Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Customs

Thread: Customs

Default Customs

I recently attended a younger friend's engagement party. She is Vietnamese, and I am American. I had been her tutor in college and we remained friends. I have also helped her mother with a business problem.

As I was thanking her mother for the invitation and complimenting her on the wonderful party, she began to rub my back. I was not sure what to think of this because I thought it was more customary that Vietnamese men and women do not touch in public. Maybe it is just a nervous habit? Or maybe she was showing affection? Maybe it means nothing?
    Last edited by SteveC; 07-03-2011 at 11:41 PM.

Default Well..

I assume it was just a sign of appreciation.

I'm an Australian-born Viet so I don't have a huge knowledge in Vietnamese culture, but what I do notice is that whenever guests, family friends or relatives thank or compliment my mum, she whacks/pats/rubs their backs and finishes it with a loud laugh.

Default Thank you!

I appreciate your comment. She is such a modest woman. It took me a bit off-guard, and I did not know what to make of it