Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
dich ten 4 chu

Thread: dich ten 4 chu

Default dich ten 4 chu

Ten 4 chu vd nhu la` Nguyen A B Khoa thi` khi dich sang tieng Anh, dich kieu na`o moi du'ng:

1) Khoa (first name), A B (middle name), Nguyen (last name)
    2) Khoa (first name), B A (middle name), Nguyen (last name)

Hay la` ca 2 ca'ch deu du'ng het tuy` theo mi`nh cho.n ca'ch nao`...

Xin tra loi giu`m! Thanks nhieu!

1) Khoa (first name), A B (middle name), Nguyen (last name)
    2) Khoa (first name), B A (middle name), Nguyen (last name)

As an example, the name is Nguyen[Family or Last name] Cao Ky Duyen[First or Given name] then it should be:

1) Nguyen, C. K. Duyen or Duyen C. K. Nguyen
    not
    2) Nguyen, K. C. Duyen or Duyen K. C. Nguyen

but if you want to use #2, then it's your prerogative.

gl

my name on US passport has been Khoa B A Nguyen (method #2), but the original birth certificate is Nguyen A B Khoa (in Vietnamese of course). Will this appear to be an inconsistence and even worse, to the extent of being illegal on official documents? Or is it simply up to me to translate my name whichever way I want? Is there ONLY one universally acceptable way of translation the name?

I actually didn't intend to put my name like that on the passport, but when I'm naturalized to become citizen, the immigration officer took this translation ( Khoa B A Nguyen) from the birth certificate that they had on file. I wish I had known better and said something to them back then....now, it's kinda too late to make any changes....
    Last edited by dark_lord; 09-04-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_lord View Post
    my name on US passport has been Khoa B A Nguyen (method #2), but the original birth certificate is Nguyen A B Khoa (in Vietnamese of course). Will this appear to be an inconsistence and even worse, to the extent of being illegal on official documents? Or is it simply up to me to translate my name whichever way I want? Is there ONLY one universally acceptable way of translation the name?

I actually didn't intend to put my name like that on the passport, but when I'm naturalized to become citizen, the immigration officer took this translation ( Khoa B A Nguyen) from the birth certificate that they had on file. I wish I had known better and said something to them back then....now, it's kinda too late to make any changes....
    The bottom line is:

Is your name written the same on all of your papers, i. e. Naturalization cert, driver license, passport, bank account etc. then that is the way.

As far as ligality is concern, documents issued by the US gov't should be your Legal/Official . But if you want your full name reinstate, you should consult a lawyer.

thanks! My Naturalization Certificate and passport say the same thing...I'm thinking to change the name on my SS card to be consistent. My DL only has Khoa Nguyen and so does my bank account as I rarely ever use my middle name.

What about filing paperwork to bring my relatives to the US? Should I also be consistent with my way of translation, even for the names of my relatives? Like my younger brother would be, Khoi D C Nguyen vs. what appears on his Vietnamese birth certificate, Nguyen C D Khoi?

Like I said, my ultimate question is if there's a universally acceptable way of translation, anything goes different that that would be considered wrong/incorrect/need-to-be-fixed? Or if there're multiple ways depending on how we like to have our names written?