Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Singaporean trying to learn Vietnamese - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Singaporean trying to learn Vietnamese

Quote Originally Posted by spider_90 View Post
    Learning Vietnamese is likely learning foreign language, so it’s useful to use or listen Vietnamese as much as possible……… you chose a good way, watching films subbed Vietnamese, it showed that you have experimental in learning foreign language. .
    You can’t sit down, read from a Vietnamese-English dictionary and remember, since it’s boring, I can feel that :P.
    So why don’t you go out and make a friend with Vietnamese who is good at English. It’s not the best way ,but I think it is better than reading from a Vietnamese-English dictionary.
    Xin Chao Spidy!

I do have Vietnamese friends but they are mostly in Vietnam while I'm in Singapore... so, apart from the fact that i will be giving them too much trouble, i don't get to listen to the language! I guess for now, the best way for me to learn would be to watch either VN films w/ eng subs or Eng films with VN subs. Hopefully, the community here would be able to help direct me to sites where i can find such stuff!

Cam on nhieu!

I am sorry to disappoint you my friend, but the Vietnamese language is one of the most difficult to learn to speak.

Most people couldn't speak Vietnamese even if they attend proper class let alone watching movies and listening to songs.

I have known people (Singaporean, Malaysian, Chinese, asian) who worked in Vietnam for a decade and yet cannot pronounce Vietnam fluently.

Those whom I know who speaks better Vietnamese are those who married a Vietnamese and spent their everyday with their spouse and immersing their everyday life speaking Vietnamese

I'm a Singaporean working in Saigon for some times now and I only start to improve my Vietnamese when I get to know my girlfriend.

Cai gi cung khong biet noi chi biet noi bay thoi! <- that's what my girlfriend always said to her friends.

Default Iam teaching vietnamese language

I come from Vietnam
    Now, iam living in Singapore
    I have been teaching vietnamese for many Singaporeans and Malaysian, also bussinessman
    So, if you are interested in learning vietnamese, contact me: +6584160937\
    or email: tranphuongly2009@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by eagerbeagle View Post

Cai gi cung khong biet noi chi biet noi bay thoi!
    Haha
    I don't know how you guy understand about this sentence but I really want to explain it . And i have to say that my English level is BAD, so "Enjoin"

There are two way to understand this sentence: positive and negative
    1. positive: ( to be used by close friends, "good" friend ...) : It's simple to tell other how he is in the funny way about the knowlege of Vietnamese: He know nothing except " nói bậy". Examble of noi bay: "to talk bosh ", badly, obscene words...
    That is funny way of Vietnamese people with "bad words " in good mean.
    2.negative: simple as it's mean: He is such a bullshit guy who does not know anything but he can speak very good "Vietnamese bullshit words". (important notices: If their face show out the strange sence to listener then ...) . To be used by anyone.

Thanks for reading

there's a website that teaches basic Vietnamese phrases to get you started
    http://www.everydayviet.com
    lessons are in video format, with Southern Vietnamese accent,
    the videos can also be viewed on their YouTube channel

after that, if you want to go further, you can check out my Vietnamese language blog here
    http://seahorseviet.wordpress.com
    it's pretty comprehensive, though the downside is I haven't gotten to include audio / pronunciation yet

for Vietnamese/English dictionary, you can use http://www.vdict.com or http://www.vietdictionary.com
    they're both free, but Vdict has pronunciation for some Viet words

due to the increasing popularity of Vietnamese, I think they start to have some Viet language class / school in Singapore
    and there are many Vietnamese students in Singapore
    I don't know much further, but I'm sure you can find someone to teach you the language
    Free Vietnamese lessons - Study Now!
    http://seahorseviet.wordpress.com

Default Useful Resources to learn Vietnamese

Quote Originally Posted by my_SLK View Post
    Xin Chao Spidy!

I do have Vietnamese friends but they are mostly in Vietnam while I'm in Singapore... so, apart from the fact that i will be giving them too much trouble, i don't get to listen to the language! I guess for now, the best way for me to learn would be to watch either VN films w/ eng subs or Eng films with VN subs. Hopefully, the community here would be able to help direct me to sites where i can find such stuff!

Cam on nhieu!
    There are useful videos on YouTube.
    For lessons on Vietnamese, check out http://www.seasite.niu.edu/vietnames...eofcontent.htm. For a faster understanding of Vietnamese with videos/audios, check out http://yourvietnamese.com

Hi Edwin,

I think you can start with some Vietnamese songs for boosting up your inspirations. The most difficult thing in Vietnamese is pronunciation because we have a lots of sounds compares to other languages. But when you get use to that, the grammar is relative easy.

Good luck.

Default Start learning Vietnamese quickly with iVietnamese iPhone app

Hi,

Another simple way to learn Vietnamese is using iVietnamese - a iPhone application that provides quick learning method to help foreigner get known the language is the fastest way.

Detail can be found here.

I paste the detail description in English here for your reference:

Instant Vietnamese helps people who wants to have a quick start on understanding Vietnamese. This app provides quick introduction to Vietnamese's critical elements

1. The alphabets table with vowels and 3 kinds of consonants together with voices
    2. Tone system - full description of tone system together with examples and voices
    3. Spelling - how to pronoun a Vietnamese word
    4. Tenses - express phrases in past, present, future tenses
    5. Popular sentences - which can be very helpful when urgently needed
    5. Dialogues - different contexts (at the airport, catch a taxi, exchanging money, ask the way, amusement, sightseeing, date and time, greeting, shopping, at the restaurant, in the hotel and at the post office), in which context there are very useful sentences - that people tends to use - with voices
    Also, there are instruction into different part of Vietnamese base on each context and vocabularies that are useful for the context.

All the content are presented in the simplest way possible to help user get started with the language as fast as possible.

All vietnamese words, phrases are provided with voices recorded by the people working for television channels with standard Northern/Southern voices.

All phrases have been recorded with Northern/Southern voices and with normal/slow speeds.

Tap on any words/phrases to listen to the recorded sounds.

Full version contains all 12 dialogues with 160 sentences and 380 words.

Happy learning Vietnames.
    It's really good to know that there a lot of foreigners enjoy learning Vietnamese.

Chinh

Default Hii

Xin chào tất cả mọi người. MÌnh tên là cường. Năm nay mình 25 tuổi. Mình là người Việt Nam. Mình đang hoc tiếng Anh. Vì vậy mình muốn kết bạn với người nước ngoài. Chúng ta có thể học hỏi ngôn ngữ của nhau. Liên lạc với mình qua:
    - yahoo: raumavalasen2710@yahoo.com
    - gmail: raumavalasen2710@gmail.com
    Mong có nhiều bạn hồi âm