Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Unheard cry

Thread: Unheard cry

Default Unheard cry

Unheard cry!
    How can you help Vietnamese children speak English right? English pronunciation itself has been ignored or was carelessly taught by "tam sao thất bổn" so-called teachers teaching English to them for so many years in VietNam!!!
    Thanks for time and answers if possible.

"Tiếng Anh như gió, tiếng có tiếng không" MN.

You are so right em, as a lover of Vietnam I am constantly meeting bright students who study so hard and even achieve very high grades in english language,however they have very bad habits in speaking because they learn from teachers who learned from other Vietnamese teachers.
    The classroom is too removed from the street and native english speakers.

I feel that western TV shows can be a good resource to practice the spoken word, viet and english subtitles on movies and topical programs would ensure that young children learned correct pronunciation as they would not get the bad habits that native viet speakers pick up as older students.

My eldest daughter (who is Native english speaker) learned to read from sub titled programs on SBS TV in Australia.

A spoken english cadre to spend 3 or 4 hours a week in schools would be an efficient way to lift viet proficiency in English.ciao for now J

Default Mahn's problem

Hi again Manh,

further to your enquiry,it would be good economics and good politics to create a school program in spoken english using topical and entertaining themes and dramas in video and theatre,I have no real experience in this so I am surmising here,is that a good direction?If you are involved in education I suggest you get a think-tank operating with your profession.

J

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    Unheard cry!
    How can you help Vietnamese children speak English right? English pronunciation itself has been ignored or was carelessly taught by "tam sao thất bổn" so-called teachers teaching English to them for so many years in VietNam!!!
    Thanks for time and answers if possible.

"Tiếng Anh như gió, tiếng có tiếng không" MN.
    To me the best help for kids in Vietnam is TV. I've seen some TV programs in Vietnam like cartoons and kid's movies, they are the best source for correct pronunciation. No, I don't mean those programs from VTV4, the speaker still has heavy accent. I mean those foreign channels offered on cable TV (dây cáp).

I've seen kids as young as 2 years old picking up English words without knowing the meaning by simply watching daily cartoon on TV.

Beside the pronunciation, kids can learn about informal way of speaking (American) English. You don't hear people ask "How do you do?" in US but more like "Hey, what's up?"

English pronunciation is very hard to master, even for people who came to USA 10-20 years ago. Don't expect to have it done overnight.

Keep this in mind "dậy con từ thủa còn thơ". For English learners, young kids outperform the adults, especially in pronunciation.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Paddy; 10-19-2007 at 10:41 AM.