Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Vietnamese is hard

Thread: Vietnamese is hard

Hybrid View

Dargo

Default Vietnamese is hard

I've really come to appreciate how important context and slang is to figuring out what was written. Trying to look up individual words in the vietnamese dictionary proves to be almost useless, with so many variations of meaning based on accents and/or context of the message as a whole.

For example I tried looking up words in this message (which is a combination of english and vietnamese and could'nt figure it out exactly.

Lemon question chanh. It has been a while. Lau qua o thay m len Net chit chat choi. No where star? Neu vay thi sugar you you go, sugar me me go. Like is afternoon..)

Could someone help?

thank you,

Dargo

Quote Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
    I've really come to appreciate how important context and slang is to figuring out what was written. Trying to look up individual words in the vietnamese dictionary proves to be almost useless, with so many variations of meaning based on accents and/or context of the message as a whole.

For example I tried looking up words in this message (which is a combination of english and vietnamese and could'nt figure it out exactly.

Lemon question chanh. It has been a while. Lau qua o thay m len Net chit chat choi. No where star? Neu vay thi sugar you you go, sugar me me go. Like is afternoon..)

Could someone help?

thank you,
    Here is what I think.

Question snobby. It has been a while. Do you want to talk on the internet?

No where star? (I don't no what this means though) If so, then ......... Like this (or is) afternoon.

Not understanding vietnamese and especially and broken-english slang makes it very hard to figure out meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargo View Post

Could someone help?

thank you,
    Chảnh : haughty (lemon = chanh + question = ?)
    Không sao đâu : It is OK, not a big deal (no = không + star = sao + where = ở đâu)...These terms are crazy and unpredictable, you don't really need to learn!