Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
"French fried" and "Potato chips", dịch sao cho ổn? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "French fried" and "Potato chips", dịch sao cho ổn?

Pháp = Tây --> Khoai Tây chiên hay Khoai chiên Pháp khác nhau chỗ nào?
    khoai tay = potatos, khac voi khoai lang (sweet potato) And chu "tay" khong co nghia la "French" ma the "West."

And btw, moi nguoi o day khong ai la chuyen gia ca, neu ma co dich "ngay ngo" thi cung khong sao het. Cai quan trong la co y kien la duoc roi. That's what people come here for. It is good that you share your opinion.
    Last edited by chickendog; 02-04-2009 at 12:56 PM.
    To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.
    -Abraham Maslow

HiHucCaoGio

Quote Originally Posted by htp View Post
    Tiện thể, HiHucCaoGio gọi coleslaw là gì? món này Mỹ, Úc đều có cả. thanks
    NGUYEN MANH did a good job. I do agree with him.

coleslaw => Sà lách bắp cải

HiHucCaoGio

Quote Originally Posted by chickendog View Post
    khoai tay = potatos, khac voi khoai lang (sweet potato) And chu "tay" khong co nghia la "French" ma the "West."
    You are entitle to your opinion. Tây can be West or French, depends on the writer, or for that matter, the reader inclination. But mostly depends on context.

And btw, moi nguoi o day khong ai la chuyen gia ca, neu ma co dich "ngay ngo" thi cung khong sao het. Cai quan trong la co y kien la duoc roi. That's what people come here for. It is good that you share your opinion.
    Again, you can have your view points, and I respect that. However, please do not evaluate everyone else who comes along with the same brush stroke and what is important or not. I'm not "chuyen gia", but how do you know for sure there is no one else in here? Also, what people come here for?!
    Last edited by HiHucCaoGio; 02-04-2009 at 05:04 PM.

htp

Default French fries, Potato chips, coleslaw and a piece of Kentucky fried chicken...

Xin cám ơn tất cả đã đóng góp ý kiến về mấy món tôi hỏi, chỉ cần một miếng gà chiên hay cá chiên nữa là đủ bộ (tuy không "healthy" lắm!) Bạn nào đang bận rộn dịch bài, nên tạm ngừng tay chạy ra McDonald gần nhà mua một phần ăn cho đỡ đói rồi lại dịch tiếp. Cheers

HiHuc,
    Quote Originally Posted by HiHucCaoGio View Post
    You are entitle to your opinion. Tây can be West or French, depends on the writer, or for that matter, the reader inclination. But mostly depends on context.
    HiHuc,

It was not my opinion. What i said based on facts. Potato first grown in South America not France and the Spanish were the first Westerners cultivated the potato. However, the French first brought potatoes to Vietnam.

And back then, most Vietnamse people thought of the French as the West because they had no very limited knowledge & contact with other western countries.
    That explains why they called the French as "Tay" which mean "the Westerners" and anything associated with them get the "Tay" treatment.

However, that usage for the word "Tay" has been long out of date and it is incorrect to use it that way. Vietnamese now people no longer call the French "Tay" like before. Now if someone says a car made in France "xe hoi cua Tay," i am sure the other people would laugh the hell out of them. And if I try tell Americans or any other westerners potatoes are "French potatoes", a good chance that i'll get all the Vietnamese deported out of their countries.

Again, you can have your view points, and I respect that. However, please do not evaluate everyone else who comes along with the same brush stroke and what is important or not. I'm not "chuyen gia", but how do you know for sure there is no one else in here? Also, what people come here for?!
    What i am saying is we should watch our comments so that they encourage people to contribute.
    If that matters, I am speaking on what I have seen. So far I haven’t seen anyone who is "the pro” or "the linguist" came in here and englightened us. Most people come in here are students and people who wish to learn/improve thier English or Vietnamese and those who need help with translation. We "non-pro" have been helping each other here, and honestly i am eager to see input from the pros here.

(Sorry if i have offended someone here, maybe i haven't seen your best yet)
    Last edited by chickendog; 02-06-2009 at 12:55 PM.
    To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.
    -Abraham Maslow

HiHucCaoGio

HiHuc,

HiHuc,

It was not my opinion. What i said based on facts. Potato first grown in South America not France and the Spanish were the first Westerners cultivated the potato. However, the French first brought potatoes to Vietnam.

And back then, most Vietnamse people thought of the French as the West because they had no very limited knowledge & contact with other western countries.
    That explains why they called the French as "Tay" which mean "the Westerners" and anything associated with them get the "Tay" treatment.

However, that usage for the word "Tay" has been long out of date and it is incorrect to use it that way. Vietnamese now people no longer call the French "Tay" like before. Now if someone says a car made from France as "xe hoi cua Tay," i am sure the other people would laugh the hell out of them. And if I try tell Americans or any other westerners potatoes are "French potatoes", a good chance that i'll get all the Vietnamese deported out of their countries.

What i am saying is we should watch our comments so that they encourage people to contribute.
    If that matters, I am speaking on what I have seen. So far I haven’t seen anyone who is "the pro” or "the linguist" came in here and englightened us. Most people come in here are students and people who wish to learn/improve thier English or Vietnamese and those who need help with translation. We "non-pro" have been helping each other here, and honestly i am eager to see input from the pros here.

(Sorry if i have offended someone here, maybe i haven't seen your best yet)

"CHICKENDOG"

I can't help but ROLF after reading your response. However, upon further reading your various posts in this forum, I've decided to refrain from making any comment on your posts from now on. HAHAHA

[unkind words suppressed]

French Fried = Khoai Tây Chiên
    Potato Chips = khoai tây sắt miếng ăn liền

By the way, we do have several experts here in Vdict, but they are just lurking, and some of them just rarely make comments.
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by HiHucCaoGio View Post
    "CHICKENDOG"

I can't help but ROLF after reading your response. However, upon further reading your various posts in this forum, I've decided to refrain from making any comment on your posts from now on. HAHAHA

[unkind words suppressed]

Don't deny me a chance to l earn. Do speak out please!
    -Abraham Maslow

French-fried potatoes (or less formal French fries) = khoai tay chien kieu Phap

Potato chips - may cai nay van duoc chien hay nuong roi bo vao bich. tam dich theo kieu binh dan "khoai tay trong bich" cung duoc - hay la dung ten goi thuong cua hang chang han nhu "khoai chien Lays" hay "khoai Cheestos"

Con ai ma van khong hieu thi mua cho ho an mot lan 8)
    Bác dịch đúng nghĩa tiếng Anh, nhưng không gần nghĩa tiếng Việt.

French fries là khoai chiên [theo] kiểu Pháp như bác nói trong nghĩa tiếng Anh, nhưng dịch qua tiếng Việt thì khoai tây chiên là đúng nghĩa và nhiều người biết đến (chẳng hạn như món thịt bò xào với khoai tây chiên). Chính vì chữ French (kiểu Pháp) mà dân Mỹ đổi qua dùng chữ freedom fries hoặc freedom roast (french roast coffee) để phản đối việc Pháp không tham chiến vùng vịnh.

Còn vấn đề chữ chip thì dân Úc, Anh dùng để chỉ french fries luôn. Hoặc muốn nói rõ hơn thì potato chips là họ hiểu mình muốn french fries. Dân trong thành phố lớn tại Úc có nhiều McDonald's nên họ hiểu chữ french fries, chứ mấy vùng làng quê Úc bác mà hỏi french fries hoặc ketchup thì họ cứ trố mắt ra nhìn vì không hiểu

Dân Mỹ cũng dùng chữ chip để chỉ khoai tây chiên, chẳng hạn như bác vô mấy tiệm fish&chip thì dùng chữ chip là họ biết mình muốn gì liền. Tuy nhiên mấy tiệm bán burger thì chữ french fries hoặc fries thấy được dùng nhiều hơn.

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    Sà lách bắp cải (với mayonne hoặc mayonnaise)
    Bác còn thiếu cà rốt nữa.