Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 456
Wrong Vietnamese Definitions

Thread: Wrong Vietnamese Definitions

Hybrid View

babyangelcml

Default Wrong Vietnamese Definitions

I was checking the word spoonerism to see its definition in Vietnamese, and I think the Vietnamese definition is wrong. Spoonerism in English means the transposition of usually initial sounds in a pair of words. For instance,

# We all know what it is to have a half-warmed fish ["half-formed wish"] inside us.

# The Lord is a shoving leopard ["loving shepherd"].

# It is kisstomary to cuss ["customary to kiss"] the bride.

# Is the bean dizzy ["dean busy"]?

# When the boys come back from France, we'll have the hags flung out ["flags hung out"]!

# Let me sew you to your sheet ["show you to your seat"].

This means the Vietnamese definition of spoonerism has to be sự nói ngược instead of sự nói ngọng.

This is not the only word that is translated wrong. How can we learn effectively when there are wrong definitions in the dictionary? I'd like to see some changes.

It is current very simply word by word. It is need to translate base on standard structure.

For example:

Bạn khỏe không?---> It is translated: Does You feel well?

It is like crazy, and unnomarl.

But you guys are working hard and keep going.

Thanks.

Hix! I don't understand this post!

Can you translate it to Vietnamese language? Thanks you very much!

Sorry, for my bad English!
    If I make a mistake when I write in English, advise me right away. If not, I won't know where I'm wrong (cám ơn carolton67 đã sữa giúp)

Nếu tôi có viết tiếng Anh sai chỗ nào, chỉ tôi liền nhé! Chứ không ấy thì tôi chả biết tôi sai nữa!

Quote Originally Posted by 愛してる View Post
    It is current very simply word by word. It is need to translate base on standard structure.

For example:

Bạn khỏe không?---> It is translated: Does You feel well?

It is like crazy, and unnomarl.

But you guys are working hard and keep going.

Thanks.
    Dear Junior Member,

Your advice for translation is not right. Ý kiến của bạn về việc thông dịch không có đúng. You can not translate literally word for word because you will get the wrong translation. Bạn không thể nào phiên dịch theo nghĩa của từng chữ một vì bạn sẽ nhận được sự thông dịch sai. For example, if you translate word by word the phrase "không sao đâu" you will get "no star where". This is wrong. Besides your usage of written English grammar is wrong in many places. "It is need to translate base on standard structure" is grammatically wrong. Ngoài ra việc sử dụng văn phạm anh ngữ của bạn bị sai ở nhiều chổ. Câu bạn khoẻ không? Bạn đã viết It is translated: Does you feel well? Không phải là Does mà là Do you feel well? Thông thường câu hỏi này không có phiên dịch như vậy. Usually this question is not translated this way. To translate you have to understand the cultural setting also. Khi phiên dịch bạn phải hiểu được cái môi trường văn hóa. Thông thường câu "Bạn có khoẻ không?" là câu hỏi xã giao vá không có trịnh trọng. Usually this question is a casual courtesy question. Cho nên nó được dịch là "How are you doing?" hoặc "How are you?" chứ không phải là "Do you feel well?" The phrase "Do you feel well?" is only appropriate to use when you notice that someone is sick or a Doctor may ask a patient. Câu "Do you feel well" chỉ có thích hợp sử dụng khi bạn để ý người nào đó đang bị bịnh hoặc bác sĩ có thể hỏi bịnh nhân.

Quote Originally Posted by babyangelcml View Post
    I was checking the word spoonerism to see its definition in Vietnamese, and I think the Vietnamese definition is wrong. Spoonerism in English means the transposition of usually initial sounds in a pair of words. For instance,

# We all know what it is to have a half-warmed fish ["half-formed wish"] inside us.

# The Lord is a shoving leopard ["loving shepherd"].

# It is kisstomary to cuss ["customary to kiss"] the bride.

# Is the bean dizzy ["dean busy"]?

# When the boys come back from France, we'll have the hags flung out ["flags hung out"]!

# Let me sew you to your sheet ["show you to your seat"].

This means the Vietnamese definition of spoonerism has to be sự nói ngược instead of sự nói ngọng.

This is not the only word that is translated wrong. How can we learn effectively when there are wrong definitions in the dictionary? I'd like to see some changes.

Hmm. In Vietnamese we call it "nói lái". For example:

Con cá đối nằm trên cối đá.
    Mèo đuôi cụt nằm mút đuôi kèo.

Khoái ăn sang nên ... sáng ăn khoai.

Thủ tục đầu tiên là ... tiền đâu.

A Vietnamese poet who is known for her usage of "nói lái" was Hồ Xuân Hương. She cleverly transformed topics that were considered a taboo in Vietnamese culture to talk about like sex and gender inequality, into something that sounded more acceptable to the public through using "nói lái".

Another translation for spoonerism is "nói lịu" -- but I don't think this is accurate, because lịu suggests a lack of intention, almost like a Freudian slip. Spoonerism implies more thought, and so it should be translated as "nói lái".

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by laluz; 05-09-2007 at 01:00 PM.
    Bạn muốn học tiếng Anh? Hãy bấm vào My Space

babyangelcml

Thank you, laluz. Nói lái is the word I'd like to see as a definition of spoonerism.