Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Words for cooking, making?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Words for cooking, making?

Default Words for cooking, making?

Hello,

Could you help me with different words for cooking, making.

Do you say "nau" banh xeo or "lam banh xeo?, " lam goi cuon" or "nau goi cuon"? "nao pho" ?Is "nao" only used for the items you cook, like "nau com"
    Is there a rule????
    And for tea, I found "pha tra" . Would that also be for cofee, juice and other fluid things?
    Cam on rat nhieu.

Quote Originally Posted by birgit Muusmann View Post
    Hello,

Could you help me with different words for cooking, making.

Do you say "nau" banh xeo or "lam banh xeo?, " lam goi cuon" or "nau goi cuon"? "nao pho" ?Is "nao" only used for the items you cook, like "nau com"
    Is there a rule????
    And for tea, I found "pha tra" . Would that also be for cofee, juice and other fluid things?
    Cam on rat nhieu.
    If you see how "banh xeo" or "goi cuon" or "com" or "pho" is made, you immediately know how to use those words.

"nau goi cuon" is wrong. because it's made by hand not use fire or oven.
    Làm gỏi cuốn is right, but better is "gói gỏi cuốn" __Leaves are used to wrap the product
    Similarly, "làm bánh xèo" is slightly right, the correct words are "đổ bánh xèo" because rice flour is mixed with water and stired then poured into a small pan
    Nấu cơm is right, because you have to use a pot and fire. (in modern time, electricity is used instead of fire)
    "nấu phở" is ambiguous, it can be right or wrong. The exact words is "nấu một nồi phở". Because you have to use a pot and fire., you have to put bánh phở, water, meat, cow-bone,...into a pot then make a fire.
    Pha trà, pha cà phê are correct words
    Other juices, "làm" is used.
    Ex: Tôi sẽ làm cho bạn một ly sinh tố
    HOwever, "làm một ly coctail" and "pha một ly coctail" are all right.

NOte: "làm bánh tét" = "gói bánh tét", "làm bánh chưng"= "gói bánh chưng",....(leaves are used to wrap the products)
    Also, "làm gỏi cuốn", "làm nem", "làm tré",...and "gói gỏi cuốn", "gói nem", "gói tré" are all right

Thank you very much. You explained this very clear, and I think, I got a rule.
    When making fx. Pho , I "nau" the bones, the meat etc., but I do not use "nau" banh pho , because this is noodles? Is it so, that everything with "banh" you do not "nau"??, but "lam" or "do" ?

And can I use " Toi nau com" gennerally as the main word not depending of if I steam, fry or grill a dish??????

Quote Originally Posted by birgit View Post
    Thank you very much. You explained this very clear, and I think, I got a rule.
    When making fx. Pho , I "nau" the bones, the meat etc., but I do not use "nau" banh pho , because this is noodles? Is it so, that everything with "banh" you do not "nau"??, but "lam" or "do" ?

And can I use " Toi nau com" gennerally as the main word not depending of if I steam, fry or grill a dish??????
    Tôi nấu cơm is used, tôi làm cơm is never said, but you can say "Tôi nấu cơm chiên" or "tôi làm cơm chiên" [cơm chiên = fried rice]. Cơm chiên is a dish that comes from cơm. Cơm is used to make cơm chiên.
    Tôi chiên cơm means cơm is fried by me

"làm cơm" is used, not often but yes.

When you say "bạn làm cơm cho cả nhà nhân dịp năm mới", it means that "you prepare a meal for your family on New Year"

So "làm cơm" means "the whole meal" not only "steam rice"

Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư
    ---
    1st Version:
    Anyone who teaches me one word - even half a word - is still my teacher.
    2nd Version:
    Even he who teaches me the smallest bit can still be called my teacher

Please correct my grammar as you see fit. Much appreciated!

Smile

Cam on rat nhieu!

Quote Originally Posted by english-learner View Post
    If you see how "banh xeo" or "goi cuon" or "com" or "pho" is made, you immediately know how to use those words.

"nau goi cuon" is wrong. because it's made by hand not use fire or oven.
    Làm gỏi cuốn is right, but better is "gói gỏi cuốn" __Leaves are used to wrap the product
    Similarly, "làm bánh xèo" is slightly right, the correct words are "đổ bánh xèo" because rice flour is mixed with water and stired then poured into a small pan
    Nấu cơm is right, because you have to use a pot and fire. (in modern time, electricity is used instead of fire)
    "nấu phở" is ambiguous, it can be right or wrong. The exact words is "nấu một nồi phở". Because you have to use a pot and fire., you have to put bánh phở, water, meat, cow-bone,...into a pot then make a fire.
    Pha trà, pha cà phê are correct words
    Other juices, "làm" is used.
    Ex: Tôi sẽ làm cho bạn một ly sinh tố
    HOwever, "làm một ly coctail" and "pha một ly coctail" are all right.

NOte: "làm bánh tét" = "gói bánh tét", "làm bánh chưng"= "gói bánh chưng",....(leaves are used to wrap the products)
    Also, "làm gỏi cuốn", "làm nem", "làm tré",...and "gói gỏi cuốn", "gói nem", "gói tré" are all right
    In addition, You should know:
    Làm bánh chưng, bánh tét = gói bánh chưng, bánh tét + nấu bánh chưng bánh tét.

Before "nấu bánh chưng" or "nấu bánh tét" you have to "gói bánh chưng" or "gói bánh tét.
    After wrapping bánh chưng or bánh tét (gói bánh chưng or bánh tét), you put it into a big pot with water to cook (nấu)

When a person says "Hôm nay tôi phải làm cơm đãi khách", naturally you know by context that he/she have to make a meal to serve the guests.
    In this case, "làm cơm" means "làm bữa cơm"/"prepare/ make a meal" cooking several dishes

english learner is right fija admires his/her talent

Thank you very much Fiji-that was very good to get this together!

Hi, I am kind of new to the community. All very interesting as I saw first hand VN food preparation outside my hotel at many small eating places all about.
    Nhất tự vi sư , bán tự vi sư : This I like. i tried the Vdict google and EvTran translator on this phrase and got a very different result -something about Buddist monks and a professor which shows the shortcomings of the machine translation! No doubt it will improve with time.
    I am slowly learning some Vietnamese with goal for communication with friends now and ̣for my another trip to VN.
    Chào Birgit,
    I worked out your thank you "Cam on rat nhieu" for the reply as Cám ơn rất nhiều. I finally figured out the microsoft on-screen VN keyboard doing this. Think i would like to buy a dedicated VN keyboard. Without using the correct special VN characters and accent marks can native readers/speakers figure out the meaning? Does written vietnamese use exclamation point?
    Rod
    Last edited by n4qnx; 03-25-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: make some correction