Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Need help with translation.

Thread: Need help with translation.

Hybrid View

Default Need help with translation.

Hi,

I am a newbie. Can someone help me translate this cu gieng. My friend say to use this to help with the white spot on my arm. Please tell me what this is. So I can go and buy it. Don't know what it look like either. Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by lola View Post
    Hi,

I am a newbie. Can someone help me translate this cu gieng. My friend say to use this to help with the white spot on my arm. Please tell me what this is. So I can go and buy it. Don't know what it look like either. Thanks in advance for your help.
    You misspelled it. It's củ riềng. It is a type of aromatic root similar to ginger and saffron but smaller in size. I think the English name may be galingale. However, the only place you will be able to get it is in Asian stores or Vietnamese markets. In Vietnamese markets, they don't use the English name, you will find it in the produce section pre-wrapped in plastic Styrofoam or in plastic bags; or ask anyone who works in the store if they have "củ riềng" and they will show you where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by carolton67 View Post
    You misspelled it. It's củ riềng. It is a type of aromatic root similar to ginger and saffron but smaller in size. I think the English name may be galingale. However, the only place you will be able to get it is in Asian stores or Vietnamese markets. In Vietnamese markets, they don't use the English name, you will find it in the produce section pre-wrapped in plastic Styrofoam or in plastic bags; or ask anyone who works in the store if they have "củ riềng" and they will show you where it is.
    But I think the correct word may be "Alpinia".

It could be galingale or alpinia. I'm not sure. Alpinia are perennial rhizomatous herbs of Asia and Australia and Polynesia having ginger-scented rhizomes. I know that if you go into a Vietnamese supermarket and say you want to buy galingale or alpinia, they will have no idea what you are talking about.