Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
I would appreciate some help for a short translation

Thread: I would appreciate some help for a short translation

Hybrid View

Post I would appreciate some help for a short translation

Hello,

I'm back with another request.

My novel is near to be finished.
    I need another short translation.
    The contetxt is : Lan Anh is an 18 old girl born from a deceased Vietnamese mother and a French father.
    Seyha is a 38 old woman born from a Khmer mother and a Vietnamese father, she's in love with Lan Anh's father.

Here after is the short dialog I'm requesting a translation for.

- Lan Anh, I'm in love with thy (your) father, I do love him deep in my heart.
    - I'm aware of.
    - I do not intend to replace thy (your) mother.
    - You'd be bad advised to do that.
    - Lan Anh don't be so aggressive, I'm aware of how hard it cou'd be for thee (you) to accept the idea of seeing another woman in love with thy (your) dad.
    - You're wrong Seyha, I'm very happy to see that daddy's starting to live again. It was just a warning to tell you that you've to stay in your role. I can accept you as a friend not as a spare mother.
    - I've no intention of being more than thy (your) friend Lan Anh. I liked thee (you) right away.
    - All's right then.

Thx for your help

شَيْطان Sheitan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheitan View Post
    Hello,

I'm back with another request.

My novel is near to be finished.
    I need another short translation.
    The contetxt is : Lan Anh is an 18 old girl born from a deceased Vietnamese mother and a French father.
    Seyha is a 38 old woman born from a Khmer mother and a Vietnamese father, she's in love with Lan Anh's father.

Here after is the short dialog I'm requesting a translation for.

- Lan Anh, I'm in love with thy (your) father, I do love him deep in my heart.
    - I'm aware of.
    - I do not intend to replace thy (your) mother.
    - You'd be bad advised to do that.
    - Lan Anh don't be so aggressive, I'm aware of how hard it cou'd be for thee (you) to accept the idea of seeing another woman in love with thy (your) dad.
    - You're wrong Seyha, I'm very happy to see that daddy's starting to live again. It was just a warning to tell you that you've to stay in your role. I can accept you as a friend not as a spare mother.
    - I've no intention of being more than thy (your) friend Lan Anh. I liked thee (you) right away.
    - All's right then.

Thx for your help

شَيْطان Sheitan
    You may know that Vietnamese language has many forms of address for "you" and 'I". Based on your clarifications of the ages of the two characters, I translated the forms of address as they would be spoken properly in Vietnamese. However, "I" can also be translated with the informal "Tôi" if the characters do not have a respectful relationship with each other. The "Tôi" or "I" is usually reserved for addressing strangers. Here's the translation:

Lan Anh, Cô yêu cha của cháu, cô yêu ông ta trong thâm tâm của cô
    Cháu biết điều đó
    Cô không có ý định thay thế mẹ cháu
    Khuyên cho cô biết đó là hành động thiếu thận trọng
    Lan Anh đừng có gây hấn như vậy, Cô biết là việc khó khăn như thế nào để cháu chấp nhận quan niệm một người đàn bà khác yêu thương cha cháu.
    Cô lầm rồi Seyha, cháu rất vui mừng khi thấy cha bắt đầu sống trở lại. Đó chỉ là một cảnh giác để nói với cô là cô phải thủ vai trò của cô. Cháu có thể chấp nhận cô làm một người bạn nhưng không làm một người mẹ thừa.

Cô không có ý định gì hơn làm người bạn của cháu, Lan Anh. Cô đã thích cháu ngay từ lúc đầu.

Vậy thì tất cả đều ổn.
    Last edited by carolton67; 07-23-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Hi, I've got a question. There's a mention about 'Spare mother', what does that mean? I only know of 'Step-mother'.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman68 View Post
    Hi, I've got a question. There's a mention about 'Spare mother', what does that mean? I only know of 'Step-mother'.
    Hello,

spare is used with the same meaning as in "spare part" to describe a woman that will try to behave the way she would if she was the true mother.

شَيْطان Sheitan

Quote Originally Posted by carolton67 View Post
    You may know that Vietnamese language has many forms of address for "you" and 'I". Based on your clarifications of the ages of the two characters, I translated the forms of address as they would be spoken properly in Vietnamese. However, "I" can also be translated with the informal "Tôi" if the characters do not have a respectful relationship with each other. The "Tôi" or "I" is usually reserved for addressing strangers. Here's the translation:

Lan Anh, Cô yêu cha của cháu, cô yêu ông ta trong thâm tâm của cô
    Cháu biết điều đó
    Cô không có ý định thay thế mẹ cháu
    Khuyên cho cô biết đó là hành động thiếu thận trọng
    Lan Anh đừng có gây hấn như vậy, Cô biết là việc khó khăn như thế nào để cháu chấp nhận quan niệm một người đàn bà khác yêu thương cha cháu.
    Cô lầm rồi Seyha, cháu rất vui mừng khi thấy cha bắt đầu sống trở lại. Đó chỉ là một cảnh giác để nói với cô là cô phải thủ vai trò của cô. Cháu có thể chấp nhận cô làm một người bạn nhưng không làm một người mẹ thừa.

Cô không có ý định gì hơn làm người bạn của cháu, Lan Anh. Cô đã thích cháu ngay từ lúc đầu.

Vậy thì tất cả đều ổn.
    Thx a lot for your translation

شَيْطان Sheitan

Lan Anh, co yeu cha chau, co yeu ong ay rat chan th
    Chau biet dieu do
    Co khong co y dinh thay the me chau
    khuyen cho co biet lam dieu do la xau xa
    Lan Anh, chau dung qua hung hang nhu the, co biet la kho khan cho chau nhu the nao de chap nhan y nghi mot nguoi phu nu khac yeu cha minh
    Co sai roi Seyha, chau rat vui khi thay cha minh bat dau yeu doi tro lai. Do chi la mot loi canh bao cho co biet rang co phai o dung vai tro cua minh, chau co the chap nhan co nhu mot nguoi ban chu khong the la mot nguoi me thay the.
    co khong co mong muon nao hon la lam nguoi ban cua chau, co da men chau ngay luc dau.
    This is my understanding about the situation, hope your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldinhan View Post
    Lan Anh, co yeu cha chau, co yeu ong ay rat chan th
    Chau biet dieu do
    Co khong co y dinh thay the me chau
    khuyen cho co biet lam dieu do la xau xa
    Lan Anh, chau dung qua hung hang nhu the, co biet la kho khan cho chau nhu the nao de chap nhan y nghi mot nguoi phu nu khac yeu cha minh
    Co sai roi Seyha, chau rat vui khi thay cha minh bat dau yeu doi tro lai. Do chi la mot loi canh bao cho co biet rang co phai o dung vai tro cua minh, chau co the chap nhan co nhu mot nguoi ban chu khong the la mot nguoi me thay the.
    co khong co mong muon nao hon la lam nguoi ban cua chau, co da men chau ngay luc dau.
    This is my understanding about the situation, hope your reply.
    I'm sorry, but an diacriticless translation is abolutely useless.
    I don't know much about vietnamese language, but I'm aware that without the accents (diacritics) its strictly impossible to understand the meaning of the words.

شَيْطان Sheitan