Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Translation help, ASAP. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Translation help, ASAP.

I agree with English-learner about the Vietnamese translation of "warning".

I think the better version should be: "Chú ý: Làm ơn đừng đổ nước lau sàn bẩn ở đây. Đây là nơi rửa chén đĩa."
    Last edited by Phong Lan; 05-11-2009 at 06:05 PM.

FluffynpinK

Quote Originally Posted by MANH NGUYEN View Post
    Here you go, words by words:
    Thông báo: Xin vui lòng đừng đổ nước dơ lau sàn nhà ở đây.
    Đĩa được rửa ở đây.

Notes
    * All the above translations are correct, understandable ....
    * Your English version sounds like a joke to me (or to us). The water coming from the sink or from the floor is definitely dirty, mixed with a lot of scums....Why can't it be dumped at the same drain-ditch?

Of course its not a joke.
    If you use your common sense, water that you have used to wash the floor should not be poured into the kitchen sink, where dinner plates are kept & where dinner plates are washed CLEAN.
    This is for my work place and I offered to make it seeing as the Vietnamese people, who are cleaning, do not speak Icelandic nor English (they do not speak either, people have been speaking to them in both languages and they just shake their head and do not understand) & for me to practice my Vietnamese, as I do have a passion for languages.
    We have often found hairs in the sink, it's not very appetizing to use the dishes after seeing what the sink looks like.
    I find your answers disrespectful & rude after I asked for help.

Thank you english-learner & Phong Lan.
    I will use the more polite one, I don't want the notice to come across as rude.

WARNING: Please do not pour dirty mop water here. Plates are washed here.
    Ban ko noi dua nhe? OK. Toi dich cho ban .....

POLITE NOTICE: The Management kindly requests that staff do not pour dirty water into the sinks used for cleaning plates.

After all, why be specific regarding mop water when there is no end to people's invention!
    Last edited by Tricky42; 05-12-2009 at 01:08 AM.

FluffynpinK

Why be rude when people ask for help?

Besides, I wanted to keep it in simple English for those who are not from Vietnam & cannot speak fluent English.
    Last edited by FluffynpinK; 05-12-2009 at 01:30 AM.

no fluffynpink, no one was rude, they just answered your request by their way
    there are two good translations for you from PhongLan and english-learner. you can choose

No, fluffy pink. I'm not being rude. Your intended notice was rude. The word WARNING implies a threat to the reader. Why don't you try talking to your employees rather than putiing up provocative notices?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky42 View Post
    No, fluffy pink. I'm not being rude. Your intended notice was rude. The word WARNING implies a threat to the reader. Why don't you try talking to your employees rather than putiing up provocative notices?
    Oh, I imagine if fluffy pink tells the boss this case and the boss says to fluffy pink "make a sign to stop it!"

And I recognize that some Vietnamese people have no sense of responsibility. They smoke before the sign "no smoking" or shoot rubbish in the public etc....
    A sign don't works but a sign to warn goes with punishment is needed

Do you seriously mean it, english-learner? I don't see any relation between "some Vietnamese people have no sense of responsibility" mentioned in your post and FluffynpinK's Vietnamese employees - who may be just little bit careless/sloppy.If they don't understand English, I think just a Vietnamese gentle notice can work .
    Last edited by Phong Lan; 05-13-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phong Lan View Post
    Do you seriously mean it, english-learner? I don't see any relation between "some Vietnamese people have no sense of responsibility" mentioned in your post and FluffynpinK's Vietnamese employees - who may be just little bit careless/sloppy.If they don't understand English, I think just a Vietnamese gentle notice can work .
    I think English learner is mentioning to Vietnameses who are living in VN. (sorry I didn't mean to hurt any one here)
    Thất bại lớn nhất của đời người là tự đại
    Đáng thương nhất của đời người là tự ti.
    Tự đại + Tự ti = thất bại đáng thương nhất

Quote Originally Posted by LtDra View Post
    I think English learner is mentioning to Vietnameses who are living in VN. (sorry I didn't mean to hurt any one here)
    You can click to read what Vietnamse crictic Vietnamese in Tuoi Tre newspaper
    http://www.tuoitre.com.vn/Tianyon/In...&ChannelID=237
    The newspaper released on May 6th 2009