Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Sạo hay xấu

Thread: Sạo hay xấu

Default Sạo hay xấu

Up till now, I am still unable to pronounce these two correctly. Is there a method to help get them right?

thanks

they were pronoun very different each other
    sạo : tone down
    xấu: tone up

By Chinese, I assume your mother language is Mandarin. Therefore (as I am learning Mandarin incidentally) I will use pinyin to aid you.

Sạo
    The letter s though technically should be pronounced a bit like sh, nowadays is becoming more and more like x in Vietnamese (s in pinyin). The vowel cluster ao is not like Mandarin ao, the a is pronounced like in cat whereas the Mandarin a is like in father. in fact, ao sounds like the sound in cow. The nặng tone (in Southern vietnamese) is practically the same as Mandarin third tone (第三声). So overall, it is pronounced like Mandarin sǎo where the a is soft like in cat, not hard like in father.

Xấu
    Simply like pinyin sou and unlike 第二声, the sắc tone rises immediately, unlike in Mandarin where it dips slightly before rising.

Oh and I speak the Australian variety of English and Southern variety of Vietnamese so I understand my explanations may be a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by Qinshi View Post
    By Chinese, I assume your mother language is Mandarin. Therefore (as I am learning Mandarin incidentally) I will use pinyin to aid you.

Sạo
    The letter s though technically should be pronounced a bit like sh, nowadays is becoming more and more like x in Vietnamese (s in pinyin). The vowel cluster ao is not like Mandarin ao, the a is pronounced like in cat whereas the Mandarin a is like in father. in fact, ao sounds like the sound in cow. The nặng tone (in Southern vietnamese) is practically the same as Mandarin third tone (第三声). So overall, it is pronounced like Mandarin sǎo where the a is soft like in cat, not hard like in father.

Xấu
    Simply like pinyin sou and unlike 第二声, the sắc tone rises immediately, unlike in Mandarin where it dips slightly before rising.

Oh and I speak the Australian variety of English and Southern variety of Vietnamese so I understand my explanations may be a bit off.
    thanks for the detail explanation! English pronunciation with mandarin tone helps heaps! Mandarin is my mother tongue, and English is my first language and I also speak Hai Nan, Cantonese, and Fukien dialects! Sometimes it makes things easy and other times it creates more confusion