Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Definitions

Thread: Definitions

Hybrid View

Default Definitions

In the plaque at Oc Eo I came across two expressions: "Tiền điện" and "xà bần" that I cannot be sure of the dictionary definition unless "điện" means 'chamber.'
    Also, is area given as 'm' instead of 'sq. m.' and does "đường kính" mean 'diameter' or 'thickness'?
    Here is the sentence on "Tiền điện," area and "đường kính":
    "Phần chính điện ở phía Tây và phần tiền điện ở phía Đông, kiến trúc này có điện tích 488,88m được cấu tạo như sau: Toàn bộ kiến trúc được xây dựng trên một nền đá khối rất lớn (đường kính 40-50cm) đặt trên lớp đất sét nền, bên trên là những tảng đá nhỏ trộn lẫn với gạch vỡ tạo thành mặt bằng của nền bên dưối."
    Here is the sentence on "xà bần":
    "Phần chính điện nằm ở phía Tây dài 22m, rộng 16,04m, ở giữa chính điện có 4 ngăn lớn hình chữ nhật, mỗi ô có cạnh dài khoảng 4m, rộng 2,30m được lắp từ nền đá bên dưới cho đến mặt bằng bên trên bằng nhiều lớp xà bần và gạch xây liên tiếp."
    Thank you.
    Last edited by joysenas; 08-01-2009 at 06:51 AM.

điện = electricity (điện lực) / temple
    tiền = bill, money / in front of
    => tiền điện = electricity bill / in front of temple

chamber = viện
    đường kính = diameter
    xà bần = mixed brick & sand pieces (http://www.tuoitre.com.vn/Tianyon/Ca...426/212426.jpg)

I still do not understand why 'an extremely large block of sandstone' (đá khối rất lớn) is only 40-50 cm. in diameter.
    I thought 'an extremely large block' would be 40-50 cm. thick.
    Thanks again.

yes, you are right, I think the writer was mistaken because there's not a diameter for a block, but here he wrote "đường kính" (clearly means diameter). Maybe he meant about thick or width or height of the block.

extremely large block? is it too large for the 40-50cm thick?

The "extremely large block" of sandstone (đá) is the floor of the main chamber of the temple that was excavated at Oc Eo. If so, 40-50 cm. diameter will be very small.
    The "writer" would be someone in the Vietnam Government Archaeological Office or whchever office is in charge of archaeology and excavation in Vietnam.
    Please read my first message for the full quotation. May be it will be clearer to you than me.
    Thanks.

and that I cannot be sure of the dictionary definition unless "điện" means 'chamber.'
    "Tiền điện"ELECTRIC|AL BILL/PAYMENT
    IN THIS CASE FRONT BUILDING
    "xà bần"BROKEN MATERIALS
    CHAMBER IS USED NOT SUITABLE HERE.
    "đường kính"
    DIAMETER