Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Hello from a teacher in West Virginia

Thread: Hello from a teacher in West Virginia

ecmatheny

Smile Hello from a teacher in West Virginia

I have a new student from Vietnam who is 12 years old. I teach science and I would like to find tips on how to make his experience as pleasant as possible in our school. I do not know how much he understands so far. The school has just plopped him into classes. I think he has some english speakers in the home. I think his family are new immigrants staying with folks who are acclimated to America and have been here a long time.

He has an email address and I wrote him an email expressing my concerns. I suppose he can translate that and read it. He is very attentive and trying very hard to be a good student.

Does anyone know of resources or websites with the type of help I am looking for as a science teacher? Thanks for your help! I also would like to know more about the culture so I don't offend him in some way.

Thanks, Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by ecmatheny View Post
    I have a new student from Vietnam who is 12 years old. I teach science and I would like to find tips on how to make his experience as pleasant as possible in our school. I do not know how much he understands so far. The school has just plopped him into classes. I think he has some english speakers in the home. I think his family are new immigrants staying with folks who are acclimated to America and have been here a long time.

He has an email address and I wrote him an email expressing my concerns. I suppose he can translate that and read it. He is very attentive and trying very hard to be a good student.

Does anyone know of resources or websites with the type of help I am looking for as a science teacher? Thanks for your help! I also would like to know more about the culture so I don't offend him in some way.

Finally, if you have any science words can't interprete into Vietnamese . Post them

Thanks, Elaine

I think, at first you should know some english-vietnamese or vietnamese-english science words to express to him so that he could understand the subjets better.
    I also think that most of Vietnamese students are very diligent. They are ready to work hard, especially their family always encourage them

I can help you with science words. Just send me the worksheets I will translate them into Vietnamese. I will try my best to help you. PM me I will give you my email.
    As far as I know in VN they don't have the same lab equipments and materials. He will have to learn how to use the equipments correctly. Don't worry he will be great.
    What do you teach in 6th grade Science? Tell me the outline and material I will translate them also. This will help him to have a general idea what to expect in class.
    Do you have some kind of assessement test like the TAKS in Texas?

And don't worry too much about offending him. He will love to have you as a teacher.