't have problem understanding people from those two regions.

OK and just for fun here's a joke and an English lesson!

The English professor's wife came home early one day to find her husband In flagrante delicto with the maid.

"My goodness Henry", she declared, "I am surprised at you, you should be ashamed of yourself"

To which, he replied without hestiation, "No my dear, You are shocked and I am surprised"

Excuse me! I can't understand this joke (although I'm not a blond ) Can you give me some hints, plz?
    Last edited by Phong Lan; 05-07-2009 at 01:35 PM.

In reply to Paddy. No, my accent is educated London. I live in Liverpool. I blame my ex-wife So I speak with long vowels and gentle consonants. The opposite is true in Liverpool!

To answer Phong. Imagine the scene. The professor is caught with the maid. His wife make a grammatical error when expressing her displeasure. All he can think to do is to correct her grammar when most guys would be pulling their pants up and making many excuses! You also receive a small lesson in the difference between being shocked or being surprised! haha
    Last edited by Tricky42; 05-07-2009 at 04:17 PM.