Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Where We Live and Work - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where We Live and Work

Quote Originally Posted by sang56 View Post
    Your English has improved significantly. The grammar is mostly correct (mistakes are marked red above), which is the important thing. While the expression is still somewhat awkward here and there, it will get better with time.

Several days ago, a big warm air current from the south suddenly moved up, covering and warming up the whole area where we live. It also signaled that spring would arrive soon.

It's almost midnight now, and I'm sitting by the window sill, looking out onto the street. People are no longer rushing by in their cars; in their place a peaceful stillness fills the air. I rather miss my homeland.

The moon is bright tonight, lighting up the big old tree in front of the house, whose new young buds can be seen emerging full of life.
    Thank you very much , Sir !!!
    But I still don't understand why the blue words which were used in 2 different tenses .
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dethuong_x0x View Post
    Thank you very much , Sir !!!
    But I still don't understand why the blue words which were used in 2 different tenses .
    Several days ago, a big warm air current from the south suddenly moved up, covering and warming up the whole area where we live. It also signaled that spring would arrive soon.

Đây là một cách viết (nói) để thay đổi cách hành văn, đọc đở nhàm.

The air current moved up, covered and warmed up the whole area
    = The air current moved up, covering and warming up the whole area.

Câu trước là cách viết thông thường. Ba động từ (gạch đít) chia cùng thì (past tense)

Trong câu sau, sau động từ được chia thì và sau dấu phẩy, có thể dùng verb-ing (cho chủ động) hay verb-ed (cho thụ động) không phải chia thì.

TD: She looks at me, extending her hand = She looks at me and extends her hand.
    She looked at me, extending her hand = She looked at me and extended her hand.

She looks at me, saddened = She looks at me and is saddened.
    She looked at me, saddened = She looked and me and was saddened

dethuongx0x
    câu "1 chữ là thầy nửa chữ cũng là thầy" là ý của câu "Nhất tự vi sự bán tự vi sư" (xin bác nào chỉnh sữa giùm nếu câu bị sai)
    Thất bại lớn nhất của đời người là tự đại
    Đáng thương nhất của đời người là tự ti.
    Tự đại + Tự ti = thất bại đáng thương nhất

Quote Originally Posted by LtDra View Post
    dethuongx0x
    câu "1 chữ là thầy nửa chữ cũng là thầy" là ý của câu "Nhất tự vi sự bán tự vi sư" (xin bác nào chỉnh sữa giùm nếu câu bị sai)
    Hì Hì ! cảm ơn đã sửa giúp tớ . Tại lúc đó đầu tớ ko nghĩ ra câu gốc.
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!

Default In the Night

Trong Đêm

Across the small, white clothed table her lovely face was radiant in the dim light, gently graced with a hint of smile. The constant conversation noise of the energetic patrons in this crowded, upscale Mid-Eastern restaurant on a Saturday night seemed to have somehow receded into the background. Outside the large glass window, the traffic below was still going full force even though it was almost midnight. Beyond the large, shadowy trees lining the street was a wide, open space stretching into darkness. It was probably one of the well known parks in London, for I was not sure where we were exactly.

Bên kia chiếc bàn nhỏ trải khăn trắng, gương mặt dễ thương của nàng rạng rỡ dưới ánh đèn mờ, dịu dàng phảng phất nụ cười. Tiếng nói chuyện ồn ào liên tục của những khách hàng hăm hở trong tiệm ăn Trung-Đông hạng sang đông đúc vào đêm thứ bảy không biết sao đã chìm vào hậu cảnh. Bên ngoài cái cửa sổ to bằng kính, xe cộ bên dưới vẫn đông nghẹt mặc dù đã gần nửa đêm. Phía sau của những cây to mờ ảo ven đường là một khoảng trống rộng chìm vào đêm tối. Chắc đó là một trong những công viên danh tiếng của thành phố Luân Đôn, bởi vì tôi không biết rõ là mình đang ở đâu.

Of Egyptian ancestry, tonight she was the face of thousands of years of history in that ancient land with its mysterious pharaohs, towering pyramids, vast deserts and a complex people. Trim and well proportioned in a small frame, she wore a lightly colored blouse with close-fitting blue jean, a string of white pearls dangling in a stylish pattern from her slender neck. Having met each other only a few times in professional setting, somehow I felt very close to her as if being pulled by an ancient bond. Or maybe it was the magic of the night? I wondered if she felt similarly for willing to take time from her busy schedule to be with me so late in the evening. (I learn later that she suffers from insomnia, which may explain part of it, at least the “late” part!)

Gốc người Ai-Cập, đêm nay nàng là gương mặt của hàng ngàn năm lịch sử từ miền đất cổ đó với những ông vua huyền bí, những kim tự tháp cao vòi vọi, những sa mạc mênh mông, và một giống dân phức tạp. Dáng người nhỏ nhắn, thon thẻ và rất cân đối, nàng mặc một chiếc áo nhạt màu và quần jean bó màu xanh, trên chiếc cổ thon đeo lủng lẳng một chuổi hạt trai kết thành hình rất nhã. Mới gặp nhau chỉ vài lần trong hoàn cảnh nghề nghiệp, không hiểu sao tôi cảm thấy rất gần gủi với nàng, như thể bị lôi kéo bởi một sợi dây ràng buộc xa xưa. Hay có lẽ là do sự huyền hoặc của đêm? Tôi thắc mắc không biết nàng cũng cảm thấy như thế vì đã chịu bỏ thời giờ đi chơi thật khuya với tôi mặc dù nàng rất bận. (Về sau tôi biết được là nàng bị bệnh mất ngủ, thành ra cũng giải thích được phần nào sự thắc mắc này, ít nhất là phần đi đêm!)

On the way back to my hotel, she drove through the Arab quarter. It was already one o’clock in the morning, yet many people were still sitting outside eating, drinking, and smoking their shisha. A few small grocery stores with their fruit stands in front remained fully lighted and wide open for business. In this modern European capital with her next to me driving through the slightly darkened streets lined up with people of an ancient race going about their business, with my still lingering jet lag from a trip to Asia last week, the late hours of the night heightened the surreal feeling. It’s strange how different cultures could cohabit, and seemingly divergent lives could for a moment intersect across the vast space and time.

Trên đường về khách sạn nơi tôi ở, nàng lái xe qua khu Ả-Rập. Đã một giờ sáng rồi mà nhiều người vẫn còn ngồi ngoài đường ăn uống và hút thuốc “lào”. Một vài tiệm chạp phô nhỏ với sạp bày trái cây bên ngoài vẫn còn mở cửa sáng choang mời khách. Trong cái thủ đô Âu-Châu văn minh này, với nàng ngồi cạnh tôi lái qua những con đường mờ mờ tối đầy người thuộc giống dân cổ qua lại làm ăn, với cái jet lag* chưa hết hẳn từ chuyến đi Á-Châu tuần rồi, giờ giấc canh khuya càng làm tăng thêm một cảm giác mơ hồ không thật. Cũng lạ là sao những nền văn hóa khác biệt lại có thể sống chung đụng với nhau, và những cuộc đời dường như khác hướng lại có thể trong một phút giây giao nhau giữa không gian và thời gian bát ngát này.

Note:
    * “Jet lag” là sự mệt mỏi xảy ra sau một chuyến bay dài xuyên qua nhiều vĩ tuyến theo hướng từ đông sang tây hoặc từ tây sang đông. Sự xáo trộn này xảy ra đối với đồng hồ sinh học của cơ thể và mức độ hồi phục là khoảng một ngày với hành trình đông-tây và khỏang một ngày rưỡi với hành trình tây-đông. (http://www.chudu24.com/tin-du-lich/k...lag-la-gi.html)
    Last edited by sang56; 05-21-2011 at 10:34 PM.

your english is cool

Default Journey to Unknown Destination

Hành Trình Vô Định

This morning, amid heavy traffic and in the early spring breeze, an old woman was walking slowly down the sidewalk, her loose clothes flapping about in the wind. She was rather thin and somewhat bent with age. She was looking straight ahead, either oblivious to all the cars rushing by or just so used to the traffic that to her it was part of the background landscape. Right behind was her son, much taller and younger looking, in dark glasses, walking hesitantly with his long stick moving about, feeling the way in front of him. He must have heard his mother's footsteps among the roar of traffic, to be able to follow her and stay on the sidewalk.

Sáng hôm nay, giữa tiếng xe cộ xe cộ tấp nập và trong làn gió nhẹ đầu xuân, một bà lão đi chậm chạp trên lề, quần áo rộng phùng phình phất phơ theo gió. Bà ta trông gầy ốm và lưng hơi cong với tuổi đời chồng chất. Bà đi nhìn thẳng về phía trước, hoặc là không màng đến những xe cộ vụt ngang hay đã quá quen thuộc với cảnh xe cộ đông đúc nên đối với bà đó chỉ là hậu cảnh. Đi sát đàng sau là người con trai của bà, cao hơn nhiều và trông trẻ hơn, mắt đeo kiếng đen, ngập ngừng trong bước đi, tay cầm cây gậy dài quờ quạng để dò đường phía trước. Mặc dù bị át bởi tiếng xe cộ ồn ào, chắc anh ta nghe được tiếng chân của người mẹ phía trước nên mới có thể theo bà đi trên lề đường.

Above, the sky was blue and full of sunshine. It was a very nice spring day. The forsythias had just started to bloom, dotting their gray, swaying branches with bright, yellow flowers. The air was fresh and cool. In that morning wind, the old woman and her son continued to move forward, one in front of the other, one short one tall, one old one young, one seeing and one blind, journeying to some unknown destination.

Trời hôm nay mây xanh và nắng chứa chan. Một ngày mùa xuân thật êm đềm. Những cây đầu mùa vừa mới hé nụ, tô điểm các cành cây xám đong đưa với những đóa hoa vàng rực rỡ. Không khí trong lành và dịu mát. Trong làn gió nhẹ ban mai, bà lão và đứa con trai tiếp tục bước đi, người trước kẻ sau, người cao kẻ thấp, kẻ già người trẻ, người sáng người mù, cả hai trong cuộc hành trình đến một nơi nào bất định.

There was a feeling of gentle sadness. We are all making our own journeys in life, forever moving forward to some unspecified destination. Ignorant of where we came from and not knowing where we are heading to, we chase one desire after another, believe violently in imagined things, blind to the true nature of this world, of existence. Our lots are no different from that of the blind young man following his aging mother on the sidewalk, amongst the rustle and bustle of modern civilization.

Một niềm ngậm ngùi nhè nhẹ dâng lên. Mỗi người chúng ta đều đang mang theo một chuyến đi trong đời, đi mãi không ngừng đến một nơi nào vô định. Không biết mình đã từ đâu đến và sẽ đi về đâu, chúng ta theo đuổi hết mong muốn này đến ao ước khác, mãnh liệt tin vào những hư ảo, mù lòa với thực chất của thế giới này, của sự hiện hữu. Số phận chúng ta có khác gì hoàn cảnh của người đàn ông trẻ đui mù, lủi thủi theo bà mẹ già trên lề đường giữa chốn ồn ào vội vã của xã hội văn minh.