Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
My blog for helping Vietnamese learners - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My blog for helping Vietnamese learners

It's hard to explain....

In fact, both "đó" and "kia" means "that" if it's used to refer to a place, a location in the position. You can used each of them. No problem ! No difference.

But in the time, there is no rule for them. You can't exchange between them. If not everyone will misunderstand your mind.

There are a lot of expressions:
    - ngày đó / hôm đó = that day
    - sau đó = after that (in the time)
    - ngày kia / ngày mốt = the day after tomorrow
    - ngày hôm kia = the day before yesterday

After listing out these expressions, I suddenly think that it's better for you to understand "that" = "đó" in the time. The word "kia" is used quite rarely and usually combined with another words to be able to have the meaning.

hope that help

Default Can you add an adjective ?

Quote Originally Posted by vietnamese4u View Post
    yes, you can
    no, you can use "1 lát" for all. No problem. Ah, about "a slice very thin", it means "1 lát mỏng" (a slice thin)

English-learner, you are quite right when you say "một lát bánh mì" but I think it's better to be "a slice of bread".
    I suggest "1 lát" = "a slice"
    Sometime, you can hear "1 khoanh" used for a slice cut in round. But don't get confused, in Vietnam, everyone can understand very well what you say about even you use "1 miếng", "1 lát" or "1 khoanh".

About the word "1 viên" or "1 cục". It's used to express a small piece in any shape
    Ex: 1 cục/viên kẹo (a piece of candy), 1 cục đá (a piece of stone)
    Sometime you can hear someone say "1 hạt". It means "a tiny piece" such as in "1 hạt sạn" (a piece of grit)
    Would it be possible to add an adjective to the words?
    Like "1 mieng nho" or 1 mieng rat nho? f.ex. at a vietnamese dinner table, when you only want a small piece more, when you are offered a big piece/ slice of something to eat?
    Or would you then say 1 hat nhua?

Thank you so much!
    I have another question.
    I find it very difficult to find out, what word to use for "look at, look for, look after".
    I know the word "xem" I can probably use that for whatching TV or looking in a book?
    But what about "looking for" a specific book in a bookstore? Can I use "xem thu" or is that only for taking a "look at" a lot of different books clothes in a shop? Or asking at the street,that I am "looking for" a restaurant or a shop?
    Or when I cannot find my bike and is "looking after" it or looking for my friend?( searching). Also "look in" a book?? In English, German, Danish etc. you use the words with a preposition, can you do that in Vietnamese?

Quote Originally Posted by birgit View Post
    Would it be possible to add an adjective to the words?
    Like "1 mieng nho" or 1 mieng rat nho? f.ex. at a vietnamese dinner table, when you only want a small piece more, when you are offered a big piece/ slice of something to eat?
    Or would you then say 1 hat nhua?
    yeah "1 miếng nhỏ" is 1 little piece or 1 small piece, and "1 miếng nhỏ hơn" is 1 smaller piece or 1 lesser piece.
    And "hạt" is something very tiny. For the measuring it just as big as a drop of water and it just small such as something that fittable into a tiny space between your 2 good teeth, so I don't think you want to eat some piece with that size, right?
    Last edited by LtDra; 05-31-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Thất bại lớn nhất của đời người là tự đại
    Đáng thương nhất của đời người là tự ti.
    Tự đại + Tự ti = thất bại đáng thương nhất

Thank you so much!
    I have another question.
    I find it very difficult to find out, what word to use for "look at, look for, look after".
    I know the word "xem" I can probably use that for whatching TV or looking in a book?
    But what about "looking for" a specific book in a bookstore? Can I use "xem thu" or is that only for taking a "look at" a lot of different books clothes in a shop? Or asking at the street,that I am "looking for" a restaurant or a shop?
    Or when I cannot find my bike and is "looking after" it or looking for my friend?( searching). Also "look in" a book?? In English, German, Danish etc. you use the words with a preposition, can you do that in Vietnamese?
    Look at = nhìn (vào) . Ex: look at the book =nhìn vào quyển sách or Look at that dog= nhìn con chó kia.
    Look for = Tìm,kiếm or tìm kiếm. Ex: he look for his bike = anh ấy tìm kiếm xe đạp của anh ấy.
    Look after= trông chừng, coi chừng, ... Ex: Đừng lo, tôi sẽ coi chừng chiếc xe đạp của anh. Nó se không bị mất đâu. = Don't worry, I will look after for your bike. It won't be stole.
    Last edited by LtDra; 06-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.

About "1 miếng nhỏ", LtDra explained very well for you. I just want to say: yes, you can (for your questions)

Thank you so much!
    I have another question.
    The word "xem" can be combined with another words to have a specific meaning.
    For examples:
    - Xem thử = look in to know whether it's good or not before choose it
    - Xem chung quanh = look around
    - Xem lại = look back, review
    - Xem xét = look into, find the facts
    ... but in Vietnamese, there is no word can combined with "xem" to have the meaning is "look for", so we have to use the synonym of it is "search" means "tìm". Yes, "tìm" = "search/look for".

LDra,
    Let's scrutinize English - Vietnamese
    —Verb phrases
    20. look after:
    a. to follow with the eye, as someone or something moving away: She looked after him as he walked toward the train station.
    b. to pay attention to; concern oneself with: to look after one's own interests.
    c. to take care of; minister to: to look after a child.

*Đừng nhầm với to watch: coi chừng.
    6. watch (to keep guard): She was assigned to watch at the door.

To steal (steal, stole, stolen): trộm cắp.

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    LDra,
    Let's scrutinize English - Vietnamese
    —Verb phrases
    20. look after:
    a. to follow with the eye, as someone or something moving away: She looked after him as he walked toward the train station.
    b. to pay attention to; concern oneself with: to look after one's own interests.
    c. to take care of; minister to: to look after a child.

*Đừng nhầm với to watch: coi chừng.
    6. watch (to keep guard): She was assigned to watch at the door.

To steal (steal, stole, stolen): trộm cắp.
    Thank you bác Mạnh.
    I understood " to watch" as well, but in some case they have the same meaning.
    I was trying to say "Look after" is an responsibility of "take care" of someone or something when he/she/it or they have left behind with out any attention or guardian.
    EX: Their aunt LOOKED AFTER them while their mother was in hospital.
    Cô của chúng đã trông chừng chúng trong khi mẹ chúng nó nằm viện.

So l "look after" is same mean with "take care"(trông nom , trông chừng hộ). Phải không bác.
    Last edited by LtDra; 06-06-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Hên quá hông ai thấy chữ understook của mình

Quote Originally Posted by LtDra View Post
    Look at = nhìn (vào) . Ex: look at the book =nhìn vào quyển sách or Look at that dog= nhìn con chó kia.
    Look for = Tìm,kiếm or tìm kiếm. Ex: he look for his bike = anh ấy tìm kiếm xe đạp của anh ấy.
    Look after= trông chừng, coi chừng, ... Ex: Đừng lo, tôi sẽ coi chừng chiếc xe đạp của anh. Nó se không bị mất đâu. = Don't worry, I will look after for your bike. It won't be get stole.
    Bác LtDra,
    Chữ bike là xe 2 bánh (hoặc 3 bánh như xe của Đức Quốc Xã). Bác muốn nói xế nổ thì dùng motorbike, còn xế điếc thì bicycle.

Và it won't be stolen, không cần chữ get.

lâu quá không thấy bác.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDra View Post
    Thank you bác Mạnh.
    I understook " to watch" as well, but in some case they have the same meaning.
    I was trying to say "Look after" is an responsibility of "take care" of someone or something when he/she/it or they have left behind with out any attention or guardian.
    EX: Their auntie LOOKED AFTER them while their mother was in hospital.
    Cô của chúng đã trông chừng chúng trong khi mẹ chúng nó nằm viện.

So l "look after" is same mean with "take care"(trông nôm , trông chừng hộ). Phải không bác.
    Đúng rồi bác. Trông nom chứ không phải nôm.

Bác để ý một cái là chữ auntie/aunty thường được dùng trong văn nói. Văn viết thì nên dùng chữ aunt.