Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Understanding Vietnamese names

Thread: Understanding Vietnamese names

Default Understanding Vietnamese names

Alright fellas, I know that Vietnamese are called by their given name, which is the last. ie, Nguyen Minh Triet will be known as Mr Triet? Ah Triet? Or simply Triet?

So what is the significance of the first name and middle name? Can I consider the first name (Nguyen) as the surname?

Quote Originally Posted by ttw View Post
    Alright fellas, I know that Vietnamese are called by their given name, which is the last. ie, Nguyen Minh Triet will be known as Mr Triet? Ah Triet? Or simply Triet?

So what is the significance of the first name and middle name? Can I consider the first name (Nguyen) as the surname?
    The correct order of vietnamese names is that we write the last name first, the first name last. So with this name like Nguyen Minh Triet: Nguyen is his last name, Triet is his first name. In english this name will be rewritten as "Triet Nguyen Minh" or "Triet Nguyen".

Quote Originally Posted by unnamed View Post
    The correct order of vietnamese names is that we write the last name first, the first name last. So with this name like Nguyen Minh Triet: Nguyen is his last name, Triet is his first name. In english this name will be rewritten as "Triet Nguyen Minh" or "Triet Nguyen".
    or Triet Minh Nguyen, Minh being the middle name

And in English: Last, first middle (or middle )

Nguyen, Triet Minh or Nguyen, Triet M.

don't forget the comma after last name if it goes fisrt in writing.
    Thất bại lớn nhất của đời người là tự đại
    Đáng thương nhất của đời người là tự ti.
    Tự đại + Tự ti = thất bại đáng thương nhất

It depend on how close you are to Mr. Triet.

If you are his close friend, Triet is fine.

If Triet is your future in-law, your boss, Mr. Triet is better.

If Triet is dating your older sister, anh Triet is more appropriate.

If you see him in a high level meeting and knowing he is fluent in English, address him as Mr. Nguyen (like English custom), unless he insists on being called Mr. Triet.

In some case Minh-Triet could be the whole first name. Girls are more common to be named this way. In case like this, either Triet or Minh-Triet, but never Minh (unless the person wants to be calles as such).

Nguyễn is a very common last name(surname/family name). However, I have two friends, one with first name Nguyên and one with Nguyễn .

For middle name, don't use it to address anyone.

So for most cases, the middle holds no meaning to it? Then why was it included? Unlike the Chinese, each character (usually three, like Vietnamese names) holds a meaning to it.

So for most cases, the middle holds no meaning to it? Then why was it included? Unlike the Chinese, each character (usually three, like Vietnamese names) holds a meaning to it.
    It does have meaning, but one does not use it to address its owner.

Middle name is used often, last name is rarely used (unless it is on legal paper work or you really want to yell at someone because you're pissed).... It is commonly used like this: "I'm [middle name][first name]" where as first and last are used in English.
    Internet Marketer
    web hosting|Free hosting cho 3 tháng <= cần phải liên lạc với mình thêm để biết thêm chi tiết vì mình sẽ trả cho 3 tháng này nếu bạn đăng ký theo sự hướng dẫn của mình | host reseller|vietnamese translation

vietnamese translation service|vietnamese translator|vietnamese translation| vietnamese interpreter

bai viết hay..thank mấy bạn nhiều
    P/s:Sao mình không xem được vtv4 onlinevtc16 online trên windows phone nhỉ.